Kendrick Lamar

JoeyT

Kendrick Lamar - Would you be there?  

623 members have voted

1. 1. Now listed as a SR - Will you be watching if he's headlining?

• Yes - Definitely, regardless of who else is on the other stages.
    • More than likely - Depending on strength of the clashes on other stages.
    • Unlikely - Know a couple of songs but there would probably be something else on you'd watch instead.
    • No - Not a fan so will be elsewhere

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s absolutely incredible. I think this could be my favourite album of his. Genuinely.

So mature. And the ability to hook you in and unsettle you is insane. 

He is one of the greatest rappers of all time.

I just want to say, because I know it gets some hate/teasing on here - I've loved reading your enthusiasm about this album and Kendrick today, great to hear people experiencing music like this.

I definitely agree, it's a very very good record and better than damn. As others have said. 100% I'll be there in the pit Sunday evening

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s absolutely incredible. I think this could be my favourite album of his. Genuinely.

So mature. And the ability to hook you in and unsettle you is insane. 

He is one of the greatest rappers of all time.

He’s unparalleled at the moment by some stretch. Not only is his actual rapping ability insane but he’s touching subjects that other rappers daren’t or wouldn’t think to. Writing a pro-trans song as a rapper is huge as homophobia/transphobia is rampant in that community, and it’s one of the best songs on the album to boot. A lot of people are gonna hear that and have their head turned a little, especially that final payoff. They don’t call him the GOAT for nothing. 

• Upvote 3

If he plays roughly 20 songs, I could see/would love a setlist of these songs:

United In Grief
N95
Die Hard
Father Time
Mr. Morale
Mother I Sober
Mirror

Family Ties

All The Stars

DNA.
LOYALTY.
HUMBLE.

King Kunta
Alright

Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
Backseat Freestyle
Money Trees
m.A.A.d city
Swimming Pools (Drank)
Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst

9 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

If he plays roughly 20 songs, I could see/would love a setlist of these songs:

United In Grief
N95
Die Hard
Father Time
Mr. Morale
Mother I Sober
Mirror

Family Ties

All The Stars

DNA.
LOYALTY.
HUMBLE.

King Kunta
Alright

Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe
Backseat Freestyle
Money Trees
m.A.A.d city
Swimming Pools (Drank)
Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst

I need Purple Hearts. The beat is too good. Get Summer Walker on the pyramid. 

Edited by Matt42

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

We Cry Together is as intense a piece of music I've ever heard. 

It’s grown on me a lot. The beat is great and this kinda takes me back to 90s hip hop albums. Feels a bit like a time capsule. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s grown on me a lot. The beat is great and this kinda takes me back to 90s hip hop albums. Feels a bit like a time capsule. 

Played the album a few times today, really enjoyed it all but no tune stopped me in my tracks like We Cry Together. So visceral. Correct me if I'm wrong but no one else is making music like this, right? 

Based on this poll, it seems about a third of all people attending will see Kendrick. About 50k. Is that comparable to other headliners in the recent past?

I'd say that I struggle to enjoy Kendrick and I'm a BIG fan of hip hop, especially alternative hip hop. I still don't know what I'm missing. I love Tribe, De La Soul, Run the Jewels.

Are his songs mostly growers? They're incredibly different and varied, although I still think King Kunta is one of his best songs because the flow sounds better.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Based on this poll, it seems about a third of all people attending will see Kendrick. About 50k. Is that comparable to other headliners in the recent past?

I'd say that I struggle to enjoy Kendrick and I'm a BIG fan of hip hop, especially alternative hip hop. I still don't know what I'm missing. I love Tribe, De La Soul, Run the Jewels.

Are his songs mostly growers? They're incredibly different and varied, although I still think King Kunta is one of his best songs because the flow sounds better.

if you love hip hop and not feeling him by now then i dont think it will change any time soonl esepcially if you like RTJ and the social / polticial hip hop killer mike drops, im surprised you havent connected with kendrick. 

3 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This forum is not a great representation for the festival crowd tbh. 

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

if it was based on this forum about 3 people are turning up for billie eilish.

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

if you love hip hop and not feeling him by now then i dont think it will change any time soonl esepcially if you like RTJ and the social / polticial hip hop killer mike drops, im surprised you havent connected with kendrick. 

I suppose I like the intensity of RTJ, the beats, the aggression of their thoughts - even if I don't always agree with them, their music sounds awesome.

KL is more like a folk, story teller. Perhaps that's what it is. Anyway, I'm sure he'll be a big hit come his slot

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I suppose I like the intensity of RTJ, the beats, the aggression of their thoughts - even if I don't always agree with them, their music sounds awesome.

KL is more like a folk, story teller. Perhaps that's what it is. Anyway, I'm sure he'll be a big hit come his slot

for sure the beat selection of kenny is more introspective but i love that. at times on this album i feel like radiohead could be on production man, i fucking love it.  the most "RTJ" sounding album is Good kid maad city without a doubt.

I GRIEVE DIFFERENT

HUUUH

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

for sure the beat selection of kenny is more introspective but i love that. at times on this album i feel like radiohead could be on production man, i fucking love it.  the most "RTJ" sounding album is Good kid maad city without a doubt.

I GRIEVE DIFFERENT

HUUUH

Funny you should say that, my very first thought on my first listen was that  the beat on United in Grief sounded like Radiohead.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’ve always been a bit of a casual Kenny fan, didn’t really listen to much before Damn. Just been listening to his earlier albums, well he’s good isn’t he? 

Light years ahead of his contemporaries. 

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Wouldn’t say mad, boils down to what you sort of experience you want that night.

Kendrick will be great, no question, but for me it’ll be a solo mission and let’s be honest here it’ll be fairly chin strokey. Whereas PSB will be one massive party and my mates will be there for what will be the last main set of the weekend. If he were playing Friday or Saturday I’d care less about ditching the rest of my lot but there’s something about the final night that demands having your people around you.

Going to get a ticket for one of the O2 dates then see where the vibe takes me on the night I reckon.

I completely see this point of view, that Sunday night emotional state really can dictate things sometimes. 

Kenny on the Friday was always the dream for me but I'm hoping Lorde before (is this basically confirmed btw?) will get some of my mates there with me and then they'll hopefully stay. 

Purple Hearts could be a good opener actually. Listening through on headphones now, some of the beats on here go haaard.