When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Were going to be moving in and out of various forms of lockdown for the next few months I would imagine. The plan in Ireland (and in the UK and most other places) is to allow this to spread through the country at a controlled rate that the health system can handle. Controlling the rate of spread will be done by loosening and tightening the lockdown. Then once we reach about 60 or 70% infected the virus will slow down on its own as there just isn't enough suitable hosts anymore. This is our govs plan anyway. The've outlined 5 stages of easing the restrictions while making it very clear that we may move backwards as well as forwards to keep the case numbers at a level the hospitals can handle. The only thing I can see changing this in the near future is if we get some effective drugs.

It really isn't the plan at all. I can say that from personal discussion with members of the advisory team and those rolling out the testing in Ireland. Yes, there are phases to reopening and progression through them relies on where we are in terms of infections after each phase, things can be rolled back or accelerated and ICU/hospital admissions are the principal triggers, but aiming for 70% herd immunity is nowhere on the agenda. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

We need to suppress the virus to a point where testing and tracing is possible

This is the plan.  (at least in Ireland).

Edit: I should clarify that it looks like this virus will become endemic, so herd immunity is where we will end up, but it's not the "plan". The plan is to achieve that through vaccination. 

Edited by Toilet Duck

19 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

This is the plan.  (at least in Ireland).

Edit: I should clarify that it looks like this virus will become endemic, so herd immunity is where we will end up, but it's not the "plan". The plan is to achieve that through vaccination. 

Jealous of people who live in Ireland. The government there seems to be looking after its citizens. 

Same could be said of most countries to be fair...

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Jealous of people who live in Ireland. The government there seems to be looking after its citizens. 

Same could be said of most countries to be fair...

They've done some things well. Dropped the ball on care homes and now meat processing plants, but other things have been handled well and communicated clearly. Room for improvement,  but not as bad as some other places! 

Edit: I should clarify that private companies have a responsibility to ensure the safety of their workers, it's not entirely down to the government, but unless they enforce their recommendations, then unscrupulous employers will exploit their workforce (meat processing), or unprepared employers simply don't have the expertise and need help from department of health (care homes). 

Edited by Toilet Duck

7 hours ago, Dave85radiohead said:

But you talked about the higher tax been at 80k before . At 60 at 40 per cent current you bring home just over 3600.

To answer your earlier question these people are are dentists,doctors,senior engineers, vets, Pilots , top scientists. 

A lot of our favourite musicians we talk about on here earn far far more money but you can bet they have a whole team of people making sure they pay as little tax as possible.

I just don’t understand why you would prefer to hike tax on people working their backsides off on PAYE rather than go after millionaires’ tax havens , corporations who aren’t paying anything like a fair level of tax and dividend payments not to mention a proper review of MP expenses. It’s just the easy and lazy option.

When tax havens are banned, big companies pay their way and dividends are charged the same as income then yes raise tax but not before.

You can do all them things

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can!

EYCsZ6XWAAETd4Z?format=jpg&name=large

As a 36 year old millennial, I'm confused that this article talks about "metropolitan millennials" this year not "scurrying to Heathrow the second their uni exams are over".

Then I realised it's the s*n and therefore not even worthy of wiping my arse with.

42 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Update on oxford vaccine 

(Be interested in toilet ducks thoughts on it)

It's not really an update I'm afraid, they had already reported this before they went into the human trials, this is just the paper turning up on a pre-print server. Still to be peer reviewed, but they had already reported these promising results from their pre-clinical animal study (they also had a variant of this vaccine in humans last year and as yet have not observed any adverse effects). 

6 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Were going to be moving in and out of various forms of lockdown for the next few months I would imagine. The plan in Ireland (and in the UK and most other places) is to allow this to spread through the country at a controlled rate that the health system can handle. Controlling the rate of spread will be done by loosening and tightening the lockdown. Then once we reach about 60 or 70% infected the virus will slow down on its own as there just isn't enough suitable hosts anymore. This is our govs plan anyway. The've outlined 5 stages of easing the restrictions while making it very clear that we may move backwards as well as forwards to keep the case numbers at a level the hospitals can handle. The only thing I can see changing this in the near future is if we get some effective drugs.

This isn't correct.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Our R rate appears to be creeping back up

wonder if its just a daily blip as has happened in other countries .... just looked at the south west and its one of the higher r s .... but was lower on the cases ....

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Sky have said the R rate is on a 2-3 week lag?

Surely that’s inevitable since it can take that long to show symptoms and we’re not all being tested regularly?

23 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Suggestions it's being driven mainly by infections still on the rise in care homes though 😟

Yeah I saw that too.

Now apparently after weeks of talking about the R rate, it’s not the most important aspect on the day it’s estimated to rise.