When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Very true! Italy introduced maximum pricing, that has to be the way to go. In the lab, we’d buy a box of 100 brand name surgical masks for about 16 euro, my local pharmacy is currently selling a box of 50 for €90...madness. Lidl was selling them for half that, but it’s still a ripoff. Also not exactly environmentally friendly to use a ton of disposable masks each week, so washable, reusable ones with more than 1 layer are the way to go. 

This is Britain - the Tory MPs will have created companies to buy them all up to sell at a massive profit 😔

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, 2m vs 1m has a significant impact on risk (symptomatic or asymptomatic isn’t really the issue, asymptomatic carriers account for a large chunk of infections). The Lancet paper published recently was fairly unequivocal about this (it’s based on how far larger droplets spread).

Thankyou. So how does it actually spread among the asymptomatic when socially distanced, is it just through speech/breathing? And at what point would you feel masks were no longer necessary? 

56 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I've seen comments on employment forums talking about 60% cuts for some staff. It just reads to me like an opportunistic clean out of legacy contracts. But, as I said, I don't know their figures - maybe it really is that bad.

My neighbour has worked for BA for years and she reckons it’s mostly an excuse and they've been desperate to get rid of loads of staff and renegotiate contracts for ages. She’s furloughed until end of June, but apparently they won’t furlough beyond that as they’re desperate to get redundancies through ASAP as they don’t want to risk things picking up again.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

27 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

This is Britain - the Tory MPs will have created companies to buy them all up to sell at a massive profit 😔

A bit like Mogg just before the Brexit vote selling off U.K. stock for a huge profit!

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My neighbour has worked for BA for years and she reckons it’s mostly an excuse and they've been desperate to get rid of loads of staff and renegotiate contracts for ages. She’s furloughed until end of June, but apparently they won’t furlough beyond that as they’re desperate to get redundancies through ASAP as they don’t want to risk things picking up again.

Redundancy was the best thing that every happened to me, albeit not from BA.  But if you are a certain age it can transform into a very favourable early retirement deal.  In saying that I suspect I am of the last generation that that will apply to.    

8 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Thankyou. So how does it actually spread among the asymptomatic when socially distanced, is it just through speech/breathing? And at what point would you feel masks were no longer necessary? 

Honestly, figuring out how it spreads is still a work in progress. Normal speech, breathing, laughing etc all create droplets and aerosols. But keeping distance between people reduces spread. The greater the distance, the lower the risk of spread. Source control with masks helps when the distance is reduced. 

30 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

A bit like Mogg just before the Brexit vote selling off U.K. stock for a huge profit!

To be fair to him, it was always going to happen.  It's not like he's hiding the fact he's making money off the decisions he's involved in. It is just no one seems to care. (Broadly speaking, caveat to say when I say no-one I mean the "majority").

3 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Virgin Atlantic were especially brutal on their staff. I agree they do seem to be tough with their people. This quarantine will certainly harm the airline industry even more though, not making an excuse for them though. 

I have to disagree however friends at VS are looking at leaving into jobs like teaching & police.

My mom at BA predicted the new contract agreement, one she did not have to do as legacy crew.

The airline industry is in real trouble & I feel sorry for my friends.

52 minutes ago, Bisque said:

I have to disagree however friends at VS are looking at leaving into jobs like teaching & police.

My mom at BA predicted the new contract agreement, one she did not have to do as legacy crew.

The airline industry is in real trouble & I feel sorry for my friends.

Didn’t Branson want his staff to take 8 weeks unpaid leave at the start of this, even though he has considerable personal wealth? He then was looking to sell his island to fund the business after the backlash and gov funding didn’t work out. The company to be fair might be fine but I meant what Branson was doing. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I've seen it posted elsewhere - what a strange situation as she's (seemingly) as Tory as you come. 

Internal in-fighting that only makes sense to the in-fighters, on public display in jobs supposed to be serving the country.  

Really rubbing it the voters faced I think.

Edited by EasyUserName
Deleted random letter I left by mistake

3 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I've seen it posted elsewhere - what a strange situation as she's (seemingly) as Tory as you come. 

Internal in-fighting that only makes sense to the in-fighters, on public display in jobs supposed to be serving the country.  

Really rubbing it the voters faced I think.

I agree, I don’t think it’ll look to well on them. The bit at the end of the article I found interesting that as we come out of COVID, Boris wants a more competent Cabinet. 

The other thing I think is important is that Cummings isn’t a Tory which could explain part of it. He’s in Whitehall to change it around and has even said he doesn’t care about how it impacts them. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I agree, I don’t think it’ll look to well on them. The bit at the end of the article I found interesting that as we come out of COVID, Boris wants a more competent Cabinet. 

The other thing I think is important is that Cummings isn’t a Tory which could explain part of it. He’s in Whitehall to change it around and has even said he doesn’t care about how it impacts them. 

Penny Mordaunt in and Priti Patel out does seem like it's prioritising competence over ideology, I must say.

I do not like Priti Patel. In a sort of way I'd dislike anyone that would announce I'm not allowed to move freely round the EU with a smile brimming with pure smug. Weird one though coz surely the standing up for DomCum was widely viewed as a bad move? Also the world's predictably moved on at this point so firing her for that and bringing it back is a weird move.

If anything fire her for condemning the statue removal today. 

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

this is encouraging. I’m hoping to be able to go away in October.

Would guess you’ll be fine. We’ll go through this 2 week thing because they announced it too early then it will get binned.

August, September, October it will be raining and folk will be flying abroad to catch some rays.

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Branson ... has considerable personal wealth?

It's mostly myth. His wealth is mainly in assets, and generally in assets that trade at a loss. He's good at finding mug punters to buy a chuck of a business and often shits on the mugs too.

Never trust a man who started with VAT fraud, got caught, but then had family contacts sort the legals in his favour. ;) 

2 hours ago, Ozanne said:

Seriously what does he have on them? That's insane whoever it is

Is this making sure everyone is fully loyal ahead of no deal? Ensuring nobody says anything but what they're told about the effects?