When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

That is positive - 90% is great, but the data is inconsistent. Public Health Scotland recently announced efficacy against Delta just two weeks after two doses of Pfizer fell from 92% to 72%, and for AstraZeneca a fall from 73% to 60%.

It’s “inconsistent” because you can’t tell the difference between effectiveness against infection and effectiveness against hospitalisation. 

3 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

It’s “inconsistent” because you can’t tell the difference between effectiveness against infection and effectiveness against hospitalisation. 

You're right, my bad. I was looking at the wrong figures.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Covid-19: Europe braces for surge in Delta variant https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57594954

"I consider it irresponsible for even vaccinated people to travel to London in this situation," he told Germany's RND news network.

Are they expecting elimination? Because its not going to happen. If they're worried about vaccinated people, this is going on for a lot longer than this summer 

Just now, efcfanwirral said:

"I consider it irresponsible for even vaccinated people to travel to London in this situation," he told Germany's RND news network.

Are they expecting elimination? Because its not going to happen. If they're worried about vaccinated people, this is going on for a lot longer than this summer 

Aren’t they trying to keep as much of the Delta variant out as possible whilst they get as many people fully vaccinated as they can?

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Aren’t they trying to keep as much of the Delta variant out as possible whilst they get as many people fully vaccinated as they can?

Must be. I feel its more likely they'll be reimposing restrictions than us lifting them to match to be honest...then we'll all be equal again 

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Some good may come out of it and exams lose importance compared to someones work throughout the year. An exam is often just a memory test and a bit pointless in this day and age of information at your fingertips. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Havors said:

Some good may come out of it and exams lose importance compared to someones work throughout the year. An exam is often just a memory test and a bit pointless in this day and age of information at your fingertips. 

I agree with that bit but calling things into question 12 months from now due to covid is interesting 

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm just guessing, but I would have thought they're worried about vaccinated people carrying the virus into a partially unvaccinated population.

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I agree with that bit but calling things into question 12 months from now due to covid is interesting 

Been burnt too many times before, its expected. I would only worry when they start ignoring the data. 

Exams have felt like an outdated way of gauging skills for a long time now, and many schools and staff completely buckle under the pressure to hit targets, so I hope the pandemic makes many institutions re-evaluate the importance of them and look at alternate ways forward.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Nah, I think they’d consider themselves marginal favourites if anything.

46 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

As virologist Mr. Drosten said best way to keep us out of this is will be to vaccinate even faster. Problem will be the younger population. There is a good chance that the wave won`t catch us that much but that has to been seen. I always thought that those travel restriction are a bit of a conundrum - everyone always claims to have those toughest restrictions in the world and the result - the virus came from china to us, and all variants - kent, brazil, south african and indian came here - so its certainly no chance to stop the mutant by strict border measures either. and germany are always very cautious, one of the most cautious in the world one might think - they now don`t even open up very much and have one of the lowest rates in whole Europe (Merkel even claimed the Euro with the attendance who make the picture that the situation is better than in reality it is).

Just now, thewayiam said:

I fancy Malta and Ibiza but my instant thought is they'll cut it like Portugal was.

I don't think it's safe this year for me.

It is gonna get pulled whilst we use cases as a metric ..,, and the govt can tell us they supported the industry 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It is gonna get pulled whilst we use cases as a metric ..,, and the govt can tell us they supported the industry 

Tbh with what the cases in general are atm, not just new covid cases but admissions, I'm surprised they've allowed it anyway. Only needs cases to jump from 16k to 20k and then hospital numbers past 250 and well you know the rest.

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The EU seems to be considering to restrict travels from the UK to the 27 member states in light of the delta variant (only with long term quarantine). They are searching for a common line towards the UK and more and more countries seem to be in agreement (even Portugal) now.

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Schmitt said:

The EU seems to be considering to restrict travels from the UK to the 27 member states in light of the delta variant (only with long term quarantine). They are searching for a common line towards the UK and more and more countries seem to be in agreement (even Portugal) now.

Yeah I’ve no plans to travel … uncertainty too much … just feel sorry for those that have stuff booked already … I dread to think what is going to be left in some of these holiday destinations 😞 I think the eu is probably too late with delta though … it seems like it has a foothold now 

Edited by crazyfool1