When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

57 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I can't argue with this as I'm being getting everyone vaccined. Look on the plus side of what they have been able to do way before we have. I have friends in Queensland, NSW and Victoria who still need a masks where possible but as for getting out and about they are free. They have always been two countries very strict. They have also said there is no rush to open borders and Jacinda Arden made it clear that other countries would need to be fully vaccinated and like whatever happens with the passports before entry.

They lockdown NZ down on 150 cases.

By their logic they will be locking down forever. There will always be cases... forever. 

10 hours ago, ShakeyCrash said:

Or following the data not dates which works both ways... Drakeford has pretty much been down the line but why give him any credit. Far easier to just throw those stones right?

Got nothing against the guy, just think it is naive to think the upcoming election wasn't in his thinking at all when he announced that.

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Have had some fun winding up my Sister (lives in Perth) about this already this morning:

Locked down on a bank hol weekend is a bit brutal for 2 cases.

I really don't see how OZ and NZ get out of this pattern?

I assume the only way in reality is to keep borders closed until everyone who can be is vaccinated?

In my sisters wods the vaccination programme is very slow and has no sense of urgency.

Think it's going to be a long old time until they open up their borders fully unfortunately.

That's the problem isn't it, they can't cut themselves off from the world forever, and if they opt to shut down for 2 cases then this will be interesting as to how they get out of it:

1. Keep borders virtually closed for years until the pandemic dies away (3 years? Could easily be).

2. Open borders, inevitably introduce more virus, and have to shut down regularly

3. Vaccinate the whole country, which they are far from doing, then open. Even then, there is likely to be some outbreaks so further lockdowns.

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

By their logic they will be locking down forever. There will always be cases... forever. 

After they've done everything they can vaccine wise etc though they know there is nothing they can do. But until then, a country like Australia and New Zealand will always take a strong stance.

10 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Oxford have a Lassa vaccine based on the same technology that looks good in pre-clinical testing, Moderna have a flu and a HIV version of theirs heading into phase 1 trials and there are a bunch of other infectious disease vaccines under development using the same approach (RSV, Zika, EBV among many others). BioNTech have always been focussed on cancer and have a selection of cancer vaccine approaches that just got a whole lot closer to trials (CureVac were the original mRNA vaccine company and they too have new ones coming for SARS-CoV2 and a few others and GSK have a rabies one they are testing)...so lots coming down the line. Basically we’ve fast forwarded 5-10 years in genetic vaccine development. Once we know the genetic sequence of any infectious agent, these approaches can be used to rapidly make a vaccine against it.

is there a vaccine that will stop me growing old?

14 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

That's the problem isn't it, they can't cut themselves off from the world forever, and if they opt to shut down for 2 cases then this will be interesting as to how they get out of it:

1. Keep borders virtually closed for years until the pandemic dies away (3 years? Could easily be).

2. Open borders, inevitably introduce more virus, and have to shut down regularly

3. Vaccinate the whole country, which they are far from doing, then open. Even then, there is likely to be some outbreaks so further lockdowns.

It will be no.3 I guess. Roll out vaccines and in meantime restrictions at borders and have test and trace for any new cases. I expect it's fairly popular when they see what's happening elsewhere, but people might get frustrated with the border thing after a while.

If India's health system is collapsing now imagine what it's going to be like in a months time when the steep rise in cases now is shown in severe illness and death? It's just going to get worse and worse. Surely there is something that other countries can do to help? They need more hospitals, oxygen, ventilators, health care workers etc etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-56858403

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If India's health system is collapsing now imagine what it's going to be like in a months time when the steep rise in cases now is shown in severe illness and death? It's just going to get worse and worse. Surely there is something that other countries can do to help? They need more hospitals, oxygen, ventilators, health care workers etc etc.

Hopefully they will, but India is such a populous country, it may be very difficult to do much to help.  We could donate every ventilator in the UK and it would barely move the needle.

55 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hopefully they will, but India is such a populous country, it may be very difficult to do much to help.  We could donate every ventilator in the UK and it would barely move the needle.

It's got to be vaccines - surely we can help to an extent there. I still don't feel morally right about doing the under 40/35s here when other places are in such a state 

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

Slightly baffling response from my mate at football when I told our team's whatsapp group vaccines are available:

"Doesn’t stop you getting covid, doesn’t stop you spreading it!
Why would you have it? 😂"

But it does stopping you from spreading it or stops a strong viral load from being spread, doesn’t it?

Just now, Ozanne said:

But it does stopping you from spreading it or stops a strong viral load from being spread, doesn’t it?

Plus they also mean that if you do get it, you only get a mild case.

He's a nice bloke - but he doesn't seem too strong on facts sadly.

Just spoke to next door neighbours, both 40 just back from getting their first dose of AZ organised by local GP hub. Stated there is a site run by the GP hub you can go on that you put your name and details down for any unused overcapacity at any given Practice hub. They were contacted and told to attend at short notice. No underlying conditions or exceptional circumstances.

4 minutes ago, Copperface said:

Just spoke to next door neighbours, both 40 just back from getting their first dose of AZ organised by local GP hub. Stated there is a site run by the GP hub you can go on that you put your name and details down for any unused overcapacity at any given Practice hub. They were contacted and told to attend at short notice. No underlying conditions or exceptional circumstances.

Is that a website or in person?

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

If anyone has a couple of quid spare I'm sure one or more of these organisations could really do with it right now.  If anyone knows of any other ways to help please post in this thread.  Cheers.

https://www.actionaid.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/india

https://donate.redcross.org.uk/appeal/global-coronavirus-appeal?c_code=175151&c_source=google&c_name=Global Coronavirus Appeal&adg=fight covid-19 india&c_creative=globalgeneric&c_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4ImEBhDFARIsAGOTMj_tmIJmeb0pUEPVVyHJhvFfcDYx-zOaww67dynbZEPF9JxtyF9Pk6EaAvViEALw_wcB

https://fundraisers.giveindia.org/fundraisers/khaanachahiye-mumbai-is-battling-hunger-along-with-covid-19-again

https://aidindia.org/responding-to-coronavirus/

30 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It's got to be vaccines - surely we can help to an extent there. I still don't feel morally right about doing the under 40/35s here when other places are in such a state 

Maybe, but the biggest producer of vaccines in the world is... India.  That has to be their way out though.

I'll tell you what, I'm not virtue signalling when I say that I'm really not concerned that the Serum Institute stopped sending us extra AZ to top us up.  They really do need it more than us, it's not an abstract concept now when you look at the graphs.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe, but the biggest producer of vaccines in the world is... India.  That has to be their way out though.

I'll tell you what, I'm not virtue signalling when I say that I'm really not concerned that the Serum Institute stopped sending us extra AZ to top us up.  They really do need it more than us, it's not an abstract concept now when you look at the graphs.

This is it- if we do our under 40s now or in August it doesn't really make a difference based on what we saw last summer with no vaccines and the measures we know will come in (testing and vaccine passports mix), so I agree completely. Leave those vaccines there