When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Is there data available on the level of transmission despite being double-jabbed? For example, what are the chances of someone protected against the virus and variants (to a certain degree) by being fully vaccinated but able to still transmit it? Is that even a possible scenario?

Howdy, hadn’t seen much on this, so didn’t want to speculate, but catching up on emails this evening, the study below in a letter to the NEJM was there! First reasonably large dataset I’ve seen on secondary attack rates among household contacts of vaccinated individuals…in a nutshell, after one dose of either AZ or Pfizer, about half as likely to pass it on (but also less likely to be infected). Of those that had a vaccine, 93% had only the one shot in this study, so we’ll need to wait a while to see what full vaccination looks like (cases are obviously much lower in those with full vaccination!). It’s only early data from an ongoing study, there will be much more to come from it, but it’s the best I can find at the moment to answer your question! (Kind of, I know you were asking about transmission after both jabs, but the study below probably identifies the lower bounds of the effect of vaccination on transmission).

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2107717

• Upvote 1

@Toilet Duck, whilst you're here, what's the crack (or craic is you prefer) with third doses? Are they only useful as boosters for fading antibodies, or can they actually eke out a little extra immunity - making the triple jabbed even more immune than they were when double jabbed?  Obviously diminishing returns are a factor, but would it theoretically give any more advantage?  

Assuming still targeting spike on all three doses.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@Toilet Duck, whilst you're here, what's the crack (or craic is you prefer) with third doses? Are they only useful as boosters for fading antibodies, or can they actually eke out a little extra immunity - making the triple jabbed even more immune than they were when double jabbed?  Obviously diminishing returns are a factor, but would it theoretically give any more advantage?  

Assuming still targeting spike on all three doses.

Howdy, if it’s the same sequence, then the principal benefit is keeping antibody titres up, if it’s an updated sequence with epitopes (the bits the antibodies recognise) from new variants, then it’ll expand your immunity basically! Frequent boosts would also keep parts of our cellular immunity at higher levels too (eventually we mostly just hold on to memory cells that know what to do, but take a little while to expand again and spring into action, so keeping all the other parts of the immune system on high alert is also beneficial). 

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

That would be a breach of the ministerial code. 

Does that matter with this lot? Johnson and Patel have both broken it and laughed it off.

Feels like they will keep Hancock around until ‘the end’ of the pandemic to be the sacrificial lamb/fall guy.

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

oh dear. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Hancock, but this is a bit shitty. His poor wife and kids for a start. He'll be gone now I expect.

The PM getting rid of Hancock for cheating on his Wife would be quite something given his own chequered past…

image.jpeg.71701373b063585479e8251f3da2f700.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

What do the NHS and Gina Coladangelo have in common?

They’ve both been fucked by Matt Hancock. 

😀

Dead man walking now isn’t he.

Edited by jparx

14 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

It's very hard to see how Johnson can take the high ground on this one! Wouldn't be surprised if Hancock stays in place for a bit longer so they can oust him when more convenient. 

As an aside, why is Gillian McKeith so excited about it?!

She’s a mad anti vax anti covid nutter. Not really sure why she was shared here. Check out some of her tweets if you fancy a laugh/ despairing.

I don’t care that Hancock cheated on his wife. That’s a private matter for him and Mrs Hancock to address and he shouldn’t lose his job over that.

I care that he cheated on his wife while acting like a sanctimonious, holier than thou prick at government meetings and actively lobbying for tighter social distancing rules while not following them himself. That’s why he needs to go.