2021 Headliners

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Matt’s a good kid at heart, he really is.

I get frustrated with him because he seems to see the world in absolutes - black/white, good/bad and you either agree with him totally or you’re completely opposed to him. He loses track of the argument and ramps it up ridiculous extremes to try and justify his starting point.

Not one person here defended Meighan or said his crimes were anything other than abominable. But because nobody agreed with Matt’s view that he should be kicked out of music forever this ridiculous argument took place and he now believes that we are all a bunch of dark fruit swigging Neanderthals.

I blame you entirely for the whole thing.

Agreed though, was thinking about this as I popped out to get some milk.  It's the absolutes that I always end up butting heads with Matt over.

I've got no desire to see him bugger off from the boards (you listening @Matt42?)

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Matt’s a good kid at heart, he really is.

I get frustrated with him because he seems to see the world in absolutes - black/white, good/bad and you either agree with him totally or you’re completely opposed to him. He loses track of the argument and ramps it up ridiculous extremes to try and justify his starting point.

Not one person here defended Meighan or said his crimes were anything other than abominable. But because nobody agreed with Matt’s view that he should be kicked out of music forever this ridiculous argument took place and he now believes that we are all a bunch of dark fruit swigging Neanderthals.

I agree with you totally. Again it seems to be a case of coming from a good place, but losing the point in the emotion of it all and losing clarity. I almost see you as a father figure to him at times...

It's unfortunate, though, that where people like yourself are having a discussion, there are other users who take every opportunity to either make snide remarks about him, or be outright nasty. That's what I want to call out because at this point it's very noticeable, and some people are taking little shots at him even in completely innocuous discussions. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Have you heard of a show called Game of Thrones? It definitely didn’t divide it’s fanbase on its conclusion. 

In fairness that's another show I started watching as the final season aired...

24 minutes ago, Quark said:

Made me think of this.  Love Sarah Andersen's stuff :lol:

EBX736gX4AEKKRz.jpg.77dd3221173fbdcd860b6a9476890f31.jpg

With TV stuff this is what I actively do now!! As I mentioned in the albums of the half year thread there's way too much content and it feels like an endless battle to keep up so with tv I made the decision to voluntarily place myself behind the curve so that Lost never happens to me again!! 

I tend to wait until people rave about stuff for enough time that I can consider it worth my investment of my time. I've had a busy few hours at work so have missed several pages of this thread as well. 

I'm WFH and decided to procrastinate for half an hour and have a leisurely read of the forum; got a bit more than I bargained for! 

I think we can all agree that domestic abuse = bad and that listening to indie bands doesn't necessarily = dark fruits guzzling wife beater. 

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

I agree with you totally. Again it seems to be a case of coming from a good place, but losing the point in the emotion of it all and losing clarity. I almost see you as a father figure to him at times...

It's unfortunate, though, that where people like yourself are having a discussion, there are other users who take every opportunity to either make snide remarks about him, or be outright nasty. That's what I want to call out because at this point it's very noticeable, and some people are taking little shots at him even in completely innocuous discussions. 

I won’t be hypocritical enough to say I’ve never had a dig at him, but today for example I was trying to get him to see the argument beyond the emotional. Saying “he should never work again” is the emotional response but it’s not how society functions. It’s the jumping to extremes that annoys me - if you don’t like Billie Eilish then you’re indie lad Luddite for example.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

With TV stuff this is what I actively do now!! As I mentioned in the albums of the half year thread there's way too much content and it feels like an endless battle to keep up so with tv I made the decision to voluntarily place myself behind the curve so that Lost never happens to me again!! 

I tend to wait until people rave about stuff for enough time that I can consider it worth my investment of my time. I've had a busy few hours at work so have missed several pages of this thread as well. 

I'd leave it that way tbh.  Not a great read...

I would definitely recommend following Sarah Andersen's stuff though.  I find her stuff incredibly relatable, and very very funny 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

All this excitement has distracted from one puzzling issue: how did he manage to try and drag her inside a hamster cage?!

The way I read the news report he pushed her onto one (as in she probably hit the outside of it?) 

59 minutes ago, jparx said:

That's what I get for taking half an hour to type a comment - y'all moved on! 😂

Anywho - Mad Cool announcing tomorrow. Not sure we'll get any new info, expecting the usual mix of acts who have rescheduled for 2021.

It'll have to be something REALLY good to get me to keep my ticket and not get the refund - one of my best friends (who was coming to MC this year) is moving to Budapest to teach next year and living right in the centre so I think I'll refund Mad Cool and keep the money for if Sziget happens next year. 

It'll be interesting if they do announce any new Glastonbury headliner potentials though

Back to the more pleasant topic of Musical Theatre on the Pyramid Stage I actually think there are a few candidates that would be great for an opener or mid-afternoon but not convinced it's headliner material. I've been dreaming of Tim Minchin on the Pyramid Stage on his own for years but I'd accept him doing some of his musical numbers with some of his comedy songs thrown in. 

I'v not watched Hamilton yet but it's on my list (back to me always being behind the curve here!!) I did see Book Of Mormon last year and hugely enjoyed that! 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

It'll have to be something REALLY good to get me to keep my ticket and not get the refund - one of my best friends (who was coming to MC this year) is moving to Budapest to teach next year and living right in the centre so I think I'll refund Mad Cool and keep the money for if Sziget happens next year. 

It'll be interesting if they do announce any new Glastonbury headliner potentials though

I’m expecting it to be quite a “meh” announcement to be honest. Can’t see them having anything up their sleeve that isn’t already announced for other festivals next year or any big surprises. Hope I’m wrong though - we could use some excitement!

Considering the rest of the band didn’t decide to break up you’d imagine he’ll be invited back in a couple of years. It’s an incredibly shitty thing he did but other musicians/actors/famous people have come back from much worse, and I don’t see them continuing to go on without him. I’ll give it three years at most before they’re back on the scene in some way. 

I agree with this.

As a fan of Kasabian (don't shoot me) I don't think it would be the same without him.

( I'm not saying what he did wasn't terrible - it was, and we've been thru it enough today, and also I don't wanna argue. But it wouldn't be the same to go and watch them if he wasn't there )

• Upvote 1

So I think they will either have him back as FloorFiller said, or that's the end for the band but I cant see it going that way since they only announced him leaving and not the band splitting up

Edited by Wellyboot
sorry I should have done that all as one not 2, I get carried away sometimes

I'm actually a bit gutted.

For all the stick they get, they were (are?) an important band to me. That first album dropped when I was 16, a game changer. Second when I was at uni and holds some real good memories along with plenty of gigs; not least the Glastonbury 2014 one.

That statement from the band was absolutely awful on reflection though and was only ever gonna get people sending best wishes, shit house trick really. No excusing what he's done and I think personally if they do continue as a band, he won't be returning.

Just now, Wellyboot said:

I agree with this.

As a fan of Kasabian (don't shoot me) I don't think it would be the same without him.

( I'm not saying what he did wasn't terrible - it was, and we've been thru it enough today, and also I don't wanna argue. But it wouldn't be the same to go and watch them if he wasn't there )

It would be an hour and a half of Shoot the Runner with Serge. Nah seriously though, I’m currently not so sure they will. The band seem to be against Tom now and for good reason from the statement I reckon it’ll be longer than three years for Serge to give him a chance. What he’s done with regards to the band is spoil what they’ve worked up and the reputation has been tarnished because of his actions, Serge will understandably be fuming and the band must be disgusted, especially when starting an album. 

They are a great band, glad I saw them and gutted they may not perform together again. But you can’t do what he’s done and get your privileges back and I don’t care if others have it’s time to set a precedent doing things like that are not okay and if you can’t get your job back in professions and in the ‘real world’ then why should he. Kasabian were one of the first bands I saw and for him to do this is gutting. I would see Kasabian without Tom as they’ll need support. 

i feel awful for the kid enduring what they saw and his wife being beaten. Alcohol and depression is no excuse and he needs servere help to get his life back on track and for it to never happen again. 

• Upvote 1