When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Despite the data to support their effectiveness, it's absolutely mental that we still have to essentially bribe people to get vaccinated 

It is... And like, if you didn't want the vaccine because you were worried about its health impact (however wrongly), would you just say fuck it, I might win money?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It is... And like, if you didn't want the vaccine because you were worried about its health impact (however wrongly), would you just say fuck it, I might win money?

Yes, it's amazing how people suddenly ditch their principles for $$$

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

12 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Despite the data to support their effectiveness, it's absolutely mental that we still have to essentially bribe people to get vaccinated 

While I broadly agree, I also don't see any harm in doing so. While it probably won't swing a committed anti-vaxer, it's a neat way of picking up the last few people who're too lazy to get it done or who don't think they need to be concerned about COVID.

Would it be a bad thing if the Government announced that they were going to run a sweepstakes, with everyone who'd received both vaccine doses by whatever date automatically entered - say 50 winners of £100k each would cost the government a relatively trivial amount in context of the pandemic but that extra couple percent of people who it might tempt could make a huge difference to the overall protection levels.

1 minute ago, incident said:

While I broadly agree, I also don't see any harm in doing so. While it probably won't swing a committed anti-vaxer, it's a neat way of picking up the last few people who're too lazy to get it done or who don't think they need to be concerned about COVID.

Would it be a bad thing if the Government announced that they were going to run a sweepstakes, with everyone who'd received both vaccine doses by whatever date automatically entered - say 50 winners of £100k each would cost the government a relatively trivial amount in context of the pandemic but that extra couple percent of people who it might tempt could make a huge difference to the overall protection levels.

I think they should just give money to young people who get the vax, they've had a shit year, and probably need some cash.

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Not everyone who doesn’t want the vaccine is worried about it’s health impact though. Plenty just don’t see the point/can’t be arsed because they’re young and healthy anyway. Especially in America where actually getting time off work to get jabbed can be problematic.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

Young people will mainly get it for hassle free travel and access to festivals etc I would imagine.

All but confirmed they will be used for festivals 

I think the uptake for young people will be much better than some expect.

There will always be some helmets which won’t get it, but they are the youngsters which are a nuisance about everything so I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about it.

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This is sad. Parkrun is an amazing thing and has been responsible for thousands and thousands of people taking up running. The health benefits of this are enormous and contribute to extending people's life expectancy. 

The narrative that protecting people from covid is all the matters needs to shift now if we want to avoid the cure being worse than the disease. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Possibly not in the states, where this promo is being run. 

The US will happily agree to something that the UK would clutch their pearls at though.

The US will deny unvaccinated citizens way more freedoms, and it may even have implications with health insurance later down the line. The government will consider unvaccinated citizens not their problem, whereas the UK will try and straddle both groups.

There are some quotes this morning from the UK’s justice secretary Robert Buckland that are not going to go down well with the country’s anti-mask brigade. PA Media reports that he has said he would be minded to keep wearing a face covering in public if he was suffering with a cold, even after coronavirus restrictions are lifted.

He told Sky News: “I think that whatever the regulations might be, and clearly as we come out of this Covid period all of us want to see an end to the use of regulations so we can live our lives as we would want to live, there will be a certain sense I think for a lot of us to carry on wearing masks.

“I for one, if I’ve got a cold or a minor ailment, I think wearing a mask is going to be the right thing to do because I don’t want to spread my cold to somebody else.

“If I’ve got a runny nose and I’m still able to get out there and work, I think wearing a mask is not a bad idea if we can reduce the spread of even the common cold.”

He said “caution has been the watchword” when it comes to lifting restrictions, and that 21 June remained the “at the earliest” date for scrapping all measures.

58 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

In a way, it's not even 'I might win 5 million dollars'. Its really 'I'll get given a thing which is really worth a couple of dollars that if I wanted it that badly I could buy it myself! '

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

There are some quotes this morning from the UK’s justice secretary Robert Buckland that are not going to go down well with the country’s anti-mask brigade. PA Media reports that he has said he would be minded to keep wearing a face covering in public if he was suffering with a cold, even after coronavirus restrictions are lifted.

He told Sky News: “I think that whatever the regulations might be, and clearly as we come out of this Covid period all of us want to see an end to the use of regulations so we can live our lives as we would want to live, there will be a certain sense I think for a lot of us to carry on wearing masks.

“I for one, if I’ve got a cold or a minor ailment, I think wearing a mask is going to be the right thing to do because I don’t want to spread my cold to somebody else.

“If I’ve got a runny nose and I’m still able to get out there and work, I think wearing a mask is not a bad idea if we can reduce the spread of even the common cold.”

He said “caution has been the watchword” when it comes to lifting restrictions, and that 21 June remained the “at the earliest” date for scrapping all measures.

That’s not a bad thing though. If anyone wants to wear one, feel free. As long as it isn’t being forced by Government.

21 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

That’s not a bad thing though. If anyone wants to wear one, feel free. As long as it isn’t being forced by Government.

I was going to say that reads more like his personal opinion than a government mandate? It’s one I think many would agree with (although if you have a cold and can work from home, that would be preferable to commuting in/spreading it around the office).

The parkrun stuff is very sad but hopefully it will carry on. My local one gave permission and I’m excited to get back out there. Wonder if there will be smaller attendances to start with as people build their confidence.