2021 Headliners

I just think what radio station an act is played on isn’t really a bearing as to whether they are worthy headliners.

If you are someone who doesn’t really listen to any new music or what is trendy it’s kinda not the festivals fault if they book someone you’ve never heard of or lost track of. Just my two cents.

Edited by Matt42

1 minute ago, fatyeti24 said:

I occasionally hear Kendrick, never to my knowledge do I hear Taylor.

I'm in my 40s, I have no kids, my points of reference are obviously going to be different.  Add  in how much ways of listening to music has changed over, say, the last 20 years and it's easy to miss where things are!

This

Just now, Matt42 said:

I just think what radio station an act is played on isn’t really a bearing as to whether they are worthy headliners.

If you are someone who doesn’t really listen to any new music or what is trendy it’s kinda not the festivals fault if they book someone you’ve never heard of. Just my two cents.

Oh I'm making no claims on her suitability for being a headliner, beyond me saying above that I'd probably go and watch her.

And I hear lots of new music, because they make new music for 40 somethings too - that's what 6 Music is for!

I was just curious as to where one may need to tune one's wireless receiver to hear Lady Gaga in 2020.  I think that has been answered now, for which I offer my gratitude.

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

Oh I'm making no claims on her suitability for being a headliner, beyond me saying above that I'd probably go and watch her.

And I hear lots of new music, because they make new music for 40 somethings too - that's what 6 Music is for!

I was just curious as to where one may need to tune one's wireless receiver to hear Lady Gaga in 2020.  I think that has been answered now, for which I offer my gratitude.

Do you use Spotify? I’ve warmed up to music streaming so much in the past few years because it’s an easy way to dip in and out of different artists and see what the fuss is about.

It used to be that there were some acts who didn’t allow their music on streaming platforms but now that has all passed.

And yes I do know they make new music for 40 somethings :P I guess I just try and keep in touch with whatever is popular so I don’t start to feel old! It’s like Lewis Capaldi. His music is not my thing at all but I don’t want to be naive to the fact that he’s a big big big deal right now.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Do you use Spotify? I’ve warmed up to music streaming so much in the past few years because it’s an easy way to dip in and out of different artists and see what the fuss is about.

It used to be that there were some acts who didn’t allow their music on streaming platforms but now that has all passed.

And yes I do know they make new music for 40 somethings :P I guess I just try and keep in touch with whatever is popular so I don’t start to feel old! It’s like Lewis Capaldi. His music is not my thing at all but I don’t want to be naive to the fact that he’s a big big big deal right now.

One of the unexpected pleasures I have discovered about growing older is that I can genuinely not care about the things I don't care about.

I'll explain, using your Lewis Capaldi analogy.

In the past I would have been like you - Capaldi wouldn't have been my thing, but I would have known why.  I would have informed myself.

Now I don't care.  He's not to my tastes and that's that.  He may headline and all the rest of it, but, heh.  So what.

I do stream.  I was an early adopter of digital music.  I still have some files I downloaded from Napster in the 90s.  But Spotify's recommendation algorithm is so good that it keeps me nicely ensconced in a bubble of things I like, much of which, if not new, is new to me.  Unless something happens to put a bit of Gaga into that, then she's unlikely just to come in my ears.

Interesting chat 👍

Streaming is now my preferred option, particularly if I'm buried in work as the radio chat can distract a bit. Although recently having had my eyes opened a bit to the pretty rough deal bands get from streaming services I'm going to make more effort to actually pay for stuff through bandcamp (or elsewhere) if it's something I'm going back to.

I guess the point about hearing about new stuff is that if you're not moving in the circles or listening to the right stations, you wouldn't even know that artist x has released a new album or track, let alone have listened to it. 

And I've made my peace with not knowing about everything new. It's just physically impossible to be fully aware of everything happening unless it's your full time job.  It sounds a wee bit condescending, but I put it down to age a bit.  I'm similar age to Yeti, and I know now that no matter how much I try and listen to certain artists or genres, however commercially or critically successful they are, it just doesn't do it for me. So I don't :)

Just now, fatyeti24 said:

One of the unexpected pleasures I have discovered about growing older is that I can genuinely not care about the things I don't care about.

I'll explain, using your Lewis Capaldi analogy.

In the past I would have been like you - Capaldi wouldn't have been my thing, but I would have known why.  I would have informed myself.

Now I don't care.  He's not to my tastes and that's that.  He may headline and all the rest of it, but, heh.  So what.

I do stream.  I was an early adopter of digital music.  I still have some files I downloaded from Napster in the 90s.  But Spotify's recommendation algorithm is so good that it keeps me nicely ensconced in a bubble of things I like, much of which, if not new, is new to me.  Unless something happens to put a bit of Gaga into that, then she's unlikely just to come in my ears.

Interesting chat 👍

I'm just going to stop typing and let you do it - we're basically saying the same stuff but you get it out quicker :D

Ha! Matt's helping keep us young.

There are three or four places that I get recommendations for music from:

• 6Music (including their Recommends and New Music playlists on BBC Sounds)
  • the new music thread on here
  • Q magazine's album reviews
  • Deezer although their recommendation doesn't seem to be that effective for me for some reason, but I suspect that's down to how I like & favourite stuff. Browsing their new release section generally throws some stuff up.

Yeah, the new music thread is great especially for the smaller acts that I would never have heard of otherwise (would never have heard of Thyla etc. otherwise). I get a lot of recommendations from reddit too (hiphopheads, indieheads and popheads are all great depending on what genres you like), and seeing what is going down well on stuff like album of the year.

I found recently that Spotify has kind of left me in a feedback loop. I wasn’t listening to any new acts/bands, just new (or old) music from ones I already love. So I was actually listening to less and less new music. 

I actually found a lot of new acts from the Glastonbury 2020 line up poster which was great, glad they released that. I think line up posters are normally the best way for me to check. I can just slowly work my way through new names to me over time (even when I’m not off to the festival) 

I’ve always found it impossible to keep up with everything new in music. A quick glance at pitchfork reviews and there’s tens of albums every single week! So often I’ll see a gig I fancy, or a act at a festival I plan to see, and when I go to listen to them on Spotify realise they’ve put out like two albums since I last checked! 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:53 AM, Quark said:

I know that @WS_Jack_III has posted his tracks on the New Music thread before so I believe it's OK, although I don't know if there were any specific conversations with @eFestivals about it first.

Just make sure the track's decent, we're very discerning listeners in these parts ;)

Have I managed that? 😂

3 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Yeah, the new music thread is great especially for the smaller acts that I would never have heard of otherwise (would never have heard of Thyla etc. otherwise). I get a lot of recommendations from reddit too (hiphopheads, indieheads and popheads are all great depending on what genres you like), and seeing what is going down well on stuff like album of the year.

As my live gigs tend (tended? :() to be smaller bands it's a dream for me.  Discover something on the NM thread, check it on Deezer, look on egigs to see when they're playing near me.

Admittedly I'll quite often find they played near me 2 weeks ago and I just missed them, but that's beside the point :lol:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

As my live gigs tend (tended? :() to be smaller bands it's a dream for me.  Discover something on the NM thread, check it on Deezer, look on egigs to see when they're playing near me.

Admittedly I'll quite often find they played near me 2 weeks ago and I just missed them, but that's beside the point :lol:

Haha I’m still fuming about four years ago I managed to discover this (at the time) tiny indie band from Australia through recommendations from an Aussie friend (The Goon Sax - They’re on the NM thread actually!), then I looked and saw that completely by chance they’d  played my favorite tiny record store in Sunderland, literally the week before, on their first UK tour. 

Edited by kemosabe

I think you might have originally stuck it up with an "is this ok?" attached to it.

I guess the only issue would be if you're actively trying to flog stuff on here. Posting links to vids and tracks happens all the time, just so happens to be an efests member rather than lady gaga!

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I think you might have originally stuck it up with an "is this ok?" attached to it.

I guess the only issue would be if you're actively trying to flog stuff on here. Posting links to vids and tracks happens all the time, just so happens to be an efests member rather than lady gaga!

Maybe Lady Gaga is an efests member... 

3 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

Haha I’m still fuming about four years ago I managed to discover this (at the time) tiny indie band from Australia through recommendations from an Aussie friend (The Goon Sax - They’re on the NM thread actually!), then I looked and saw that completely by chance they’d  played my favorite tiny record store in Sunderland, literally the week before, on their first UK tour. 

It's always Glastonbury for me. Discover a band over the summer and then find they played low down the pecking order and I just didn't know they existed. So many times...

Also, thumbs up for Goon Sax

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's always Glastonbury for me. Discover a band over the summer and then find they played low down the pecking order and I just didn't know they existed. So many times...

Also, thumbs up for Goon Sax

Agreed. Especially bad when you realise you weren’t doing anything at that time/ or watching someone you didn’t enjoy. Just where was I when Hinds opened up the JP tent in 2015 haha 

Yes, they’re really cool! Hope they play Glastonbury next summer.  

Much the same as @Quark and @fatyeti24 on the radio front here. Since changing my car to one with a digital radio I've barely listened to any station apart from 6 Music. The Mrs has gone down the Country Hits station route so the only place I ever used to hear new mainstream music (Radio 2) has gone by the wayside (apart from Liza Tarbuck's show which plays some excellent, unexpected choices). 

Radio 2 would often play Swift, Gaga and co but was admittedly fairly light on Kendrick. 

Can confirm Gaga has been getting absolutely rinsed by Radio 1 and Radio 2 over the last few months. Rain probably gets played four or five times a day between the two stations, including an absolutely terrible/amazing remix on Serious Jockin'. 

I seem to rotate between those two stations and then Spotify and NTS recently. Spotify is fantastic but I find it definitely keeps me in my own bubble music wise. 

Funnily enough, Kenny got played this morning on Radio 1 and I felt a tinge of sadness that he's not currently coming off the back of a triumphant Glasto headline set.