When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

49 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Am I too much of a square here or is this just selfish?

My brother in laws parents live in Bolton (currently under restrictions) and have travelled down to the south coast this week. They are staying in a Premier or Travel Inn and have seen one of the grand kids that lives near Portsmouth and are now today going to see my sister, their son and my 2 nephews for lunch. Now this is going to be outside and socially distanced but they live in Bolton, why on earth do they think it's ok to travel down to a part of the country that isn't under tightened restrictions!?

I'd be interested to know other peoples thoughts, I think this is selfish or is it me?

If people in more restricted areas didn't travel beyond those areas, I'd have been a lot less busy with work over the last few weeks.

I don't think, from what you describe, that they're doing anything against the guidance.  From my understanding it's gathering in homes that is to be avoided, not gathering per se.  And from my own experience here in one of England's most touristy town, there's loads of gathering going on.

Edited by fatyeti24

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

I run a guest house in the Lake District.

Very fancy, good that you've been busy.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Worth remembering that if they haven’t really seen many people in the last week or two then there’s no reason to think they’re a higher risk than Joe Bloggs just because they happen to be from Bolton

I know I know. I know if it was me I wouldn't be travelling I think it's irresponsible, but that's just me.

A German university has organised a series of pop concerts under coronavirus conditions, hoping the mass experiment with 4,000 people can determine whether large events can safely resume, AFP reports.

The singer, Tim Bendzko, agreed to give three separate performances over the course of the day in eastern city Leipzig, allowing researchers from nearby Halle University to try out different configurations for the gigs.

Only young, healthy volunteers were allowed to attend in a bid to limit infection risks.

As the audience arrives at the Leipzig Arena concert hall, they will submit to a temperature check.

All the participants will wear masks meeting the high-protection standard, as well as an electronic device allowing tracking of their movements within the space.

Using fluorescent disinfectants, the researchers will also be able to see which surfaces concert-goers most often touch with their hands.

And the scientists will even track the trajectories of tiny aerosol particles breathed out by attendees, believed by experts to play a role in infections.

The ultimate aim of the experiments is to find out whether concerts and other large events could be allowed to resume while avoiding contamination risks.

Data collected on Saturday will flow into a mathematical model to help judge risks of the virus spreading in a large concert venue, with results expected in the autumn.

41 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Yes technically I think what they plan to do is ok, although why on earth people would think it's ok to leave an area with those restrictions I'll never know. The other issue is it's blowing a gale today so I don't know how they will sit and eat outside.

Bolton itself is not a high infection area. I would relax a little bit. Most (not Oldham) of GM has made great strides in the last few weeks to get the numbers down.

People need a break, unlike March, it really does make sense to balance COVID health and mental health now.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Very fancy, good that you've been busy.

I know I know. I know if it was me I wouldn't be travelling I think it's irresponsible, but that's just me.

It's been very, very busy up here since restrictions were lifted, and I'm half living in fear of a new local lockdown, business-wise it could be fatal.

But it hasn't come to pass, and nationwide the numbers seem to be heading in the right direction.

I just hope we can make it through the summer unscathed, bank the money and hibernate as much as possible through the winter.

Though I feel that if I posted some photos of my village on this thread it might push one or two over the edge!

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bolton itself is not a high infection area. I would relax a little bit. Most (not Oldham) of GM has made great strides in the last few weeks to get the numbers down.

People need a break, unlike March, it really does make sense to balance COVID health and mental health now.

I do have a habit of over-thinking everything and analysing every part so that could be part of it. I still think it's partly irresponsible though. I get that people need a break however this virus won't be around forever so if staying in your area for a bit longer helps then especially as they are from an area with tightened restrictions I feel that is worth it to minimise the risk of infection.

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's been very, very busy up here since restrictions were lifted, and I'm half living in fear of a new local lockdown, business-wise it could be fatal.

But it hasn't come to pass, and nationwide the numbers seem to be heading in the right direction.

I just hope we can make it through the summer unscathed, bank the money and hibernate as much as possible through the winter.

Though I feel that if I posted some photos of my village on this thread it might push one or two over the edge!

I'm glad business has picked up mate, that's good for you guys. In my line of work we are seeing a lot of business struggle, I work in finance so I hope you can work your way through it. What's the infection rates been like with you?

6 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Been here 9 years and I've never seen it this busy. I'm thinking about going to London for some peace and quiet

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I do have a habit of over-thinking everything and analysing every part so that could be part of it. I still think it's partly irresponsible though. I get that people need a break however this virus won't be around forever so if staying in your area for a bit longer helps then especially as they are from an area with tightened restrictions I feel that is worth it to minimise the risk of infection.

22 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'm glad business has picked up mate, that's good for you guys. In my line of work we are seeing a lot of business struggle, I work in finance so I hope you can work your way through it. What's the infection rates been like with you?

Honestly, I've no idea.  I've been rushed off my feet with work (so much more cleaning than usual - and there was always lots - and we can't afford a cleaner to help this year) and so keeping tabs on that side of things has been left to announcements made by the council and Cumbria Tourism, and how they would affect my work.  Digging deeper into the numbers isn't on my to-do list.

I know we've been very fortunate to have had a good summer after being closed for so long, and I'm really grateful to have a job still.  I know many others are in much worse circumstances.

6 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Been here 9 years and I've never seen it this busy. I'm thinking about going to London for some peace and quiet

Ha!  The Brits have more than taken up the slack caused by the lack of Chinese haven't they?

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Ha!  The Brits have more than taken up the slack caused by the lack of Chinese haven't they?

They really have. Although the behaviour of some the Brits, I wish they hadn't bothered, even though I depend on them for my living. We've has a few arseholes but I've heard some horror stories from mates in tourism. There's a campsite in the north Lakes which has just closed for the summer because they decided putting up with all the pricks wasn't worth it

14 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

They really have. Although the behaviour of some the Brits, I wish they hadn't bothered, even though I depend on them for my living. We've has a few arseholes but I've heard some horror stories from mates in tourism. There's a campsite in the north Lakes which has just closed for the summer because they decided putting up with all the pricks wasn't worth it

Yeah I've heard similar. Thankfully not been affected directly yet though. 

44 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

How is it now? Didn't feel too bad when we were up there (at least compared to the horror stories of abandoned cars and the like) but I guess it was mostly during the week and not weekend.