When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

one for toilet duck: boris mentioned the rapid test wouldn't say if you had Covid-19 but if you were infectious. Do you know which rapid test this would be?

So, I'm guessing that the rapid test that will be available in Europe first is the Roche one (https://www.roche.com/media/releases/med-cor-2020-09-01b.htm) which is shipping on the 14th as far as I know to anywhere that accepts the CE mark (which is all of Europe and beyond). The Abbott one (and a few others) have FDA approval, but most of them have already been bought up in the US, so won't make it over here for a bit. There's a ton of them in the approval pipeline though, and the saliva tests haven't even started yet (nice piece in the NEJM today on the accuracy of saliva versus NP swab for testing...saliva actually less variable). The assumption with the antigen tests is that if you are detecting viral protein, then there is intact virus there, so could be infectious, whereas with the PCR test, you are detecting the viral genome, but because it is so sensitive you don't really know if there is infectious virus there or if it's just bits of the viral RNA left over from a prior infection that has been cleared by your immune system. The suggestion was to use CT values from the PCR test to estimate viral load, but that's problematic the way the test is set up (basically for a qualitative yes/no)...There's no firm evidence that a positive on the antigen test means you are infectious, but it's more likely. 

49 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, I'm guessing that the rapid test that will be available in Europe first is the Roche one (https://www.roche.com/media/releases/med-cor-2020-09-01b.htm) which is shipping on the 14th as far as I know to anywhere that accepts the CE mark (which is all of Europe and beyond). The Abbott one (and a few others) have FDA approval, but most of them have already been bought up in the US, so won't make it over here for a bit. There's a ton of them in the approval pipeline though, and the saliva tests haven't even started yet (nice piece in the NEJM today on the accuracy of saliva versus NP swab for testing...saliva actually less variable). The assumption with the antigen tests is that if you are detecting viral protein, then there is intact virus there, so could be infectious, whereas with the PCR test, you are detecting the viral genome, but because it is so sensitive you don't really know if there is infectious virus there or if it's just bits of the viral RNA left over from a prior infection that has been cleared by your immune system. The suggestion was to use CT values from the PCR test to estimate viral load, but that's problematic the way the test is set up (basically for a qualitative yes/no)...There's no firm evidence that a positive on the antigen test means you are infectious, but it's more likely. 

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Hands, face, space has been done before, but now don't get a test?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/hands-face-space-boris-johnsons-22449894

I’m never gonna forget how shit that slogan was first time around .... it would work well with some photoshopping of Boris handshaking covid patients ... 

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve noticed that I tend to see political news here before anywhere else. There’s definitely a lot of us with our ears to the ground. 

It’s nice to have a single place to check what’s going on with the latest government fuck ups. 

You’re welcome friend 😉

16 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve noticed that I tend to see political news here before anywhere else. There’s definitely a lot of us with our ears to the ground. 

It’s nice to have a single place to check what’s going on with the latest government fuck ups. 

I think everyone on here makes far more sense than the government!! Also some people are incredibly clever at explaining things! 
I don’t really bother with the news I look on here! 👍🏻

Surely this will only help a tiny amount, as the percentage of new cases caused by illegal raves/ gatherings is probably much less than is caused by the hospitality sector  and daytime meetings as we have seen in manchester.

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It wouldn't affect me though as i have normally no reason to be out at night atm, but would always like the option of a night walk or w/e nationwide curfew seems more extreme than this government will ever go - plus 

30 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I can't believe he lied!🤯

The sad thing is he'll just cover it up with another lie and his supporters will be fine with it- they've already demonstrated they don't give a monkeys about his BS and can quite happily convince themselves that he's either telling the truth or that it doesn't matter. Same with the Boris Johnson supporters over here.

They could both spend the rest of the covid-19 situation, literally lighting their own farts to some music, while pausing only to stoke racism and xenophobia, and people would still vote for them

Edited by Mr.Tease