When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Wife just reported back from central London. She caught a quick train to Brixton then had to get a bus as no bikes available. Train and bus empty. London quiet but there are tourists. Borough Market is open. "

"It's [London in general] like the Monday morning at Glastonbury, where everyone has gone home and you're walking around looking for food."

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

hows todays visitor influx ? 

Not been out, but the road has seemed a bit busier, but nothing major. But then it's been cloudy and a bit chilly. Seems to be more people out on the lake the last couple of days, but again still not that many

Sounds like the Peak District has had it worse, but then it's easier to get too 

1 minute ago, philipsteak said:

Not been out, but the road has seemed a bit busier, but nothing major. But then it's been cloudy and a bit chilly. Seems to be more people out on the lake the last couple of days, but again still not that many

Sounds like the Peak District has had it worse, but then it's easier to get too 

That’s good news hopefully that common sense and being alert is prevailing :) 

Hope you are enjoying all the lovely weather and slight relaxation of restrictions down south including being able to drive more than a few miles! Looks really nice as long as tourist hotspots don’t get overwhelmed and folk use common sense

Meanwhile up here the Scottish government has commissioned Frankie Boyle to design the new signage at the border.

E11AC564-BCF0-40E0-B0BD-54ABE3E3AB28.thumb.jpeg.aa7afdf5e64bc937c4a6c1b5213a5043.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Homer said:

From the article,

"Another added: “Peter Ebdon is an outstanding snooker player (although perhaps not always the most gripping to watch).

“His *opinions* knocking the credibility of a scientific, peer-reviewed approach to giving credible advice – and the empirical evidence on which it’s based – are laughable!”

The modelling from Neil Ferguson, the single most important scientific input the government used to determine the current lockdown strategy was NOT peer reviewed and the paper was not even published. It's very easy to label anyone who disagrees with the scientific status quo as a "conspiracy theorist" as if that in itself makes any point they make invalid, but blindly accepting everything the government say is dangerous, we need to scrutinise the government's actions and if a few people get carried away with wild theories then so be it. If you want to ridicule people who have an alternative view to the mainstream you will all have an opportunity at the next festival, there are whole fields devoted to alternative therapies and beliefs, i'm sure not all of them are scientifically proven, maybe you could spend an afternoon walking around and berating them for their crazy remedies and spreading false information.

(not having a go at you specifically Homer, it's just irritating how some are closing their minds to ANY alternative to the official narrative).

18 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

From the article,

"Another added: “Peter Ebdon is an outstanding snooker player (although perhaps not always the most gripping to watch).

“His *opinions* knocking the credibility of a scientific, peer-reviewed approach to giving credible advice – and the empirical evidence on which it’s based – are laughable!”

The modelling from Neil Ferguson, the single most important scientific input the government used to determine the current lockdown strategy was NOT peer reviewed and the paper was not even published. It's very easy to label anyone who disagrees with the scientific status quo as a "conspiracy theorist" as if that in itself makes any point they make invalid, but blindly accepting everything the government say is dangerous, we need to scrutinise the government's actions and if a few people get carried away with wild theories then so be it. If you want to ridicule people who have an alternative view to the mainstream you will all have an opportunity at the next festival, there are whole fields devoted to alternative therapies and beliefs, i'm sure not all of them are scientifically proven, maybe you could spend an afternoon walking around and berating them for their crazy remedies and spreading false information.

(not having a go at you specifically Homer, it's just irritating how some are closing their minds to ANY alternative to the official narrative).

Do you mean anti lockdown narrative? 

3 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Do you mean anti lockdown narrative? 

I was talking in general, but there is serious doubt by some scientists regarding the lockdown, when Ebdon mentioned his mates website he actually led me to this video, it's an interview with a irish professor who has a totally different view to the lockdown, is she a conspiracy theorist? she certainly seems to be qualified to discuss this, it would be interesting to see what Toilet Duck thinks of this since he's from her neck of the woods. Here's her bio,

https://selectbiosciences.com/conferences/biographies.aspx?conf=admept2013&speaker=313126

Just now, Andy0808 v5 said:

Seen a video of police arresting one of these morons in Hyde Park today, followed by police being surrounded whilst ‘We want our freedom’ is continuously chanted.

The word ‘C**t’ isn’t appropriate for these people.

I find “stupid c**t” works better.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

The, and I quote, "dowser, a purveyor of flower remedies & prof who says wireless networks will make us all sterile".

Ah got ya. For a terrifying second I thought you were pleased that they were stopping 5g! I see you're taking the micky. I mean I'm not a massive fan of 5g but that's more based on more cell towers, more flogging us stuff and more use of resources.

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I know three people who have lost loved ones to it.

I know it’s fucking real. People like Ebdon can fuck right off.

Agreed. I too know it's real. 

16 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I was talking in general, but there is serious doubt by some scientists regarding the lockdown, when Ebdon mentioned his mates website he actually led me to this video, it's an interview with a irish professor who has a totally different view to the lockdown, is she a conspiracy theorist? she certainly seems to be qualified to discuss this, it would be interesting to see what Toilet Duck thinks of this since he's from her neck of the woods. Here's her bio,

https://selectbiosciences.com/conferences/biographies.aspx?conf=admept2013&speaker=313126

Surely logic shows that no lockdown = more deaths? How can our excess death numbers be argued against? 

Carrying on surely wasnt an option if people don't see old people as expendable right?

I'm sure I'm just brainwashed by the capitalist system to accept by own subjugation though....

That said I'd give anything to live in somewhere like Vietnam right now...

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Ah got ya. For a terrifying second I thought you were pleased that they were stopping 5g! I see you're taking the micky. I mean I'm not a massive fan of 5g but that's more based on more cell towers, more flogging us stuff and more use of resources.

Sterile?!? I’ve had two kids since we put wireless  in...

16 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Ugh! This guy is the worst.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely logic shows that no lockdown = more deaths? How can our excess death numbers be argued against? 

Carrying on surely wasnt an option if people don't see old people as expendable right?

I'm sure I'm just brainwashed by the capitalist system to accept by own subjugation though....

That said I'd give anything to live in somewhere like Vietnam right now...

She says no lockdown IF you take other actions, she makes a case for boosting peoples immunity and treatment with hydroxychloroquine, is she right? I'm not a microbiologist but she is and she seems to know her stuff. Having said that she wants Ireland to exit the EU so that probably makes any scientific qualification meaningless to many on here!

11 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

She says no lockdown IF you take other actions, she makes a case for boosting peoples immunity and treatment with hydroxychloroquine, is she right? I'm not a microbiologist but she is and she seems to know her stuff. Having said that she wants Ireland to exit the EU so that probably makes any scientific qualification meaningless to many on here!

Couple of points-

if she is the owner of a biotech company then that will be the reason that she wants to leave the EU as she doesn’t want to be regulated. 

Hydroxychloroquine has been widely denounced by nearly all of the scientific community and has caused quite a few deaths. Any program to boost immunity would have to be done before restrictions were lifted

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, tarw said:

Couple of points-

if she is the owner of a biotech company then that will be the reason that she wants to leave the EU as she doesn’t want to be regulated. 

Hydroxychloroquine has been widely denounced by nearly all of the scientific community and has caused quite a few deaths. Any program to boost immunity would have to be done before restrictions were lifted

The biotech company rely in part on EU funding so she may well be shooting herself in the foot there! Hydroxychloroquine has been used for decades and is effective on coronaviruses as this lancet paper from 2003 suggests, makes you wonder how hard they tried with it when it has been discounted after a few weeks. Maybe there isn't enough money in it? (yes that's a bit of my conspiracy theory).

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(03)00806-5/fulltext

As she says in the interview this is becoming more about politics than medicine and it is so hard for the average person to make any sense of this. The UK media have been woeful in their questioning of politicians and the advisors, the same old questions day in day out with very few truly pertinent ones. She seems pretty mainstream and connected and is putting her neck on the block with this so it will be interesting to see how her career goes now.

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

I know the guy whose channel that is. He's one of those annoying "fans" that likes to do videos that just slag shows like Doctor Who off for being too woke. He's a complete c**t and makes a living from being a contrary knobhead. I won't be watching any interviews by him, especially one that has "must watch" in the title.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I know the guy whose channel that is. He's one of those annoying "fans" that likes to do videos that just slag shows like Doctor Who off for being too woke. He's a complete c**t and makes a living from being a contrary knobhead. I won't be watching any interviews by him, especially one that has "must watch" in the title.

He's certainly irritating and not a great interviewer but I was more interested in what she had to say than listen to him, the question is why is she only appearing on obscure youtube interviews? Is no one in the main media interested in talking to her? If what she says is rubbish it should  be easy to get another scientist to contradict her, if they don't want to have a debate you have to ask why. If she has the experience and the qualifications shouldn't her arguments be listened to?  She might be wrong but science doesn't progress by silencing people who have a different view from you.