When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Most people around me are wearing masks in shops and social distancing, so this lot are definitely in a minority for sure.

Protests are also not exempt from the new lockdown measures so this lot should be broken up and fines handed out for sure.

Edited by FestivalJamie

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Most people around me are wearing masks in shops and social distancing, so this lot are definitely in a minority for sure.

Protests are also not exempt from the new lockdown measures so this lot should be broken up and fines handed out for sure.

yeah, I'd just wish they'd fuck off out of Manchester...numbers starting to come down here.

Edited by steviewevie

6 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Seen lots of mask wearing and distancing round my ways too so hopefully it is the minority being twonks! 

I'm glad people are largely following the new restrictions, I think it's because we know this is only a limited and temporary measure whereas last time was indefinite 

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

When we went into the last one it was only supposed to be a 3 week lockdown. 

I really doubt this will be more than a 4 week national one .... too much pressure with xmas ..... maybe we might see some kind of return once people have no money and we are back into a quiet phase after xmas .... I always remember the pubs and shops being dead then ... we wlll revert to tiers after the 2nd .... when hopefully infection rate has dropped everywhere 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Looks like an improvement on last Sunday. Even deaths fell week on week for the first time in a bit.

Feels like we are starting to turn the tide again. Hopefully these next 3.5 weeks can really put the virus on the ropes!!

hopefully some green shoots there :) in a weekend where there have been several :) 

Edited by crazyfool1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I really doubt this will be more than a 4 week national one .... too much pressure with xmas ..... maybe we might see some kind of return once people have no money and we are back into a quiet phase after xmas .... I always remember the pubs and shops being dead then ... we wlll revert to tiers after the 2nd .... when hopefully infection rate has dropped everywhere 

Agree! 

They have actually revoked the original tiers so when they come back I wouldn't be at all surprised if we have 5 like Scotland.

Tier 4 being as now and tier 5 is school closures and forms to leave your house.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Not wanting to stick up for factory farming too much but playing devil's avocado factory farming uses less feed and less power than more humane farming techniques. If we were to produce the volume of food produced by factoring farming by other methods ir would contribute even more to global warming.

Do you have any evidence/ reading on this, out of curiosity.

My point is do we need to produce meat at a level we do now? Is the problem that producing any food would commit the same amount of carbon emissions. - I mean some countries don't rely on eating meat for every meal, if we just scaled down our consumption of this stuff, then would the need for vast factory farms. 

Does meat alternatives cause as much pollution as factory farming.? Everything I've read suggests otherwise. There is transitional problems, in having species of animals that have literally been inhumanely bred to be used as meat. But in the long run there is many easy ways to reduce carbon emissions from our food source. Simplified as we just don't need to eat as much meat as we do (though I eat none anymore) But I know the problems are more complicated than the world going vegan. 

Because part of the reason factory farming is so damaging to the environment is because you have to produce food for the animals as well and we've bred far more of animals that otherwise wouldn't exist. 

Devil's avocado is a good phrase considering the issues with avocado farming

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Not wanting to stick up for factory farming too much but playing devil's avocado factory farming uses less feed and less power than more humane farming techniques. If we were to produce the volume of food produced by factoring farming by other methods ir would contribute even more to global warming.

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farming/environmental-damage/

This website that took seconds to google points out why factory farming puts out more emissions than alternative. Including thing like forestation to make room for land, having to also grow the feed, The animals themselves putting out emission in waste, "Factory farmed beef requires twice as much fossil fuel energy input as pasture reared beef"

Again I understand factory farming is a product of demand, but like everything now it has served is purpose, is unsustainable and is barbaric, we should move on to more ethical and sustainable alternatives now we have the means to. 3d food printers have already printed beef that has tricked people if you can't live without meat, a room full of those surely use less energy than a factory full of cows. 

2 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

Animals didn't evolve to be eaten by us, we forced that, that's why fucking horrible companies breed chicken without beaks or cut them off, because the beak isn't useful to a human so they decided to make the animal suffer. 

actually they have. they've been selectively bred to be docile, domesticated and physically larger, yielding more meat. they have been evolved to be eaten by us.

you could also argue that on a species level, the best thing an animal can do is to be useful to humans. chickens are, from an evolutionary perspective, probably the most successful bird on earth.

of course, thats to say nothing on the morality of it.

55 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I keep getting in quarrels on twitter with some of the dickheads who were at the protest in Manchester.

My mates dickhead wife was at it and I couldn't decide whether to engage as her view are blinkered and she is quite scary but just realised my mild mannered mums having a friendly go at her on Facebook. "Were there many NHS workers there?" Etc. Go Mum.

3 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

https://www.ciwf.org.uk/factory-farming/environmental-damage/

This website that took seconds to google points out why factory farming puts out more emissions than alternative. Including thing like forestation to make room for land, having to also grow the feed, The animals themselves putting out emission in waste, "Factory farmed beef requires twice as much fossil fuel energy input as pasture reared beef"

Again I understand factory farming is a product of demand, but like everything now it has served is purpose, is unsustainable and is barbaric, we should move on to more ethical and sustainable alternatives now we have the means to. 3d food printers have already printed beef that has tricked people if you can't live without meat, a room full of those surely use less energy than a factory full of cows. 

Given being an avocado for the devil is pro bono I'm not going to exhaust myself looking for counter claims but I quickly found this:

"There was little variability between production scenarios except for the grassfed, where the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions were 37% higher due to a longer finishing time and lower finishing weight."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24216416/

Basically if you are pasture feeding your cattle then it takes much longer and you get smaller animals. So by pound of meat you get more emissions.

The solution as you say is obvious, eat less(no?) meat, but if we are farming things then from an emissions point of view(there are plenty of other environmental problems other than emissions) we probably want to be intensive about it.