Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

34 minutes ago, KPSandwiches said:

The F-bombs are definitely shocking on the first listen, and maybe that's how / why they earn their place? I don't know if anyone from the community it impacts on this forum feels strongly either way but would like to know. The language makes the story / message very affecting for me personally.

I'm gay and, honestly, really dislike like the use of it – even if it's in the context of a quote. But I'm sure plenty of queer people will have differing views on this because we all have a different history with the word.

Personally I'm just not at all interested in giving space to a straight man to ~explore these issues~ by utilising slurs like this when he's shown to be a thoughtful writer throughout his career. It's a shock tactic designed to get people chatting and I think he's just better than that, to be honest, particularly given the excellent song it's placed within.

I know this guy is seemingly untouchable and a genius and a poet and the GOAT etc etc but the idea that majority straight audiences might potentially rap along with it live is honestly fucking mortifying to me.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I know this guy is seemingly untouchable and a genius and a poet and the GOAT etc etc but the idea that majority straight audiences might potentially rap along with it live is honestly fucking mortifying to me.

Reckon there’s basically almost no chance this song is ever performed live tbh if that’s any comfort.

Pleased he’s still doing a fairly extensive UK tour. He’s definitely at the stage now where he could’ve just done a London residency and not ventured anywhere else. Birmingham on Bonfire Night will be fun even though he’s playing at the Utilita (like everyone else these days).

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

8 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I'm gay and, honestly, really dislike like the use of it – even if it's in the context of a quote. But I'm sure plenty of queer people will have differing views on this because we all have a different history with the word.

Personally I'm just not at all interested in giving space to a straight man to ~explore these issues~ by utilising slurs like this when he's shown to be a thoughtful writer throughout his career. It's a shock tactic designed to get people chatting and I think he's just better than that, to be honest, particularly given the excellent song it's placed within.

Thanks for volunteering this. I think you've been generous and articulate in how you've shared your thoughts - appreciate it. 

I agree the idea of this ever being performed live is weird...I suspect (hope?!) he never will, for the reason you've described.

Get more interesting. Will they be changing the Pyramid. Cause his arena tour has quite a long walkway on the floor.  Considering Billie has one and now Kendrick. They gonna do it next month? For Coachella Kendrick had elements used at there for the arena tour so either he shows off everything or Glasto is limited and we lose out on something.

9F9169D0-0007-4C2A-A619-2AFE4576D847.png

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Get more interesting. Will they be changing the Pyramid. Cause his arena tour has quite a long walkway on the floor.  Considering Billie has one and now Kendrick. They gonna do it next month? For Coachella Kendrick had elements used at there for the arena tour so either he shows off everything or Glasto is limited and we lose out on something.

Oh boy.

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Feels unlikely. Might put a small one in but I can’t see them bothering with something that big. 

Feel like that might not be viable in the UK anyway. Like he’s playing Leeds arena and that walkway defo ain’t fitting in there. 

Edited by the wonderwhy

3 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

It’s definitely at the point now where they ought to be willing to facilitate some sort of runway even if not one that long. Taylor will want one when she eventually headlines as well. 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

I don’t want to come across as overly ignorant here but I’m sure I’m about to. I genuinely am not looking to offend or upset anyone. 

The F word is a word I’d never use in person exactly the same as the N word. I don’t really find myself particularly offended hearing either word in the context of this record. Are some of you new to Hip Hop or really selective in what you listen to? The F and the N word appear in a lot of Hip Hop. I’m not saying it’s okay or whatever but it isn’t exactly surprising. I’m curious to know if you’re offended by the use of both words and has it come as a shock to you the use of said words?

2 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

It’s definitely at the point now where they ought to be willing to facilitate some sort of runway even if not one that long. Taylor will want one when she eventually headlines as well. 

Well I figured if at anything on Friday it was going to be the easiest to have one because they can have it all set up at the Pyramid way ahead of time to Billies liking. And then that night they change it back for the rest of the weekend. Although with Kendrick on Sunday it begs the question of them maybe doing it twice. Logistics wise it wouldve been smart to have left Macca for Sunday so the 2 acts using it dont have to put the crews under extra pressure and such. We'll find out. And def gonna be able to see that change on Weds even thiugh they close off the front of the stage.

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I don’t want to come across as overly ignorant here but I’m sure I’m about to. I genuinely am not looking to offend or upset anyone. 

The F word is a word I’d never use in person exactly the same as the N word. I don’t really find myself particularly offended hearing either word in the context of this record. Are some of you new to Hip Hop or really selective in what you listen to? The F and the N word appear in a lot of Hip Hop. I’m not saying it’s okay or whatever but it isn’t exactly surprising. I’m curious to know if you’re offended by the use of both words and has it come as a shock to you the use of said words?

I listen to tons of hip hop and F-bombing feels like it died out years ago to be honest. Have you listened to much in the last two years that's used it?

Think it's a juvenile hangover at best in 2022 if it's being used casually.

N-bombs seem an accepted part of the lexicon so not offended but understand it's not my word to use in the same context (I'm white if not already obvious).

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

They did it for the Stones didn’t they? 

I’m pretty meh about it anyway. Doesn’t seem to add any value and it just reduces the standing area for everyone 🤷

2 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Although it doesn’t personally bother me in the context of Kendrick’s song (although jarring to hear), the F word being used in hip hop is something that very much should stay in the past and whenever somebody does it these days they sound like an ignorant dinosaur. Eminem is one who continues to use it and quite frankly seems like a dickhead for it. It may have flew in the 90’s and 00’s (or be more overlooked) but these days it really shouldn’t still be an issue.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

the difference between a black man saying the n-word and a straight man saying the f-word is pretty clear to me 

• Upvote 3