When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

17 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

I was going to say that reads more like his personal opinion than a government mandate? It’s one I think many would agree with (although if you have a cold and can work from home, that would be preferable to commuting in/spreading it around the office).

The parkrun stuff is very sad but hopefully it will carry on. My local one gave permission and I’m excited to get back out there. Wonder if there will be smaller attendances to start with as people build their confidence.

Yeah I agree with him with masks of you have a cold and still HAVE to leave the house.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fake SAGE doubles down on test events being dangerous. Even WORSE than Pagel

It’s clear that their political views are fuelling a lot of what they are tweeting - attempting to damn the Government at every opportunity.

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

wow - what an absolute w*nker

To be fair - i did think it was very loaded, doing it in low prevalence times was always going to give us good favourable results and I imagine that was the plan. Anyone worried about covid wouldn't be convinced by it though- the only way to truly know is put infected people in there but that's unethical. Though I would take part in such a trial if there was one! 

Not that I'm complaining- with the high vaccination rate and us not going for zero covid this sort of thing should have been a formality, as it was shown to be. 

18 minutes ago, st dan said:

It’s clear that their political views are fuelling a lot of what they are tweeting - attempting to damn the Government at every opportunity.

18 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

wow - what an absolute w*nker

Can’t believe I’ve just read that from a scientist!! In shock!

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

To be fair - i did think it was very loaded, doing it in low prevalence times was always going to give us good favourable results and I imagine that was the plan. Anyone worried about covid wouldn't be convinced by it though- the only way to truly know is put infected people in there but that's unethical. Though I would take part in such a trial if there was one! 

Not that I'm complaining- with the high vaccination rate and us not going for zero covid this sort of thing should have been a formality, as it was shown to be. 

Isnt that kind of the point though? You are not going to be allowing large un protected events when the virus is running rampant are you? What would be the point in trialling an event under a situation that you would never allow such an event to happen? 😄 

She is talking complete nonsense. She's as bad as the covid conspiracy nuts just on the other end of the spectrum. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, st dan said:

Might be valid if she actually is a member of Independent SAGE.

She isn't.

She is a genetic epidemiologist.

57 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I’m not a fan of indie sage in the slightest, and feel that they’d have found a way to poo-poo the results regardless, but I will say saying there was only 15 positives from 58,000 is misleading at best. I was at the FA Cup final and only took my PCR yesterday, so probably won’t get them till tomorrow, and imagine the 22,000 who were there were in a similar position (and she probably is right that a lot won’t take it).

It is possible for it to be both too early to call the tests an unqualified success and for ISAGE to be talking bollocks.

Edited by balthazarstarbuck
Edit: didn’t realise she wasn’t ISAGE but the same general point still stands.

Just now, Barry Fish said:

To be honest the test events is nothing more than health theatre.  You could have 1 positive test of 10,000 and you still wouldn't know if they came from the event of not.

True. There appears to be no measurement whatsoever of how many tests were subsequently accurately completed or any enforcement of the requirement (not that there is any legal requirement).

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

yeah exactly. Its not supposed to show that there woudl be zero covid from the events, just that it wouldn't lead to a massive spike if you pre-test. 

Edited by zahidf

26 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

I’m not a fan of indie sage in the slightest, and feel that they’d have found a way to poo-poo the results regardless, but I will say saying there was only 15 positives from 58,000 is misleading at best. I was at the FA Cup final and only took my PCR yesterday, so probably won’t get them till tomorrow, and imagine the 22,000 who were there were in a similar position (and she probably is right that a lot won’t take it).

It is possible for it to be both too early to call the tests an unqualified success and for ISAGE to be talking bollocks.

Have you been anywhere before or after the cup final or mixed with others?

If so, then what's the point of the exercise. You could pick it up anywhere in mean time not at or travelling to / from the event 

21 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Do you support continued lockdown restrictions aimed purely at stopping people getting long covid? 

It's an interesting point but I don't think it's quite the slam-dunk you think it might be. The important things to consider are:

1) Worst case scenario with transmission due to more transmissible variants means the entire unprotected portion of the population catches it. We don't know if that will happen yet but it's the baseline, it's what the risk is. So 90% of people 18-30 get it. Some proportion of those will get long COVID.

2) The time it would take to vaccinate those people - probably an additional month if we accept the 70-80% reduction we'd get from a single dose. So we're not talking indefinitely continued lockdown just an extra month on top of the 15 we've already had. In an environment where many businesses have already adapted.

Again - not saying we should lock down for that - but it's a question I don't think either side has actually thought about. Is an extra month's lockdown worth preventing a huge number of young people getting long COVID?

21 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I think people are over egging the long covid stuff.  Any excuse not to go work.  Look at @steviewevie - any excuses to throw a sickie 

Yeah it exists but it always has...  post viral recovery isn't a new issue 

Yeah but we've not before had a virus this infectious circulating in the population. Consider diabetes for example - it's well understood, there's no cure, but it's manageable as long as it's diagnosed and the correct treatments are given. Not nice for the people who have to live with it, but they get to live their lives.

But if a highly infectious virus was going around that gave even 1% of people diabetes as a side effect, we wouldn't just go "oh just let people catch it, diabetes isn't new, the young people it affects can deal with it".

19 hours ago, mattiosmith said:

Are we safe with an overall 75% uptake? It looks like it's heading that way...

The 75% who have taken it will be!

23 minutes ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Yup - the tweets only point out that it's bad science to rely on people voluntarily taking a follow-up test after the event. Which it is. I've read enough Bed Goldacre to recognise a badly run trial when I see one. The trials were never going to give any great evidence anyway but her point that the methodology is flawed is spot on, regardless of what agenda you ascribe to it.

4 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Have you been anywhere before or after the cup final or mixed with others?

If so, then what's the point of the exercise. You could pick it up anywhere in mean time not at or travelling to / from the event 

Yep, I’ve been in work all week. Just following what the guidance told me to do.

Second point is a good question and not one I can answer. Would make more sense to me to do it immediately afterward. Was primarily just happy to be at a football match after 14 months, even as a neutral.

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

We clearly have...  

• Measles
  • Chickenpox
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Polio

All more infectious.  Need to stop pretending this sort of shit has never happened before,

Much more deadly as well. 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

We clearly have...  

• Measles
  • Chickenpox
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Polio

All more infectious.  Need to stop pretending this sort of shit has never happened before,

All with completed vaccination programmes in place though, right? And with vaccines that create sterilising immunity (and therefore we have herd immunity). And even I'm not saying we should wait until we have a vaccine that produces sterilising immunity to COVID to drop lockdown restrictions!