worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Benja100 said:

I’m not a DJ- I just don’t believe in denigrating something because I don’t know much about it. I wouldn’t describe golf as walking around hitting a ball. It’s antagonistic.
If DJing is so easy, have a go yourself and see if you have the talent and commitment to earn $50m a year like Calvin Harris. Should be a breeze if it’s so easy.

You don't know much about me, but you're quite prepared to denigrate my postings on here. Antagonistic much? Hypocritical troll alert everybody? Very much!

I notice you didn't attempt to answer any of the questions I asked. Just lectured me on how you hope I'd not behave with the police (wtf has that got to with anything?), and, basically, what you think people should or shouldn't be able to do or say. "Ooh. But Iiii wouldn't do this". Well bully for you, little Lord holier than thou Snooty. Condescending much?

And golf is walking around hitting a ball (shrugs). Why not describe it as such? How is stating an unrefutable truth antagonistic?

What's denigrating about pointing out the fact that the people in question were, quite literally, playing records? With a thumping bassline? At a hugely innappropriate place and time, ruining the sound in a big part of the main venue? Well, I say playing records. They may well have had everything already premixed on a USB stick and ready to go these days to be fair.

If punters want to pay £50m a year to watch people playing other peoples tunes (which, be honest, is generally a huge/the main part of what a "DJ" is doing), rather than watch bands play their own instruments these days, then I can't really stop them. Calvin Harris does his own tunes as well though, doesn't he? So not really comparing like with like there are you.

And therein may lie the rub. A lot of acts that use the moniker "DJ" these days are more like super whizzo studio boffins and sequence software programmer types, and put out banging original tunes of their own. (I'm thinking the likes of The Chems, The aforementioned Harris, Mark Ronson, etc...), but then I wouldn't know much about that would I apparently. Because you can somehow magically deduce how much knowledge I possess on any particular subject from a couple of sentences I've posted on here.

But ho hum. I'm probably just wasting my time trying to have a reasonable debate here, as there's just no reasoning with unreasonable people.

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

The wind speed and direction can make things seem louder than intended in the wrong place.

It's a good job you hadn't paid £300 for a ticket or you'd have really got angry!

And no, DJing is not 'just' playing other peoples tunes.  That comment alone says it's not your thing.

Now that's a really good point about the wind.

Fair comment about the ticket also, though it doesn't detract one jot from the point in question (and do you realise that some people actually pay to get work there? Only heard about that myself in about the last month or so).

I'm not sure if I'd have been angrier as a punter though. I'd have got to see a lot more stuff and this probably wouldn't have felt and stood out as such a major bummer. As a volunteer you only get so much time off and there wasn't really that much I was honestly interested in during said time for me this year, and I found it really hard to decide on anything. Decided on LG and then, well, you know the rest...

I was also already angry about having sleep deprivation, the heat and working in a swamp.

Heck. I don't even like LG that much :) He's a bit of a twonker imo. I much, much prefer his brother. Only really went for the Oasis nostalgia vibe if I'm honest. Saw him support The Stones in '18 and was surpised at how much I got into those old tunes.

I know that DJing is not just playing other peoples tunes (see previous post). That's why I tried very specifically not to use the word "just" (I may have failed there, and I think people may "just" imply that the word is there anyway). I do love how much that phrase appears to rile certain people up so much though ;).

And. In my defence, the bar I worked in was hours a shift of cheesy DJs (can you guess which bar?) I swear to god they all had almost the exact same set list (if I heard Livin' On A Prayer one more time for about the week after the festival I might have had to kill someone). Most of them really weren't doing much more than playing one tune and fading the next one in. Oh and looking like they were really concentrating whilst doing so (I'm joking, I'm joking, (but only about the concentrating part)). I really had had my fill of them that weekend.

Again, I never said it wasn't my thing (I'd love to learn how to do it well. I used to have a right thing for musical technology in the late '80s, then I got skint and just didn't keep up). Just that it has a time and a place. And that (LG) wasn't and isn't it.

I think I've made my point now.

Sound Bleed At Pyramid = Bad Thing.

On 10/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, eFestivals said:

Happy Mondays, early 90s.

They played in either 98, 99 or 00 as well, i'm a fan and they were totally awful. Watch the footage on Youtube, Shaun was totally mashed.

I must have a lower threshold than most, a load of the sets mentioned on here I thought were really good!

for me paul simon headlining the Pyramid a few years back, was hot as hell and didn't play ONE Simon and Garfunkel Track -  could of had the crowd in is hands.  Played a lot of later stuff that was just meh to me and mine.  Don't give flying F if you liked it, if your a big player you gotta play some of your biggest tunes eh.

No one in their right mind is going to wade through all that waffle I’m afraid. I would but unfortunately I have a recently painted wall to watch drying. Thanks. 

Mate, comments like this don't strengthen your argument. They just make you look a bit of a douchebag.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Heck. I don't even like LG that much :) He's a bit of a twonker imo. I much, much prefer his brother.

^^ this bit made me laugh. 

Should have gone to see the DJ instead.

What bar was you working in, out of interest?

Hopefully you'll get better shifts this time round.

10 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I’m not a DJ- I just don’t believe in denigrating something because I don’t know much about it. I wouldn’t describe golf as walking around hitting a ball. It’s antagonistic.
If DJing is so easy, have a go yourself and see if you have the talent and commitment to earn $50m a year like Calvin Harris. Should be a breeze if it’s so easy.

far easier to sound half decent with minimal effort for loads of DJ’s tho, whilst there might be some earning their £££, you can’t blag it playing in a live band

Thanks ‘mate’ what part of USA are you from

Not really bothered in continuing the wonderful ‘argument’ with this very highly strung and odd individual but thanks for the tip

I'll rephrase what Hugh said. It makes you come across like an asshole! 

While Mr Zigster may come across like an odd individual to you, he's actually quite lovely in person and maybe you could try reining it in a bit and trying to add to the discussion rather than the insults. 

This forum sometimes. Jesus. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Benja100 said:

No one in their right mind is going to wade through all that waffle I’m afraid. I would but unfortunately I have a recently painted wall to watch drying. Thanks.

Translation:

I was r/MurderedByWords.

8 hours ago, ya_concha said:

for me paul simon headlining the Pyramid a few years back, was hot as hell and didn't play ONE Simon and Garfunkel Track -  could of had the crowd in is hands.  Played a lot of later stuff that was just meh to me and mine.  Don't give flying F if you liked it, if your a big player you gotta play some of your biggest tunes eh.

What spoiled that set for me was my expectations possibly?

I also wanted S&G tunes, but with hindsight it was never billed as an S&G gig. We got a huge amount of Paul Simon though. Despite his cold.

Just googled this:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/paul-simon/2011/worthy-farm-pilton-england-7bd37e9c.html

C'mon?

I felt sure he'd played Late In The Evening

What spoiled it for me was the unexpecedt Picnic Blanket Maze Sunday Crowd thing. Now regular. First time for me that kind of Sunday.

8 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

He was definitely shagging garfunkel like wasn't he?

Cue Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard earworm.

8 hours ago, stuie said:

^^ this bit made me laugh.

Should have gone to see the DJ instead.

What bar was you working in, out of interest?

Hopefully you'll get better shifts this time round.

Aww. I wanted people to guess the bar. I gave a clue. At least guess the field.

It wasn't the shifts that were the issue. I was quite prepared for that.

I've a ticket for next year..

7 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Thanks ‘mate’ what part of USA are you from

Not really bothered in continuing the wonderful ‘argument’ with this very highly strung and odd individual but thanks for the tip

Again.

5 hours ago, jow95 said:

far easier to sound half decent with minimal effort for loads of DJ’s tho, whilst there might be some earning their £££, you can’t blag it playing in a live band

Kind of my point. Succintely put. Wish I could summarise things that well.

The "Just playing records" jibe was a relevant joke in the early days of Hip-Hop. Synching two analogue decks at that time was way more difficult than the software assisted dual CD/USB/MP3 tech you can get now though,

4 hours ago, Benja100 said:

All live bands are comprised of individuals of incredible talent making universally loved music

Now you're possibly getting it. The relevant word is live.

4 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Thanks but I was being sarcastic I did know that, sorry you missed it

Back into the fold then you are. It was us that missed the sarcasm. Sorry.

Come to the eFests meet. We'll have a giggle.

6 hours ago, H.M.V said:

While Mr Zigster may come across like an odd individual to you, he's actually quite lovely in person

Thank you so much for that and right back at you. Not that you're odd or anything. Just the lovely bit.

Some well trusted freinds of mine have said that I can come across like a Daily Mail journalist in print.

I could do with working on that.

9 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I've a ticket for next year..

I can't think of a bar that cheesy!

I'd guess The Park / Stonebridge and you just got unlucky with the DJ's?

On 10/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, charlie200620 said:

The Cribs, Other Stage (2015 I think). Rubbish mate, don't even know why I was there.

To be fair, they're just a pants band though

I loved the Cribs in 2015, was a proper good way to get the day going for me!

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

The new BrewBar tent near Leftfield?

EDIT - or based on the fact you mentioned field one of the ones at William's Green?

Edited by waltere

16 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Thank you so much for that and right back at you. Not that you're odd or anything. Just the lovely bit.

Some well trusted freinds of mine have said that I can come across like a Daily Mail journalist in print.

I could do with working on that.

I wasn't calling you an odd person, i was highlighting the fact you're lovely as we have met a couple of times at the ridge and furrow. ?

Not sure why you downvoted me but I believe you do that by mistake sometimes. One of your lovely quirks. ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/21/2019 at 5:36 PM, zeppelin said:

Ah man that Bruce set, it's like we're opposites. I was right at the front and loved every second of it! 

yep, my selfish view up in being right at the front and not taking consideration how the rest of the field was taking it, is that it - along with the Stones 4 yrs later - were probably the best 2-plus hours each that I've had at Glastonbury 

On 10/23/2019 at 1:46 AM, reflekting said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Primal Scream before the Stones in 2013 was dreadful. So disappointed considering the rave reviews from their Other Stage headline set 2 years prior. 

On 10/23/2019 at 4:01 AM, Familiar2billions said:

I remember me and my mates were so up for that, pretty much the ideal sub for The Rolling Stones. Therefore it was an utter disappointment when it became apparent that Bobby Gillespie would have rather been anywhere but Worthy Farm. I'm fairly sure Mani had departed for The Stone Roses reunion by that point too. 

On 10/23/2019 at 10:02 PM, MrZigster said:

Can't say I noticed. I was so ecstatic to get about ten rows from the front for The Stones that you could have put the worst act in the world on and I don't think I'd have noticed.

the fact we had 2 past Pyramid headliners in Costello and Primal Scream before the Stones made for a memorable late afternoon, and being in the first few rows for most of that made it moot if the Primals weren't at their best. I thought from "Loaded" to the end of set they finished strongly