2021 Headliners

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Cause headlining Reading in 2014 means they could never play Glastonbury at all apparently. They won’t even be back to doing anything for maybe 3 years. Maybe we should just consider that theyve never been asked so it might not even be about where they would end up. Emily could book Hayley Williams on her own and then itll kinda get the itch for the whole band to go play eventually if we’re talking next year. 

I don’t think it was that at all but Paramore don’t seem to be a thing anymore and because they headlined Reading 6 + years ago it doesn’t mean they can headline Glastonbury.

Theyve done well at R&L because that is their crowd. The same way Enter Shikari can play big slots at R&L.

Some bands have bigger followings at some festivals than others. Paramore never played big slots anywhere else!

Just now, Suprefan said:

Cause headlining Reading in 2014 means they could never play Glastonbury at all apparently. They won’t even be back to doing anything for maybe 3 years. Maybe we should just consider that theyve never been asked so it might not even be about where they would end up. Emily could book Hayley Williams on her own and then itll kinda get the itch for the whole band to go play eventually if we’re talking next year. 

Well they've not played Glastonbury in their entire career as they've risen up lineups, so why now? Pop/punk isn't really a genre Glastonbury goes near 'cause Reading/Leeds have more than got that covered, and Paramore would demand a big slot these days which I doubt Glastonbury would give them. Next time they're touring it's almost a guarantee that they'll just end up back headlining Reading and Leeds again rather than taking lower slots at Glastonbury.

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Fatboy strikes me as someone who was booked for the slot for a specific reason and not just because they didn't have other options. Feels like they specifically want him in that slot, so I'm not sure I see that changing to be honest.

Depends how much of a big deal they’re making of the 50th next year. I can fully understand the booking for 2020, but if 21 is considered just another year it sticks out like a sore thumb.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t think it was that at all but Paramore don’t seem to be a thing anymore and because they headlined Reading 6 + years ago it doesn’t mean they can headline Glastonbury.

Even that was billed as a co-headline slot. 

Hayley's solo album was decent, I'd go out my way to see a solo set further than I would Paramore.

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Well they've not played Glastonbury in their entire career as they've risen up lineups, so why now? Pop/punk isn't really a genre Glastonbury goes near 'cause Reading/Leeds have more than got that covered, and Paramore would demand a big slot these days which I doubt Glastonbury would give them. Next time they're touring it's almost a guarantee that they'll just end up back headlining Reading and Leeds again rather than taking lower slots at Glastonbury.

Considering their transition into a more indie pop sound on their last record I wouldnt be suprised if Glasto did pay attention to them. I reckon they'd go down great as an other headliner (but no chance of headlining the whole thing)

Just now, Matt42 said:

I love Paramore but I’d think they’d struggle to headline even R&L now.

I know it’s the US but they’ve been accepting some very low slots at US festivals. That’s their strongest market too!

Reckon after a break for Hayley's solo stuff and then another big comeback they could shoot back up lineups again and be an easy booking for Reading/Leeds. Last album was fantastic but unfortunately didn't seem to light the world on fire commercially. Wouldn't write them off just yet.

7 minutes ago, mufcok said:

What did Emily say about 2021 originally? Back when life was normal, I've gone blank

Two booked/agreed or one?

At the end of this she said they had three headliners pencilled in but not finalised. One had played before but we weren't sure if that meant only one of them was a returning headliner or if two of them hadn't ever played the festival before.

Edited by kingcrawler

3 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Theyve done well at R&L because that is their crowd. The same way Enter Shikari can play big slots at R&L.

Some bands have bigger followings at some festivals than others. Paramore never played big slots anywhere else!

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Exactly the answers i was expecting. They did get some solid spots on some festivals during their last tour. It just wasnt anything you yourself would pay attention to.  They headlined one of the stages at Summer Sonic, 3rd on the main stage at Bonnaroo on their respective day and subheadlined at Riot Fest beneath a reformed Jawbreaker. 

And you might notice that the band themselves are really over being labeled as a pop/punk and such. ( they even retired their biggest song cause of its lyrics ) So Glastonbury could be a place they would be happy about playing and not perform  at a place that had “their crowd”. I mean My Chemical Romance would be allowed to perform at Glasto cause theyre back and it would be a “huge booking” but you wouldnt allow Paramore be on the bill? Ok sure, lets exclude the biggest female fronted band of “that genre”, and then youre  also railing against the festivals desire to have a 50/50 gender split regardless of genre. 🤔

im not even trying to say they need to be a stage headliner either, put em on the bill and rest will take care of itself. 🤷🏻‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Exactly the answers i was expecting. They did get some solid spots on some festivals during their last tour. It just wasnt anything you yourself would pay attention to.  They headlined one of the stages at Summer Sonic, 3rd on the main stage at Bonnaroo on their respective day and subheadlined at Riot Fest beneath a reformed Jawbreaker. 

And you might notice that the band themselves are really over being labeled as a pop/punk and such. ( they even retired their biggest song cause of its lyrics ) So Glastonbury could be a place they would be happy about playing and not perform  at a place that had “their crowd”. I mean My Chemical Romance would be allowed to perform at Glasto cause theyre back and it would be a “huge booking” but you wouldnt allow Paramore be on the bill? Ok sure, lets exclude the biggest female fronted band of “that genre”, and then youre  also railing against the festivals desire to have a 50/50 gender split regardless of genre. 🤔

im not even trying to say they need to be a stage headliner either, put em on the bill and rest will take care of itself. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kind of putting a lot of words in my mouth there 😄 I only guessed at MCR due to their tour dates, and as it turns out it probably wasn't them and was most likely the far more Glastonbury friendly Mumfords instead, so using them as an example of a band who is 'allowed' doesn't hold up. And just because Paramore are female fronted doesn't mean shit. They gonna get Evanescence to play next as well? Gotta include all the females! Think you're letting your fandom get in the way here a bit. I agree that their move away from pop/punk may land in their favour of playing somewhere down the road, but as it stands they've never played, even when they did release a very un-pop/punk album, and in my opinion they probably aren't gonna get a call any time soon (and let me tell you, I'd very much be front and centre if it ever does happen).

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe I'm missing something but weren't the band essentially a vehicle for whatserface - and so now she's releasing records under her own steam they no longer have any reason to exist?

I think she always disliked that this was the case and specifically wanted to be in a band, even though it's largely always been 'Hayley Williams and a rotating roster of faceless blokes'. I think Paramore will continue as her solo stuff is a bit different, although with how Paramore were morphing her new album probably could've been released under their name without raising too many alarms.

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe I'm missing something but weren't the band essentially a vehicle for whatserface - and so now she's releasing records under her own steam they no longer have any reason to exist?

I believe they're working on a new 'Paramore' album too. The other Paramore lads have writing credits on most of her solo album tracks so I don't think there's any animosity either 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I think Paramore will continue as her solo stuff is a bit different, although with how Paramore were morphing her new album probably could've been released under their name without raising too many alarms.

After After Laughter, Petals For Armor would have been disappointing.

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Not quite sure what your argument is here. I think the reason why Paramore are unlikely to play Glastonbury is because I don’t think they have a strong following at the festival. They’d probably perform very well but I don’t think there is much of a demand for them to play. 

It would work really well if they played something like an other sub or JP headliner, but I can’t see them accepting a slot that low.

5 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

At the end of this she said they had three headliners pencilled in but not finalised. One had played before but we weren't sure if that meant only one of them was a returning headliner or if two of them hadn't ever played the festival before.

Feels so weird watching this video and remembering all of the drama (well, Slowthai) from that night. Honestly feels like about five years has passed since then. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Sounds like he doesn’t even know himself from that little quote. Maybe it sounds more promising in context.

He did seem a little like he was beginning to show his age in that bbc interview on Sunday ... he’s no spring chicken anymore unfortunately... 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

He did seem a little like he was beginning to show his age in that bbc interview on Sunday ... he’s no spring chicken anymore unfortunately... 

I’ve found that he really struggles with interviews now...

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I’ve found that he really struggles with interviews now...

1 minute ago, Cream Soda said:

I thought the same when i was watching that, bless him 

unfortunately sad but inevitable .... mind you if im as spritely as him at 84 ill be happy .....