When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

There's probably been some talk about it already that I've missed but do we think there is the capacity to drop everyone's 2nd doses to an 8 week gap?

I think I saw something on Twitter yesterday where people had received a text saying their 2nd dose appointment had been cancelled and they found they could then book it for a date 8 weeks post 1st dose.

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

There's probably been some talk about it already that I've missed but do we think there is the capacity to drop everyone's 2nd doses to an 8 week gap?

I think I saw something on Twitter yesterday where people had received a text saying their 2nd dose appointment had been cancelled and they found they could then book it for a date 8 weeks post 1st dose.

This happened to me. I’m 40, had my first dose on 13 April and second booked for 23 June. Got a text from my GP telling me second appt had been cancelled and to click to rebook. Had my second jab yesterday 7.5 weeks after first.  Both at my nearest vax centre. 

12 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think a big concern is that the current ‘restrictions’ we have in place are going to do nothing/very little in stopping the spread of this (or any) variant. 

Yep. It’s a clear choice between continuing to let it spread and aim for a quicker herd immunity or we’ll need to look at reimposing restrictions to get the R back down. Thankfully I think full lockdown isn’t in play at this point but I could see a roll back towards step 2 measures being talked about. 

I’m praying they go the herd immunity route. 

15 minutes ago, st dan said:

I think a big concern is that the current ‘restrictions’ we have in place are going to do nothing/very little in stopping the spread of this (or any) variant. 

that would cause unrest if we went backwards. And people aren't going to suddenly stop seeing their friends and family, especially if they've had a jab. 

24 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I had my first on Wednesday and my second had already been booked for 8 weeks time

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

that would cause unrest if we went backwards. And people aren't going to suddenly stop seeing their friends and family, especially if they've had a jab. 

Yep.

Let's not forget that amongst the other things we've been sold during this pandemic (which turned to shit) the irreversible roadmap is the one we've all thrown full belief behind.

Standing still is just about palatable but going backwards will cause massive unrest.

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

I had my first on Wednesday and my second had already been booked for 8 weeks time

Interesting. What age are you if you don't mind me asking?

I wonder what would happen if I cancelled my 2nd dose which had a 12 week gap from the 1st. Do we think it would offer something sooner?

2 minutes ago, sisco said:

So what would a delay mean to outdoor gigs? Got 1 at Rochester Castle at the start on July.  Literally lost all sense on whether they’re currently allowed or not!

Right at this moment I wouldn't hold out much hope, unless its a socially distanced outdoor gig. 

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd be tossing a coin for outdoor gigs in July.  Indoor gigs - I'd make other plans.

I’d presumed as they were letting 45,000 into Wembley it’d be fine…. Maybe presuming too much 

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd be tossing a coin for outdoor gigs in July.  Indoor gigs - I'd make other plans.

I booked a ticket for Supergrass in the grounds of a big Manor House near Reading for end of July and they say they can have it socially distanced if needs be. Would that have a similar capacity cap to sports events etc at the moment?

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Interesting. What age are you if you don't mind me asking?

I wonder what would happen if I cancelled my 2nd dose which had a 12 week gap from the 1st. Do we think it would offer something sooner?

I'm 38. I was invited to get my first done on the 18th but i was unable to make it. if i had gone on the 18th my next jab would have been 10 weeks after the first.

Most people I speak to in the 'real world' have no idea that June 21st isn't a sure thing.

The latest 2 events I've just had cancelled are outdoor events in July and include  'Comedy in the Park'. Organisers have said they're cancelling due to lack of event insurance + uncertainty around roadmap. The responses to their post are from the sort of people who probably haven't had any other events booked in and so aren't used to the cancellations. It's just hundreds of people having a go at them for cancelling when "there are no restrictions from June 21st" or "even the Euros are allowed so all outdoor events are OK".

Of course, the gov can stop mass events and nightclubs from going ahead but I can't see many people sticking to social distancing/rule of 6 beyond 21st June. Any significant change to the roadmap is going to come as a huge shock to people who aren't following things as closely as we are in this thread.

2 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Most people I speak to in the 'real world' have no idea that June 21st isn't a sure thing.

The latest 2 events I've just had cancelled are outdoor events in July and include  'Comedy in the Park'. Organisers have said they're cancelling due to lack of event insurance + uncertainty around roadmap. The responses to their post are from the sort of people who probably haven't had any other events booked in and so aren't used to the cancellations. It's just hundreds of people having a go at them for cancelling when "there are no restrictions from June 21st" or "even the Euros are allowed so all outdoor events are OK".

Of course, the gov can stop mass events and nightclubs from going ahead but I can't see many people sticking to social distancing/rule of 6 beyond 21st June. Any significant change to the roadmap is going to come as a huge shock to people who aren't following things as closely as we are in this thread.

Yup. I think the nerds are in for a shock if they think people are going to go meekly into restrictions now

1 minute ago, FakeEmpire said:

Yeah I think we are past the point of no return now. The government should be doing what they did at the start of the year and go even harder on the vaccinations. i.e contact people who have ages to wait for the 2nd jab and get it moved up.

Some of the latest data is saying the 2nd jab is too far apart from the 1st to fight the indian variant. 

We should all have our fingers crossed that the cases level out in the places most effected like Bolton... that would indicate there has been some overreaction .

1 minute ago, Havors said:

Yeah I think we are past the point of no return now. The government should be doing what they did at the start of the year and go even harder on the vaccinations. i.e contact people who have ages to wait for the 2nd jab and get it moved up.

Some of the latest data is saying the 2nd jab is too far apart from the 1st to fight the indian variant. 

We should all have our fingers crossed that the cases level out in the places most effected like Bolton... that would indicate there has been some overreaction .

Yeah I don't think there is any need to wait so long. If you want it and you've had the first a long enough time then why not crack on to the 2nd asap.

29 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Yes, there is. In very approximate terms, we're averaging over half a million doses a day, and have 11.25m first doses and 24.5m second doses left to deliver (assuming 100% takeup) - so for the sake of rounding, call it 35m total ie 70 days worth if remaining doses are delivered efficiently and capacity is maintained.

On the originally scheduled 11 week day, the amount of second doses coming due starts to slow down dramatically towards the end of next week, and so at that point assuming the rate isn't slowed down there's a choice - bring second doses forward, or increase the number of first doses. Even on the current 8 week delay we'll have capacity to do a bit of both after a couple weeks of catching up.

I think it's likely that soon the second dose drops to a standard 4 week gap for Pfizer and Moderna as in the rest of the world. Given that takeup won't be 100%, it's not unrealistic that everyone is offered the chance of a first dose before the end of June and a second dose before mid August.

38 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

NHS site 'down for maintenance' when trying to book a covid vaccine. Potentially opening it up to 28/29 year olds?

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Fingers crossed! Selfishly (as a 28 bordering on 29) kinda hope they don’t just open it up fully to >18s and create a ticket day F5 bun right!