When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

To be honest if people feel safe enough to go to mass demonstrations and to days out on crowded beaches then they should be back at work where with social distancing measures they would probably be much safer.

Furlough was a scheme to protect people’s jobs and the economy whilst we were under lockdown. People are now treating it like a big holiday and if lockdown isn’t going to be respected anymore then they may as well try and reopen things.

I don’t like this government but too many people are trying to shirk responsibility for their own poor decisions .

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Where have you guys been? This lockdown has never been properly enforced and certainly not for the past month or so.

Yup, Times pretty much confirms we're back to the original 'strategy':

So apparantly it's better to trigger an actual bloodbath...

Edited by Mr.Tease

13 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

It just seems unfair that festivals have been scrapped not just the big g but little ones like 2000 trees yet people are being allowed to meet up in tens of thousands to protest something which happened across the pond, now I am American born and have being upset and shocked by the way things have played out but I just don’t feel that the uk needs to risk hundreds of people dying to protest this. We all stand with George floyd but we can’t let another peak happen as a consequence of these protests. I still think it’s very important to voice our support for the movement but this is not the time to do it on an epic scale. Other ideas like a kneel at your front door on a certain time would be way more appropriate. It’s such a hard call to make. 

This is one of the worst takes in this whole topic for me. 
The two things aren’t even remotely comparable. Bringing up the idea of it being UNFAIR that there’s been one off cancellation of festivals because of a genuine medical need, compared to hundreds of years of systemic abuse and oppression is laughable. We’re ultimately talking about the root of this being slave ships kidnapping people from Africa, shipping them across the Atlantic and selling them as if they are possessions. 

On the other hand, sdsm123 isn’t being allowed to go to Bearded theory. SOCIAL JUSTICE OUTRAGE! 

To pick up on one other comment here - people aren’t being ‘allowed’ to protest. The government have actively said don’t protest. But that’s kind of the point of a protest, no? 

13 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

There are other ways to show support. Online protests and petitions . Something of the ilk of clap for Carers every night or everyone turning off their electricity for an hour in line with the pause for thought protest.
Crowds of thousands during a pandemic is not the best way to do it.

The thing is, do those things work? Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the anthem in 2016. His contract wasn’t renewed. When it comes to systemic abuse people don’t listen to simple acts of peaceful defiance. 

Out of Emily Davison throwing herself under the King’s horse, and women standing around with rosettes on, which made more difference in bringing about universal suffrage? 

Do you think Maggie That her would I’ve abandoned the Poll Tax if people had stood outside their front doors and shouted ‘shame on you Mrs Thatcher’? 

People are angry and want things to change, and this is the only way they can see that they can help bring about that change, and I for one don’t fucking blame them. 

I personally am not at the stage of wanting to join a protest myself because of Covid, but that’s probably my white privilege isn’t it. 

Edited by blutarsky
Typo
  • Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Boris hasn’t got a clue. 

11293CC3-F58F-4EF2-91BC-0DBA60A88A2E.jpeg

I think last time they kind of got forced into implementing a lockdown because every other country was doing it, including parts of the US, and people and business's were starting to take matters into their own hands. This time I don't think we'll be so lucky- I think Trump has given them a bit of cover by 'opening up' the US, plus they'll say "oh we tried a lockdown but we just can't afford it- we've got our pretend track and trace system in place and we'll use local lockdowns". They myth of local lockdowns is that there's no national financial support behind them (so no furloughing, et), so they'll likely be unworkable, but they'll allow the get to try to shift the blame.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

To be honest if people feel safe enough to go to mass demonstrations and to days out on crowded beaches then they should be back at work where with social distancing measures they would probably be much safer.

That's not what the science says. Being indoors makes it significantly more dangerous. 

17 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

This is one of the worst takes in this whole topic for me. 
The two things aren’t even remotely comparable. Bringing up the idea of it being UNFAIR that there’s been one off cancellation of festivals because of a genuine medical need, compared to hundreds of years of systemic abuse and oppression is laughable. We’re ultimately talking about the root of this being slave ships kidnapping people from Africa, shipping them across the Atlantic and selling them as if they are possessions. 

On the other hand, sdsm123 isn’t being allowed to go to Bearded theory. SOCIAL JUSTICE OUTRAGE! 

To pick up on one other comment here - people aren’t being ‘allowed’ to protest. The government have actively said don’t protest. But that’s kind of the point of a protest, no? 

The thing is, do those things work? Colin Kaepernick took a knee during the anthem in 2016. His contract wasn’t renewed. When it comes to systemic abuse people don’t listen to simple acts of peaceful defiance. 

Out of Emily Davison throwing herself under the King’s horse, and women standing around with rosettes on, which made more difference in bringing about universal suffrage? 

Do you think Maggie That her would I’ve abandoned the Poll Tax if people had stood outside their front doors and shouted ‘shame on you Mrs Thatcher’? 

People are angry and want things to change, and this is the only way they can see that they can help bring about that change, and I for one don’t fucking blame them. 

I personally am not at the stage of wanting to join a protest myself because of Covid, but that’s probably my white privilege isn’t it. 

I think they do work when enough people get behind it.A petition signed by millions or  the world turning its lights out for 30 minutes would leave a much stronger impression on me than the videos of the attacks on police horses ( mostly from white  people from what I’ve seen) and people drinking beers in the streets that we saw yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I think they do work when enough people get behind it.A petition signed by millions or  the world turning its lights out for 30 minutes would leave a much stronger impression on me than the videos of the attacks on police horses ( mostly from white  people from what I’ve seen) and people drinking beers in the streets that we saw yesterday.

How did the revoke article 50 petition that got over 7 million signatures go?

11 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

And millions on the street would make even more of an impact. 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And millions on the street would make even more of an impact. 

Nope. I get the impression that too many people are seeing it as a chance to go out drinking and be in a crowd with their mates after been frustrated in lockdown. Seeing hundreds of boozed up people throwing bottles at and attacking the police undermines the cause completely.

Just now, Dave85radiohead said:

Nope. I get the impression that too many people are seeing it as a chance to go out drinking and be in a crowd with their mates after been frustrated in lockdown. Seeing hundreds of boozed up people throwing bottles at and attacking the police undermines the cause completely.

I'm sure there are way more peaceful protesters than not, but that doesn't make as good TV. 

2 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

hundreds ? id question that !!

32 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think last time they kind of got forced into implementing a lockdown because every other country was doing it, including parts of the US, and people and business's were starting to take matters into their own hands. This time I don't think we'll be so lucky- I think Trump has given them a bit of cover by 'opening up' the US, plus they'll say "oh we tried a lockdown but we just can't afford it- we've got our pretend track and trace system in place and we'll use local lockdowns". They myth of local lockdowns is that there's no national financial support behind them (so no furloughing, et), so they'll likely be unworkable, but they'll allow the get to try to shift the blame.

I think you're completely right about this. There won't be a second lockdown now, no matter what the numbers do. I'm actually feeling pretty anxious about the whole thing as the idea of the public just having to reduce transmission without any kind of government back up is pretty nuts. We're definitely not out of the woods yet but the government are determined to act as if we are.

I do support the protests though and ordinarily would go along. As @blutarsky says it's probably partly my privilege at work that means I choose not to.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

68 million live in the UK, but only 17,410,742 voted for Brexit...

Yes but the petition only got 7 million signatures. If the other 51 million had felt upset at Brexit they surely would have signed.

I think Brexit will be a huge mistake but people voted for it twice so it’s where we are . 

43 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I’m not claiming to have seen everything and may well be wrong, but the reports of people pulling police from horses weren’t borne out by what I saw. The only footage I have seen involving police horses showed a mounted officer riding into a traffic light and falling from her horse. Granted this may have been because the horse was spooked, but my partner showed me the same footage from a different angle which was being presented as ‘protestors pull officer off horse’. 

I suppose what I am saying, is cast an objective and critical eye/ear over everything you see/hear. 

3 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

Yes but the petition only got 7 million signatures. If the other 51 million had felt upset at Brexit they surely would have signed.

I think Brexit will be a huge mistake but people voted for it twice so it’s where we are 

I think you overestimate the amount of people that sign petitions. 7 million is a huge amount considering the initial vote numbers. But yes people are idiots and did vote for it you are right. I've just always been of the belief that if we make a mistake we should try to reverse it and no deal Brexit is going to fuck this country good and proper, even more so post Covid.

Anyway speaking of Brexit apparently Boris now thinks his own deal is bad.

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You might want to look away from this poll...

I just Googled and found out Des Lynam is/was a UKIP supporter then I click on here and see this. I might go back to bed...

Edited by Homer

13 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I think you overestimate the amount of people that sign petitions. 7 million is a huge amount considering the initial vote numbers. But yes people are idiots and did vote for it you are right. I've just always been of the belief that if we make a mistake we should try to reverse it and no deal Brexit is going to fuck this country good and proper, even more so post Covid.

Anyway speaking of Brexit apparently Boris now thinks his own deal is bad.

I think it’s unfair to call everyone who voted for Brexit an idiot. The remain campaign was terrible. They didn’t focus on any of the positive things the EU has done for us or the benefits we get.

They just threatened people and focused on the negative stuff all the time. It really was an awful campaign.

2 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

I think it’s unfair to call everyone who voted for Brexit an idiot. The remain campaign was terrible. They didn’t focus on any of the positive things the EU has done for us or the benefits we get.

They just threatened people and focused on the negative stuff all the time. It really was an awful campaign.

Just been on Facebook and seen loads of people sharing Jamie Oliver’s open letter to Johnson re chlorinated chicken 

Did a quick google and found these. What a fucXing hypocrite 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nMeftdr5Lss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qcgAQGbEI

4 minutes ago, Dave85radiohead said:

Yeah probably wrong to call everyone an idiot, I was being flippant. Also a lot of those people did think they would get some sort of decent deal out of it, which is obviously not the case now. Anyway this is all off topic.