When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I guess if you like the house and plan to stay in it for a while then even if prices do drop, they'll eventually creep back up again.  Any house I buy will be for the long term so I'm trying not to think about it too much.  Hope your sale goes through smoothly.

Likewise! And thanks, hope you get something as well 🙂

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

It doesn’t really mean a lot either way though, at least not at this stage. February/March they hit highest levels since the financial crisis. May was slap bang in the middle of the pandemic. A lot of completions in May would’ve had the prices negotiated down in some situations, in many cases just through opportunism more than anything. 1.7% is not a lot in that respect really. As the article suggests, we will probably see the whole market pause for about 6 months now before we really know the real impact.

The other factor with the housing market is where all this homeworking stuff lands - as more companies become open to it, what people value in a house will change. It won't be immediate, but over the next few years I'd expect city centre prices to stagnate a bit, and larger houses (with room for home offices) to be at a premium.

Just rang up about a house that came on last night to ask them to send the video tour - they've had 30 calls about it this morning already!   It was already competitive around here but with fewer houses on the market I can see this being a nightmare now until things pick up again.   I wouldn't buy a house purely from a video tour either, I'd have to see it in person but some people are happy to do it, happened with another house I saw recently.  Can't see me buying anytime soon at this rate 🙁 

5 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Just rang up about a house that came on last night to ask them to send the video tour - they've had 30 calls about it this morning already!   It was already competitive around here but with fewer houses on the market I can see this being a nightmare now until things pick up again.   I wouldn't buy a house purely from a video tour either, I'd have to see it in person but some people are happy to do it, happened with another house I saw recently.  Can't see me buying anytime soon at this rate 🙁 

My understanding is you can view houses in person if you’re a series buyer, if you’ve got a mortgage offer etc. 

My house is up for sale (put it on in Feb 🤦🏻‍♂️) and this is what they told me, only serious buyers and no tyre kickers.

They’re also hassling me to make a video tour for them, but it means tidying the place up.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My understanding is you can view houses in person if you’re a series buyer, if you’ve got a mortgage offer etc. 

Yep, the other house sold during the full lockdown so I think they bought it from the video tour only although I suppose they could now just view it and pull out if its not what they expected.  Was going to see the video tour for this other one and if we like it try and book a viewing, but not looking like there will even be much point if we're up against 30+ others as its already at the top of our budget 😔

I quite like the idea of a video tour prior to viewings, I think if they kept those going after the pandemic is over it could save people time as non serious buyers might not feel the need to go ahead with a full viewing.  

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

My house is up for sale (put it on in Feb 🤦🏻‍♂️) and this is what they told me, only serious buyers and no tyre kickers.

They’re also hassling me to make a video tour for them, but it means tidying the place up.

Do it for sure .. I had my flat on the market last year and was looking at some of the photos on Rightmove .... some of them were terrible and no effort at all made to tidy up things ... it makes a terrible impression with me both of the estate agent and the seller ... maybe just me ... strangely I had about 6 viewings in 6 months and decided to remove my flat from the market after only receiving one very low offer at.. was wanting a place with a small garden so I could build a mini Glastonbury area :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Do it for sure .. I had my flat on the market last year and was looking at some of the photos on Rightmove .... some of them were terrible and no effort at all made to tidy up things ... it makes a terrible impression with me both of the estate agent and the seller ... maybe just me ... strangely I had about 6 viewings in 6 months and decided to remove my flat from the market after only receiving one very low offer at.. was wanting a place with a small garden so I could build a mini Glastonbury area :) 

Oh absolutely, I wouldn’t do the video without making the place immaculate. The problem is in the middle of a pandemic with no likely buyers my motivation to tidy all the lockdown crap I’ve accumulated through the house is fairly low.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Oh absolutely, I wouldn’t do the video without making the place immaculate. The problem is in the middle of a pandemic with no likely buyers my motivation to tidy all the lockdown crap I’ve accumulated through the house is fairly low.

You might be surprised if its anything like my area, a shortage of properties might mean there is more interest in your place.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Not all videos show a property in the best light:

All the sensible people have flown in before the quarantine starts - my brothers have (from Germany and Croatia).

Which makes the quarantine a bit pointless now.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Chris Witty tell all interview by the end of the year?

I am sure he was to do the briefing the day of the infamous Cummings press conference. Suddenly he didn’t appear. I think he might be getting a bit fed up being played by Boris and co. 

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

I am sure he was to do the briefing the day of the infamous Cummings press conference. Suddenly he didn’t appear. I think he might be getting a bit fed up being played by Boris and co. 

Apparently they didn’t agree with Cummings actions and left. 

15 minutes ago, Neil said:

All the sensible people have flown in before the quarantine starts - my brothers have (from Germany and Croatia).

Which makes the quarantine a bit pointless now.

It seems like it's going to be very weakly enforced anyway. My sister and her partner and his mother are coming over from Sri Lanka for the summer from mid June. She's already said the first thing they'll be doing is heading to the supermarket. And no one will stop them.

That said the chance of someone from Sri Lanka (where the numbers are tiny and the lockdown has been real) bringing it in must be absolutely tiny.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It seems like it's going to be very weakly enforced anyway. My sister and her partner and his mother are coming over from Sri Lanka for the summer from mid June. She's already said the first thing they'll be doing is heading to the supermarket. And no one will stop them.

Going to the supermarket is allowed, as is getting public transport from the airport.  Not really a quarantine at all is it...

Edited by Cream Soda