Will Coronavirus lead to the cancellation of Glastonbury?

stuartbert two hats

What's your best guess?   

1,012 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be cancelled?

• I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will be cancelled
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably be cancelled
    • It could go either way, I've no idea
    • I'm not sure, but I think it will probably go ahead
    • I'm pretty confident/100% sure it will go ahead

1 minute ago, Aragorn said:

The Times says peak expected in june. Question is if they cancel it which I think they will - will they honour those that got tickets for it this year

That sounds like some massive assumptions.... considering we have no social distancing in place yet (mass gatherings) the peak is likely to be way before June! 

29 minutes ago, NerdsNatterings said:

My local Morrisons was doing better than most up until a few  days ago but now no pasta, soap, part-bake baguettes and almost out of toilet paper. 

3B10247F-79E6-4F43-8C0A-6A688F64EB7A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I've been told from someone who works in the home office that they are working on a shit down to start between 20th/23rd march, to end on the Easter weekend. Could be full of shit but just in case...

I’ve just heard the same off a friend, again it’s not verifiable at all and could be complete nonsense but thought I’d post it as it’s similar

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I've been told from someone who works in the home office that they are working on a shit down to start between 20th/23rd march, to end on the Easter weekend. Could be full of shit but just in case...

If that's correct, and if I had any say in it, I'd extend any travel restrictions until after the Easter break to mimimse the traditional 'get-away' and mass migration from the South East...especially towards the South West.  My 82 year old mother who lives in Devon is already planning to barricade the A38 south of Exeter. 

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

I’ve just heard the same off a friend, again it’s not verifiable at all and could be complete nonsense but thought I’d post it as it’s similar

Makes sense... falls in line with the rumours the schools using 2 week easter holidays + and extra 2 weeks shut down to slow the spread...

All good things as far as the festival goes I think as shut downs are not sustainable for a prolonged period of time... would mean things potentially going back to "normal" in May.... just my thoughts at least. 

4 minutes ago, Aragorn said:

The Times says peak expected in june. Question is if they cancel it which I think they will - will they honour those that got tickets for it this year

I think peak in June is a good thing in terms of government not stepping in and forcing cancellation. Point of these measures is to deliberately move the peak to June. Hence the measures will have been put in place before June in order for the peak to be there.

I guess the other issues are the level of illness affecting the logistical running of the festival (would part of Glastonbury's contingency planning is to have extra staff ready to step in), and overseas acts having to cancel. The latter could be an issue given the States' healthcare system

Saw this post on the topic on another forum I frequent (a Watford FC one of all places...). Thought it outlined a few things quite well, and is similar to how I view the situation:

First, we’re a different country to Ireland. You’re more spread out and have a much, much smaller population. People seem to be falling into a trap of comparing apples with oranges a lot recently.

If you listen to everything the medical advisors to the UK government are saying, it’s clear we’ve taken (or tried to take, as it appears the effect of public hysteria was underestimated) a slightly different approach. There’s a recognition the vast majority of people will get this virus in the coming months but it won’t do them much harm. There’s no avoiding it, with a vaccine miles away from mass availability and the nature of the virus itself. And we need that herd immunity to protect our vulnerable citizens going forward, as Covid-19 will ripple around the world seasonally for a few more years yet. Stopping the spread almost completely may not actually be desirable in the medium term.

The government reckons imposing draconian controls now means they will have to be maintained for 12-16 weeks, which simply isn’t realistic. Everyone will get restless, the weather will improve, people will think it’s a fuss over nothing because numbers of infected and deaths are still low (ie. a phoney war) and then it’ll hit like a hurricane as people go back to normal. We don’t have the police or army to enforce more than very geographically limited areas of quarantine or isolation.

I actually think it’s possible to equally argue every country shutting things down recently is wilfully misleading its citizens by saying it’s just until the start of April. They’re buying time and compliance by selling a pup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

A friend in the know says the Euros are off 

I think they have postponed for 12 months, but not 100 percent sure.

I'd just like to know for definite on the festival .  TBH a postponement until September must be easier to implement now rather than waiting and having to cancel completely

Does anyone have a list of UK (or other but those are less relevant) festivals from now leading up to Glastonbury (and afterwards)?

I feel like monitoring statements made/the situations of these festivals would obviously be good to gauge what Glastonbury is likely to announce/decide. I know the majority will just be following government advice, but I still feel it’d be helpful!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jack.194 said:

Does anyone have a list of UK (or other but those are less relevant) festivals from now leading up to Glastonbury (and afterwards)?

I feel like monitoring statements made/the situations of these festivals would obviously be good to gauge what Glastonbury is likely to announce/decide. I know the majority will just be following government advice, but I still feel it’d be helpful!

All Points East is soon, I guess I should check in with them as I have a ticket and everything.

Just now, Jack.194 said:

If only there was a website that had a list, maybe even in date order of all the festivals. If it was held electronically, it could be called ..... 😋

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jack.194 said:

I usually use a site called efestivals, they list almost all of them.

• Upvote 2