2021 Headliners

14 hours ago, kemosabe said:

Agreed. Especially bad when you realise you weren’t doing anything at that time/ or watching someone you didn’t enjoy. Just where was I when Hinds opened up the JP tent in 2015 haha 

Yes, they’re really cool! Hope they play Glastonbury next summer.  

I did a bad one by missing someone I already knew.

In 2015, Skepta played the WOW stage... My sister had told me he was really good and about to blow up. Me, being ignorant went "nah, I'm gonna go see Pharrell instead"

Pharrell was shit. Few months later, Skepta was leading the mainstream breakout of grime.

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not sure how reliable this is but Kendrick 2022?

I can just see it going that way that the dream headliners of Kendrick and Taylor both show up in 2022, for when none of the 2020 ticket holders have tickets guaranteed.

I know that's not how Glastonbury works, you never "know" who is going to be there when you get the tickets... but having known for this year and it being swept away, I can just see life slapping me around the face like that 😂

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I can just see it going that way that the dream headliners of Kendrick and Taylor both show up in 2022, for when none of the 2020 ticket holders have tickets guaranteed.

I know that's not how Glastonbury works, you never "know" who is going to be there when you get the tickets... but having known for this year and it being swept away, I can just see life slapping me around the face like that 😂

Don’t give up hope for those 2022 tickets if that is the case ... you can still get there ... enjoy 2021 in its own celebratory it’s on way ... and then party hard in 2022 

31 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

It seems like Kendrick has gone back to the drawing board with pretty much all of his plans. Makes me think whatever album he had in the works has been majorly revised due to recent developments and events.

1 minute ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Perhaps Glasto should have offered a roll over to 2021 or 2022 (decide before October) to give people a chance at tickets this year. Or would that just have made getting tickets very very difficult for two years.. 

Nah, I think a one year roll over is pretty simple but trying to give options of carrying over multiple years is a recipe for disaster.

OK, I'll bite...

RHCP have veered heavily between the sublime and the ridiculous over the years.  I used to love Blood Sugar Sex Magik and that early funk/rap/I've got a big boner sound, but listening back to it now it really doesn't do much for me.  The actual instrumental work is still good, but Kiedis' schtick really hasn't aged at all well. There are still some good tracks in those first few albums, but stuff like Give It Away sounds really tired now.

For me they hit their stride when they moved away from that sound and went more melodic in Californication. Again that album still has some nonsense on it, but tracks like Parallel Universe, Scar Tissue, Road Tripping and Californication have aged far better than their earlier stuff. They carried that into By The Way, and on the more old-style tracks like Can't Stop they toned down the OTT shite and churned out some good tunes.

Stadium Arcadium was your classic double album - overblown and largely forgettable, but there are a couple of good songs in there. And the stuff since then has been pretty nondescript.

I've seen them live 4 times - Reading '99 just after Californication came out, Hyde Park '04, Reading Madjeski Stadium '06 on the Stadium Arcadium tour, and Benicassim in '17. And they've been a mixed bag. Reading fest was incredible, Hyde Park was OK, Madjeski Stadium was utter garbage, and Benicassim was back on top form.  Based on my experiences it's a real lottery of whether you'll have a blast or not. And if you aren't that familiar with the back catalogue (one of the highlights for me in '17 was them playing tracks from the early albums I'd never heard live) then the dips between the well known tracks will be pretty dull.

If they did rock up as a headliner at GF I probably wouldn't bother as I don't fancy my chances of getting a good show out of them, they've not released anything since I last saw them to get me excited, and there'd undoubtedly be something on elsewhere I'd want to watch.

Footnote - all 4 times I've seen them they have, mercifully, kept their clothes on.

• Upvote 1