When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Yeah I agree. There are still ways to find enjoyment at the moment, there’s plenty of stories, music or various bits of culture we can still enjoy! 

I can’t be the only person who really struggles with music right now because listening to a band I like just hammers home the fact I can’t go and see them live? 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can’t be the only person who really struggles with music right now because listening to a band I like just hammers home the fact I can’t go and see them live? 

I get this, I'm fine listening to music as i would normally, but any live recordings or streams or anything like that makes me feel really sad.

It's like back in June, I'd built up the whole 'virtual Glastonbury' to be an event i'd enjoy but in reality it just made it a lot harder! 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

For maybe a year. And plenty of bands aren't on the road all the time anyway and you're waiting that long for a UK tour.

But I get more generally it can be a lack of being able to see any live music. But equally it can be a way to change your relationship with music. Put an album on and properly listen to it, outside of the live setting, with no distractions, on a good pair of headphones - it's amazing the subtleties you can pick up you didn't spot before.

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Yeah I thought I'd listen to loads this year, but I've gone the other way.  I've hardly heard anything outside of the radio being on in the background.  Only now am I getting around to listening to a few bits and bobs.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

For maybe a year. And plenty of bands aren't on the road all the time anyway and you're waiting that long for a UK tour.

But I get more generally it can be a lack of being able to see any live music. But equally it can be a way to change your relationship with music. Put an album on and properly listen to it, outside of the live setting, with no distractions, on a good pair of headphones - it's amazing the subtleties you can pick up you didn't spot before.

No no, it’s entirely possible that music is never coming back in its old guise. 

We've had our first day in Singapore since March with zero cases of community transmission. Only 4 new cases, all airport arrivals who go straight to quarantine. It's tempered by what's happening in the UK and the rest of the world, but some limited normality feels as close as it has for a long time.

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think that's fair. Maybe everything you do to unwind is gone under lockdown but plenty of things lots of us do for escapism, be it books, games, movies, music and so on still exist. It's just the out of home more social ones that have gone away. 

"Stupid" might be too generous to be honest. It's not just the risk they catch COVID, it's the risk they give COVID to someone else. That's when it stops being a personal, calculated risk.

All things you can sit at home and do, on your own. 

I really don't think you understand the issue is the removal of actual physical human interaction with other people. 

As I said yesterday we were locked down for months when numbers were lower AND everything was closed. At best these current restrictions will last as long in reality they are going to last longer because they are falling from a higher place and there is still interactions happening. 

A vaccine doesn't fix it, and a vaccine doesn't save all the businesses that are going to walk or suddenly save football clubs or your fave food vendor at Glastonbury or your music festival of choice.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

sooner or later we'll learn to live with covid, same as we do every other infectious disease.

It is pretty obvious, tho, that indoor gigs will be one of the last things to return to normal, no matter how effective a vaccine is.

But they will return, that’s the important thing. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think what you’ll see happening this time, is those that were very strict in the first lockdown and didn’t break any of the restrictions (which seemed to be a large majority) will start to have either of the following attitudes:

Oh I’m not doing that again, I scarified a lot last time and it didn’t get us anywhere’ (in terms of beating the virus) and/or;

Nobody else is sticking to it so why should I bother?’

Which is why they really need to allow some escape for people e.g. meeting with parents at home should be allowed, as long as you are in the same ‘bubble’ and not mixing with lots of different people. If they had something like that, I think you’d get a lot more people abiding. 

Yeah bubbles should be important. I follow every rule, have seen no friends since March and even then was adamant it would be over a year til I next saw them. The gf went for a couple of walks with hers as she needs that interaction more than me but no indoor contact. 

Yet people still go out in big chanting groups on the piss with the laaaads.

And that means it's and technically illegal to see my Dad this weekend, after we lost my Mum just 3 weeks ago today. 

And those same people will still be piling into people's houses and prolonging it all.

1 minute ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

No gurentee of that same for sport from the professional level down. 

There is no gurentee anything will some back anything like the same.

There’s no guarantee of anything in life. Why not believe that live gigs etc will return? There’s no harm in it and the hope might help!

My counsellor once told me that there’s no point just expecting the worst as you’ll feel bad anyway if it happens. Whereas if you try to focus on the good thing possibly happening you’ll be happier and have something to look forward. If that bad thing then happens you’ll feel bad but at least you’ll have had a period of time feeling happy and looking forward to something. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The same people calling for restrictions are now saying that we will learn to live with it eventually.

Bizarre.

If we’re going to learn to live with it, why not do it now? Or are you guys just kicking the can a few months with no intention of ever learning to live with it? 

The restrictions are being called for now as we could have a form of vaccine in the Spring. So you put restrictions in place now to help save lives through the winter then review come the Spring. 

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

One thing that really hit me the past few months is how much I select the music I listen to based on the bands I am seeing / could see at gigs and festivals. I'll usually just go down the list and listen to everyone (before stage splits/times are up) and then can make better decisions when there is a gap without a "must see". Support acts for bands I'm going to see as well to see if I fancy turning up early or not. 

And I've not really replaced this - only new stuff I listen to is from the bands I already know and like, and I've stopped discovering new stuff for similar reasons to what you've said. This has increased in line with my pessimism for next year 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The restrictions are being called for now as we could have a form of vaccine in the Spring. So you put restrictions in place now to help save lives through the winter then review come the Spring. 

And then when the vaccine found in spring is only 50% effective, you’ll be calling for more restrictions until a better vaccine is found. Rinse and repeat. 

Doesn't learning to live with it mean having social distancing, mask wearing and other restrictions permanently?

or does it mean we build massive health care infrastructure to cope with people suffering from this virus so services not overwhelmed?

or does it mean we just put all the old people and others who are vulnerable on an island somewhere so we can carry on partying?

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

And then when the vaccine found in spring is only 50% effective, you’ll be calling for more restrictions until a better vaccine is found. Rinse and repeat. 

Will I? I haven’t given any indication of that, in fact I haven’t said anything about that.