When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

I used to go Silverstone every year.  Pretty much packed in like sardines on the Sunday 😄 

Pilot event. For them to not release the data.

Defected Drumsheds has had to move to September this morning because they ain't getting guidance 😂😂

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure I was trying to hide it 😀 I used to get weekend grandstand tickets and stay in Bath.  Used to cost over 1.5k for the trip 😀  I am dead posh I am lol 

It all fits now... bloody tory. 😄 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure I was trying to hide it 😀 I used to get weekend grandstand tickets and stay in Bath.  Used to cost over 1.5k for the trip 😀  I am dead posh I am lol 

Why did you stay in Bath?!

It's 2 hours away from the track 😂

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

So we need to wear masks on public transport to make people feel confident.  Dear lord.

If he is advising people to wear masks in pubs then it's going to be a bit shit show I imagine with some places still enforcing then I suppose?

If that's what's needed for the economy, right? I mean, that's the primary driver behind this reopening, it's certainly what you've been pushing for months - and rightly so. 

But in that case, even if masks had zero impact, and it was purely health theatre, if the stats show it'll get more people in to pubs than it will put off... we should do it. If we're going to accept a given number of excess deaths in exchange for getting the economy going again, then we should also accept minor inconveniences like wearing masks.

It's a weird one - obviously we disagree on if masks have any impact on transmission or not, but it sort of doesn't matter - if people believe they do, and they very much do, then that alone is the argument for them - albeit from your perspective that's then circular because it reinforces the idea that they do something when you think they don't etc...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, TGCarr said:

I know it’s a pilot event so will have testing and vaccination confirmations but this isn’t a great look when families can’t meet in full in some cases and other events like festivals can’t happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I know it’s a pilot event so will have testing and vaccination confirmations but this isn’t a great look when families can’t meet in full in some cases and other events like festivals can’t happen. 

100%

How do you explain to your child that you won't be there for school sports day as it's considered dangerous yet 100k people can squeeze in to Silverstone to watch F1?

The government risk losing any remaining goodwill from the public with illogical decisions like this.

20 hours ago, duke88 said:

This is never going to end is it? How on earth is every other country in Europe under a thousand cases a day and we're producing figures like that?! Plague island. Man that's depressed me.

I'm out in Portugal currently. Obviously being a hotter, more outdoors orientated country helps and Lisbon hasn't been great, but everyone here follows the rules. They wear masks walking down the street if they have to pass people closely. They do as they're told.... I guess because they trust their government. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

100%

How do you explain to your child that you won't be there for school sports day as it's considered dangerous yet 100k people can squeeze in to Silverstone to watch F1?

The government risk losing any remaining goodwill from the public with illogical decisions like this.

Good point with the sports day, I suppose they would argue that the F1 event has testing etc but it’s still not a good look.

I’ve been in favour of face masks for some kids but when you see something like this it makes it look unfair. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Good point with the sports day, I suppose they would argue that the F1 event has testing etc but it’s still not a good look.

I’ve been in favour of face masks for some kids but when you see something like this it makes it look unfair. 

I have just seen this, so perhaps the government has now realised how bonkers it was. Let's hope the music & festival industry get some good news soon!

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If that's what's needed for the economy, right? I mean, that's the primary driver behind this reopening, it's certainly what you've been pushing for months - and rightly so. 

But in that case, even if masks had zero impact, and it was purely health theatre, if the stats show it'll get more people in to pubs than it will put off... we should do it. If we're going to accept a given number of excess deaths in exchange for getting the economy going again, then we should also accept minor inconveniences like wearing masks.

It's a weird one - obviously we disagree on if masks have any impact on transmission or not, but it sort of doesn't matter - if people believe they do, and they very much do, then that alone is the argument for them - albeit from your perspective that's then circular because it reinforces the idea that they do something when you think they don't etc...

Have you read yesterday’s research from the live event trials?

They modelled events with high/medium/low interventions

High interventions mean covid certification, face coverings and a complete ban on food and drink. In this case it was projected that the events industry would be down 31% on 2019 levels.

Medium interventions still meant covid certification and masks, but food and soft drinks were allowed (still no alcohol). In this case the events industry would be 22% down on 2019 levels.

Low interventions means no covid certification and no restrictions on food and drink (alcohol is allowed) but masks are still work. In this case the events industry would be 18% down on 2019 levels. 

Most importantly though, they surveyed whether different Non-Pharmaceutical interventions would increase or decrease demand and what was found was that the thing that’s going to increase demand is covid testing, not masks and definitely not silly bans on food and drinks 

4E97D588-D414-4CE8-98B2-0DD79992332D.jpeg

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

High interventions mean covid certification, face coverings and a complete ban on food and drink. In this case it was projected that the events industry would be down 31% on 2019 levels.

Medium interventions still meant covid certification and masks, but food and soft drinks were allowed (still no alcohol). In this case the events industry would be 22% down on 2019 levels.

Low interventions means no covid certification and no restrictions on food and drink (alcohol is allowed) but masks are still work. In this case the events industry would be 18% down on 2019 levels. 

Most importantly though, they surveyed whether different Non-Pharmaceutical interventions would increase or decrease demand and what was found was that the thing that’s going to increase demand is covid testing, not masks and definitely not silly bans on food and drinks 

4E97D588-D414-4CE8-98B2-0DD79992332D.jpeg

Thats just some polling?

They are not releasing the results of the research yet until more pilots finished i.e. Download etc Thats what they said in parliament the other day anyway. 

44 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I did but I'm waiting for if they publish the actual data - because those 31/22/18 figures are comparative to 2019 levels - what wasn't there is, what's the figure for "no interventions"? Because even then we'd expect some drop off in demand. So while you're right there's definitely a trend, it's hard to see how significant it is right now. 

That's also specifically for events, rather than pubs etc - I can see why having to wear a mask while at a gig would be annoying (I probably wouldn't do it unless I really liked the band) but you don't have to wear a mask all the time you're at a pub - just when getting up and moving around. So it's a very different thing. That wouldn't bother me at all. Because for the fun bit of the pub (chatting to mates and drinking) there's no mask requirement. But at a gig it's wearing a mask while doing the fun bit, a very different prospect.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Angela Merkel’s demand to quarantine British tourists is 'unjustified', says Cabinet minister - Telegraph

Its almost like we don't have them on our amber list 😄 

Our little chancellor again going more on confrontation with Angela Merkel.

On Thursday before the EU summit in Brussels, Austrian Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz calls for holders of the European Covid certificate ("Green Passport") to remove quarantine completely in Europe. There should also be more uniform rules as to when someone is considered vaccinated, said Kurz. "It would be good if everyone were a little more generous," but he is not sure whether this will also succeed at the EU summit, reports the Austrian Press Agency. Kurz advocated "not to panic" in view of the delta variant, which is also spreading in Europe.