Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

What's your best guess?   

1,011 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

13 minutes ago, Havors said:

Are the flights cancelled though? I am meant to go to Turkey end of April and the only thing stopping me is if bloody easyjet cancel the flights! I figure im a little safer round a pool in 80-90 degree heat than here in the cold and wet :D

Nope and cant see it being cancelled, hotel is non refundable. I'd rather get away!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Imagine if corona takes michael eavis!! 😱

I don’t know who you are, but as a villager myself I am happy chat in the village face to face with you should you wish to identify yourself.   the fence does NOT start to go up until May. I run

27 BC

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

We booked our honeymoon to Mexico about a week or 2 before this all started and said we’d book the flights separately  “when they get cheaper”. Now left in a situation where I’m scared to book them incase they get cancelled and scared not to book them incase the flight sells out and we can’t get there.

It’ll be gone by September right? RIGHT?!

Airlines pretty desperate right now so should be able to get excellent cancellation/rebooking terms regardless. Read the small print but I’d go for it if you can find something at the right price. 

I've been told from someone who works in the home office that they are working on a shit down to start between 20th/23rd march, to end on the Easter weekend. Could be full of shit but just in case...

Just now, yehbutnobut said:

Really is not looking good is it 😥

My initial reaction is negative, although it's a month earlier than glasto so hopefully we end up just on the right side of cancellations, also as it's in Dundee I guess they're following the more extreme measures in place up there? 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

why? The chances of having stood close to that person is tiny, and the chance of infection from them even less - and there'd be similar (often more) risk anywhere else too.

As things stand I'd personally be happy to attend Glastonbury even if each day ten* people at the fest were getting ill. 
(* I can't be sure I'd feel the same if it was 100 a day).

I think perhaps @Brave Sir Robinwas referring to the fact that nearly everyone gets a cough and a a bit sweaty on any normal Glastonbury weekend 🤔

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

Nope and cant see it being cancelled, hotel is non refundable. I'd rather get away!

I would say definitely go then!! 

Just now, whitehorses said:

Fucking hell people are really going for it 

4BF183F2-412D-49B6-9047-7C62B9A780F3.jpeg

Good time to be Vegan.... nobody want to stockpile their shit.... :D:D 

Just now, zahidf said:

I've been told from someone who works in the home office that they are working on a shit down to start between 20th/23rd march, to end on the Easter weekend. Could be full of shit but just in case...

Is that why all the bog roll has been bought up?

The Times says peak expected in june. Question is if they cancel it which I think they will - will they honour those that got tickets for it this year

1 minute ago, Aragorn said:

The Times says peak expected in june. Question is if they cancel it which I think they will - will they honour those that got tickets for it this year

That sounds like some massive assumptions.... considering we have no social distancing in place yet (mass gatherings) the peak is likely to be way before June! 

29 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

My local Morrisons was doing better than most up until a few  days ago but now no pasta, soap, part-bake baguettes and almost out of toilet paper. 

3B10247F-79E6-4F43-8C0A-6A688F64EB7A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I’ve just heard the same off a friend, again it’s not verifiable at all and could be complete nonsense but thought I’d post it as it’s similar

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

If that's correct, and if I had any say in it, I'd extend any travel restrictions until after the Easter break to mimimse the traditional 'get-away' and mass migration from the South East...especially towards the South West.  My 82 year old mother who lives in Devon is already planning to barricade the A38 south of Exeter. 

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

I’ve just heard the same off a friend, again it’s not verifiable at all and could be complete nonsense but thought I’d post it as it’s similar

Makes sense... falls in line with the rumours the schools using 2 week easter holidays + and extra 2 weeks shut down to slow the spread...

All good things as far as the festival goes I think as shut downs are not sustainable for a prolonged period of time... would mean things potentially going back to "normal" in May.... just my thoughts at least. 

4 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

I think peak in June is a good thing in terms of government not stepping in and forcing cancellation. Point of these measures is to deliberately move the peak to June. Hence the measures will have been put in place before June in order for the peak to be there.

I guess the other issues are the level of illness affecting the logistical running of the festival (would part of Glastonbury's contingency planning is to have extra staff ready to step in), and overseas acts having to cancel. The latter could be an issue given the States' healthcare system

Saw this post on the topic on another forum I frequent (a Watford FC one of all places...). Thought it outlined a few things quite well, and is similar to how I view the situation:

First, we’re a different country to Ireland. You’re more spread out and have a much, much smaller population. People seem to be falling into a trap of comparing apples with oranges a lot recently.

If you listen to everything the medical advisors to the UK government are saying, it’s clear we’ve taken (or tried to take, as it appears the effect of public hysteria was underestimated) a slightly different approach. There’s a recognition the vast majority of people will get this virus in the coming months but it won’t do them much harm. There’s no avoiding it, with a vaccine miles away from mass availability and the nature of the virus itself. And we need that herd immunity to protect our vulnerable citizens going forward, as Covid-19 will ripple around the world seasonally for a few more years yet. Stopping the spread almost completely may not actually be desirable in the medium term.

The government reckons imposing draconian controls now means they will have to be maintained for 12-16 weeks, which simply isn’t realistic. Everyone will get restless, the weather will improve, people will think it’s a fuss over nothing because numbers of infected and deaths are still low (ie. a phoney war) and then it’ll hit like a hurricane as people go back to normal. We don’t have the police or army to enforce more than very geographically limited areas of quarantine or isolation.

I actually think it’s possible to equally argue every country shutting things down recently is wilfully misleading its citizens by saying it’s just until the start of April. They’re buying time and compliance by selling a pup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A friend in the know says the Euros are off 

I think they have postponed for 12 months, but not 100 percent sure.

I'd just like to know for definite on the festival .  TBH a postponement until September must be easier to implement now rather than waiting and having to cancel completely

Record Store Day postponed to 20th June.

Let's hope they're randomly the most itk and safely assume it'll all be fine by then 😉

Have a few friends who are pilots and unsurprisingly the airlines are in a bad way. Easy Jet look particularly bad and are currently in crisis meetings. Things are so bad my friend has had to cancel buying his first house as he doesn't even know if we will have a job next month