Drop the deposit.

Matt42

I have to declare a couple of interests:  a) I got tickets this year but only thanks to a mate who had access to several computers and high speed broadband in his office.  b)  I can afford it and have been going on and off for the last 40+ years  c) I'm now an old fart and poor joints (of the spinal - not smokeable type) mean I caravan not camp.

The ticket system has evolved from the days when I remember queuing overnight at my local record shop to now all on-line.  However both systems were a lottery and always will be when demand exceeds supply many times over.

I think the present system is about as good as you can realistically hope for.  It's great for oldies like me to still be able to go but equally important that new faces get a chance.

The deposit system seems fair as it only requires a moderate initial outlay and then, if you are successful, you have the time to save up for the balance.

We've been unlucky for the last two years so it will be great to head back to the CV fields.  However I'd struggle to go back to camping, so I think there is a place for the CV Fields.  They're not the domain of the rich (though Worthy View might be considered another matter).  Many of the caravanners and campervanners have had to save for their vehicles, just like anything else.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Yassmin said:

I  don't agree with removing the deposit scheme but I agree that there is no need for the ganging up, it's like bullying in the school playground ffs. How old are some of you on here?

Yeah I agree. There's been a pretty unpleasant atmosphere to some of the threads lately and I see a lot of it directed at @Matt42 which just seems unnecessary. 

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

At the festival have you ever got the feeling that there are too many people there who aren't fussed?

I don’t exactly know how I could work that out / have never really thought about it while I’m there. What a weird question to ask.

What I can say is I have worked on the gates for two years and seen many people leaving early because it’s a “load of shit”.

Obviously it’s inevitable some will come to the festival and not enjoy themselves but I don’t know how I could answer that question without mind reading those around me?

It’s also completely irrelevant (again) to the main point.  

Edited by Matt42

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t exactly know how I could work that out / have never really thought about it while I’m there. What a weird question to ask.

What I can say is I have worked on the gates for two years and seen many people leaving early because it’s a “load of shit”.

Obviously it’s inevitable some will come to the festival and not enjoy themselves but I don’t know how I could answer that question without mind reading those around me?

It’s also completely irrelevant (again) to the main point.  

I just don't really think putting people with a casual interest in the festival off is a good idea. Sorry if this feels like a pile on. I mean you no ill will you care a lot, perhaps too much. Chin up you've got tickets. 

2 hours ago, Digi said:

Absolutely no interest in going by myself. Glastonbury is often the only time of the year I see some friends from one year to the next. 

We too have an absolute blast. The only difference being there is a group of 10 or so of us. We engage just fine. No one is more deserving because of how the choose to do their festival

I never said deserving, please read my message more carefully, my response was to someone who said that 6 was a "good" number to go with - a completely subjective thought.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Sorry if this feels like a pile on. I mean you no ill will you care a lot, perhaps too much. Chin up you've got tickets. 

An assumption that I have which no one will convince me otherwise, is that the festival is made by the attendance of people like on efestivals. Without a devout crowd glasto wouldn’t feel as special. I guess I just find it sad to see so many people miss out this year. Especially since I’ve been in that position a lot in past years. The arguments that loyalty is silly are completely valid but I do feel that without the regulars, Glastonbury wouldn’t be the same. 

I actually have a heart, which @LondonTom doesn’t believe. 

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I never said deserving, please read my message more carefully, my response was to someone who said that 6 was a "good" number to go with - a completely subjective thought.

Come on. You know quite well you suggested those in groups live in a bit of a bubble and don't engage during the festival as those who go by themselves 

Just now, Matt42 said:

An assumption that I have which no one will convince me otherwise, is that the festival is made by the attendance of people like on efestivals. Without a devout crowd glasto wouldn’t feel as special. I guess I just find it sad to see so many people miss out this year. Especially since I’ve been in that position a lot in past years. The arguments that loyalty is silly are completely valid but I do feel that without the regulars, Glastonbury wouldn’t be the same. 

We're a drop in the ocean and subject to  any number of biases and criteria that come from being forum users - more likely to be older, probably also more likely to be male, capable of keeping a thread for The National on the front page of the site over years since they completely fucked it at the festival.

We don't deserve tickets any more than anyone else.

The thing is about people who aren’t fussed about going is that was me once, and possibly quite a few of us.

One year me and my mates decided we’d try, I sat in bed with my girlfriend and casually half heartedly refreshed my phone while I watched TV. If I’d got through I’m not sure what I would’ve done as I didn't have our reg details easily to hand, but I could’ve got through and I would’ve loved it.

The next year I took it seriously and got tickets, I absolutely loved it and have been desperate to go every since.

If I’d never got the opportunity to go I would never have known that. Who is to say the people who aren’t that bothered wont be the same?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

And there will always be plenty of regulars who get tickets, you've got tickets I've got tickets loads of people on the forum have tickets. Yeah some miss out and that's shit but some people will always miss out. I just don't think there is a huge glut of people who aren't arsed that make the festival worse.

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If you've been going for 5 years+ and still don't have an in to the festival that doesn't involve buying a ticket, then you're probably not actually adding to the festival. As has been discussed, about half the people on site don't have tickets, they work, are guests etc. They're the "devout" crowd.

2 minutes ago, Digi said:

Come on. You know quite well you suggested those in groups live in a bit of a bubble and don't engage during the festival as those who go by themselves 

Original comment was about 6 being a good number - it's totally subjective. You might think 10 is fine. I think any number is fine. If you're dependant on 72 mates going to the festival and wouldn't enjoy it as much (in this theoretical example) then you might very well be in a bubble and need to break out a bit more. Deserving? Never said that, sorry, you can keep your virtue signalling, thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The thing is about people who aren’t fussed about going that was me once, and possibly quite a few of us.

One year me and my mates decided we’d try, I sat in bed with my girlfriend and casually half heartedly refreshed my phone while I watched TV. If I’d got through I’m not sure what I would’ve done as I don’t have our reg details easily to hand, but I could’ve got through and I would’ve loved it.

The next year I took it seriously and got tickets, I absolutely loved it and have been desperate to go every since.

If I’d never got the opportunity to go I would never have known that. Who is to say the people who aren’t that bothered wont be the same?

Exactly this! I went in 2010 after buying tickets in the resale purely to see U2 who then went on and cancelled anyhow. I bloody hate camping so wasn't too arsed but went and it blew my mind. 

We got tickets in our group today for a couple of newbies who you could probably say aren't that bothered. Yeah, they want to go and they registered and dragged their arses out of bed. They wouldn't have been that bothered if they hadn't got tickets. 

I'm betting next October they would be fucking devastated 

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If you've been going for 5 years+ and still don't have an in to the festival that doesn't involve buying a ticket, then you're probably not actually adding to the festival. As has been discussed, about half the people on site don't have tickets, they work, are guests etc. They're the "devout" crowd.

@Matt42 has worked it two out of five of those years, he says so above.

36 minutes ago, LondonTom said:

I'm in two minds on that, while it does encourage more richer people, it still has no effect on the base access to the site and makes more room for us anyone "slumming" it.

Worthy View is outside the fence though....

1 hour ago, ivan said:

Well they should pull the likes of Worthy View and just allow people with tents and in the CV fields.  £1000 for a yurt ? 

Worthy View generates a decent amount of money for GFL, which ultimately subsidises the price of the ticket. if you pull it, then the price goes up, which really defeats the purpose.

if anything, you should be calling for more Worthy View options, as the more of them, the cheaper Glastonbury is for general campers. Given how fast they sell out, and how they're environmentally friendly, if GFL had the physical space up there, I'd imagine they would definitely put more in.

42 minutes ago, mcshed said:

At the festival have you ever got the feeling that there are too many people there who aren't fussed?

Loads, but you can't really do anything about that.

40 minutes ago, Yassmin said:

I  don't agree with removing the deposit scheme but I agree that there is no need for the ganging up, it's like bullying in the school playground ffs. How old are some of you on here?

If you deliberately start a  thread, where you know lots of people are going to start disagree with your opinion, is still a pile on?

37 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Matt 42 is a great poster. love him. much better than the likes of London Tom

Rude :(

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don't think I said you didn't have a heart? I just don't think you've thought about it from other people in worse situations than yourself.

I don't see what the devout has to do with it, part of the charm of Glastonbury is the mix of people you get. It would be shit if it was just the devout every year (Who would eventually die out anyway as new blood struggled to get in.)

32 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I'd say without the amazement and wonder of the newbies (IMO first and second timers), Glasto wouldn't be as fun...

I go and talk to people who have been to 10+ and new comers alike and they both add to the mix in their own ways.

You keep the same people, things get old. Widen the gene pool.

1 hour ago, ivan said:

No I think people desperate to go would somehow beg , borrow or steal 

It doesn’t work like that. This is a terrible idea and one that would damage the festivals reputation while narrowing the demographic of those attending.

Disagree - unforeseen events can happen, break ups, pregnancies, deaths even, job losses, health issues, moving house etc. A big commitment to ask of people that far in advance for the full whack, and not everyone has the financial ability to lump up for 6 full price tickets