When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

"“I would obviously be delighted if it came earlier, but I’d be quite surprised if we had a highly effective vaccine ready for mass use in a large percentage of the population before the end of winter, certainly before this side of Christmas."

sounds more like hes hedging his bets and doesnt want to give false hope (fair enough)...

I think the bit in bold is key. If we can get most vulnerable and frontline workers jabbed, the rest of us might be OK to start going to mass gatherings (albeit with more focus on hygiene and maybe temp checks?).

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I think the bit in bold is key. If we can get most vulnerable and frontline workers jabbed, the rest of us might be OK to start going to mass gatherings (albeit with more focus on hygiene and maybe temp checks?).

Yeah, in fact I would have just highlighted "highly effective" and "mass use"

3 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Sorry but temp checks do nothing. They aren’t catching any cases of coronavirus.

You can either host mass gatherings or you can’t. Once you shove thousands of people into a crammed enclosed space with no distancing if someone has the virus, it’s going to spread. Focus on hygiene in the venue is practically impossible, people can sanitise their hands all they like but because it’s airborne, unless everyone is wearing masks transmission is going to be unstoppable.

The only way to get around the mass events ban would be to test everyone prior to entry. But that relies on rapid-testing being available or to alternatively have the NHS test and trace app which can issue out green QR codes like they do in China to show that you’ve been tested within the last x hours and don’t have the infection.

1 hour ago, Wellyboot said:

This!! I mean, I know there's nothing we can do about it and you've gotta deal with it, but the thought of next year being anything like this one is enough to tip people over the edge. Proper depressing. Fingers crossed!

I guess it's all dependent on hospitalisation/death numbers over the winter. If cases continue to go up but we never get close to a March situation again, where does the line get drawn?

The preventable cancer deaths will start to catch up with us soon too, plus i imagine there will be a right wing focus on flu figures over winter, so not sure how sustainable focusing on one disease of many is going to be for their popularity if cases keep getting found but deaths stay relatively low. 

3 minutes ago, Homer said:

I can't say I'm shocked. I know a few friends of friends who were forced to work full time. The employers are basically defrauding the country during an international crisis. Not ideal!

And it gives them a legitimate reason to extend as little help as possible to people in future crises, with support of the public, just like the 'benefits scroungers with 10 kids' mean the public largely supports a horrible benefits system. 

Ok...prediction time then...

I reckon we won't have a massive 2nd wave that means we have another lockdown, but at same time we'll have to keep in place social distancing and mask wearing same as we have now, with extra restrictions in places where they have outbreaks, and this will be the norm for the rest of this year and the first half of next year. By next summer cases will be down again, and vaccine use will start to become more widespread globally. I also think there will be more chaos with schools and exams, and this winter will be fairly shit for a lot of families who are out of work.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Uncle Vlad will save us

Russia aims to ramp up production of its potential Covid-19 vaccine to between 1.5 million and 2 million doses a month by the end of the year, Reuters reports.

At that rate they'll have their whole population vaccinated in about 5 years 😂. Dont think we'll need to worry about having to use theirs! 

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, in fact I would have just highlighted "highly effective" and "mass use"

I would have just paraphrased it to hope for the best but plan for the worst. 

Part of me also thinks that it’s all gone quiet on the oxford vaccine front and wonders why.  Is this good news (e.g. if it doesn’t work they would have binned it by now), bad news (someone, somewhere would be jumping for joy if it actually worked), or no news?

Just now, ShakeyCrash said:

Part of me also thinks that it’s all gone quiet on the oxford vaccine front and wonders why.  Is this good news (e.g. if it doesn’t work they would have binned it by now), bad news (someone, somewhere would be jumping for joy if it actually worked), or no news?

No news. Still in the middle of tests!

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

‘Negative nellies’?

Show some respect we are in the middle of a pandemic where 60k people in this country have died. So please excuse some people that aren’t jumping up and down about things just yet. 5 months ago today we went into nationwide lockdown, some people are still scared and it will take time for that to dissipate.   

You can retain a positive outlook whilst also respecting all of the things which have happened previously.

Negative Nellie's was probably a little to far so apologies.

Just now, ShakeyCrash said:

I suppose whilst its tested at the various stages they won't release any data to show how its going ? and they can only do that at the end of the various stages when they have completed full data analysis ..... @Toilet Duck

Negative Nellie but I don’t think we will have a gigantic second wave per say. But I think this current period that we are in now is probably what we will have to get used to for a while. I can see them bringing in some sort of family rule for Christmas, that you can’t have a family gathering above a certain number or something.

It will be bullshit but its 100% something I can see this Tory government introducing. Then there will obviously be some flouters of the rules on the front pages of the papers, and some celebrity who gets in hot water for holding a mass gathering Christmas party.

I’m not a prophet I promise, but I can’t see things loosening before Christmas. They will introduce some stupid Christmas rule that plenty of people will break.

Edited by Matt42

17 minutes ago, ShakeyCrash said:

they got their funding so now they're enjoying a nice holiday.

17 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

I know but hospitalisations this week in Spain are 1400, which is double the figure from last week. That's more why I'm worried as it does seem to be increasing hospitalisation figures. Deaths are also increasing there too.

Here's an interview with a Spanish doctor, interesting response from the interviewers,

Hope we get something back soon from Brazil and/or America. The rhetoric at the time was it could be 2 months if the rate of transmission is high or 6 months if not. Brazil and America are quite big so it may be down to where the vaccines were administered and when (announced at the end of June that they were doing the phase 3 trials there).

I just thought that the health organization’s may have an indication by now and this may impact the message they are delivering but of course this is oversimplification. Personality comes into play so the scientists often are far more analytical and therefore guarded than politicians for example. If only we had a briefing where we could ask these questions directly.

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I can't say I'm shocked. I know a few friends of friends who were forced to work full time. The employers are basically defrauding the country during an international crisis. Not ideal!

I am a bit. I don't know of anyone who worked in furlough. Or at least anyone who owned up to it.

My employers were super strict. I know there were some staff who asked about volunteering for us in some way while off and were told absolutely not

21 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Here's an interview with a Spanish doctor, interesting response from the interviewers,

So he went against the media fear narrative and got completely shut down. They seemed to basically laugh at him for saying things aren't really that bad, and treat him like some mad conspiracy theorist.

The media are not helping really as there are hysterical headlines every time cases go up even slightly, but I guess they make a lot of money from all this. I just wish there was some more balanced reporting 

• Upvote 1