worst ever festival sets

Crazyfool01

Black Eyed Peas at West Holts 2009.

Left Blur after a couple of tracks in as I had a ticket to see them at Hyde Park the next weekend and didn't want to spoil it. I also regretted not having seen BEP on the Pyramid earlier in their career. Thought they were a proper hot band then, (Elephunk was a cracking album). By '09 they'd become more of a dj/karaoke and dance act. Will.I.Am seemed to think he was in London, and also that people were more cut up about Jacko dying than they actually were. Blur put on The Gig Of The Decade of course.

Springsteen is the first time I can remember deliberately leaving a headliner. The reason? The first time I'd really got really pissed off at not being able to see a thing because of the amount of bloody flags.

As others have pointed out earlier, these werent necessarily bad sets. Possibly just a couple of "Well, I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would/Fuck me. I missed that for those", experiences.

I thought Blondie were cracking. Grew up loving them and never thought I'd get to see them. Proper bucket list tick off that one. They may well have been musically dire. I was possibly just lost in the moment.

9 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

walked through the field while Blossoms were on the Pyramid playing that dirge of an acoustic tune where they take a name from the audience and make it about them. truly miserable stuff, they should not have been let near the place.

Aaaaand...

You've just reminded me of walking through the field while Florence & The Machine were murdering The Chain. (Edit: This was before they replaced The Foos).

Bleeaurgh.

Have to say she did a great job supporting The Stones the last time I saw her though.

Edited by MrZigster

I was really looking forward to Liam, but it was totally ruined for me by the atrocious sound bleed from whatever generic DJ act was playing in The Village Green at the time (Well, I say playing. They were just "putting records on" really).

In fact the noise from that place completely wrote off standing near a huge corner of The Pyramid field for many acts this year. And not just any corner, but Cider Bus corner. They really need to sort that out. Nobody is heading for that area to listen to generic DJ bass thump tosh are they? Honestly, I tried to get away from it but you could still hear (and feel) it from almost the middle of the field. I had a shift to get to later so couldn't really venture any further away. I'm still angry and can't believe they allow it. This is the main stage ffs! Can any stall now have a DJ at whatever time and volume they like?

• Downvote 2

I don't think this one has been mentioned, but I had high hopes for Cat Power on The Park in 2013 but remember it being very disappointing. 

I have since read that she suffers from stage fright, so had put it down to that.

I saw she was booked again this year (I didn't risk it this time) - did anyone go to either of these? Am I misremembering / was she better this year?

1 hour ago, Fish Bulb said:

I don't think this one has been mentioned, but I had high hopes for Cat Power on The Park in 2013 but remember it being very disappointing. 

I have since read that she suffers from stage fright, so had put it down to that.

I saw she was booked again this year (I didn't risk it this time) - did anyone go to either of these? Am I misremembering / was she better this year?

Add me to the list of underwhelmed people in 2013.

12 hours ago, Benja100 said:

Can’t get my head around this we were in the mixer and it was close enough to being at an Oasis gig. Loved it. I’d question the objectivity of judging  it from your tent in my humble opinion. 

You’re right. I did watch it when I got home, and it sounded better at the tent. 

I heard bits of other acts whilst back at the tent and none of them sounded that bad.  

15 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

I'm a Springsteen fan generally and have seen some stunning shows but I have to admit that his Glasto appearance was a disappointment.  It was as though he 'didn't get' Glastonbury.  I'd be happy to see him return if better briefed.

I think he didn't entirely get festivals to be honest. He seemed to have been briefed almost too much if anything - opening with Coma Girl for example was a great gesture but one that 99% didn't get the reference too.

Enjoyed it a lot but I have seen him a lot better since (including at IOW where he understood the festival vibe)

42 minutes ago, Benja100 said:

You do sound very angry about this I have to say. Would it not be possible to walk for just a minute or two and avoid the soundclash. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it.

Also don’t agree with your denigration of DJing. Might as well refer to all bands as ‘blokes strumming a guitar and singing’ or something equally inane. It might not be your thing and you clearly don’t understand it but no need to slate it.

All for the sake of walking for a minute or two and you’re still angry now? 

Very silly if you ask me. 

And that's a very silly response if you ask me.

As you're so offended, I'm going to guess that you're a DJ?

Did you read all of the words? I had a shift to get to, so couldn't realistically head deeper into the packed field (though I would argue that you can't really get much deeper than "almost the middle of the field"). I suppose I could have gone right to the other side? (But doing so would have made me late for my shift, and, should everyone have to move to the other side of the field to avoid said bass thump?).

And what don't I understand about DJing? It's playing other peoples tunes isn't it? I never stated it wasn't my thing. Just pointed out that I felt that this was the wrong time and place, and, in this instance it was the stereotypical bass thump that was the issue. You couldn't avoid it from even a decent distance away.

If I'm paying close to £300 for a ticket, I expect to be able to hear the acts on the main stage when I am at the main stage. In practically the middle of the field. Not have acts ruined (and I mean ruined) by some selfishly overloud gits in a side venue. What's so silly about that?

The Cider Bus corner was always a great chilled out spot to watch acts on The Pyramid from. I'm pretty sure I've never noticed this problem there previously, or I wouldn't have spent so much time there watching bands over the years. Does anyone know if acts playing at The Village Green during sets on The Pyramid is a new thing or not? Certainly never at the volume I am moaning about.

I think it's inappropriate to have such sound bleeding through so close to the front of the main stage. I mean it's a bad enough problem in a lot of the other areas. Never thought it would become an issue at The Pyramid, but it did.

Gorillaz weren’t bad in 2010, just... a bit boring.

Mate suggested we go to the Cider Bus & watch FLIPS on Other. Great decision. Think we saw Sasha after on The Glade too when it was right next to the Other stage as we walked in from that way after stopping at Chai Wallahs.

edit: never noticed sound bleed at the Cider Bus but it’s just one of those places between stuff.

Edited by Bisque

3 hours ago, Bisque said:

edit: never noticed sound bleed at the Cider Bus but it’s just one of those places between stuff.

Not to me it's not. It's always been one of my favourite spots to hang out at. Also have very, very fond memories of the old eFests meets there (well, I say old. My first was '10 (possibly)).

Get a Hot'n'Spicy and then sit on a bench and listen to whoever's on, or head a few feet through the hedge and you're on the edge of the path and can watch and listen.

Then you can choose to either dive in, or, if it doesn't float your boat, it's a good spot for heading off elsewhere (to keep this post on thread, I left there from Gorillaz for instance, though a colleague of mine swore it was one of the best things he'd seen that year (he was really into Plastic Beach at the time)).

I can distinctly remember watching (and listening to, that's the crucial part) the start of Blur from the hedge there in '09. You just couldn't really hear LG from there this year. Nor from well further in.

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Primal Scream before the Stones in 2013 was dreadful. So disappointed considering the rave reviews from their Other Stage headline set 2 years prior. 

I remember me and my mates were so up for that, pretty much the ideal sub for The Rolling Stones. Therefore it was an utter disappointment when it became apparent that Bobby Gillespie would have rather been anywhere but Worthy Farm. I'm fairly sure Mani had departed for The Stone Roses reunion by that point too. 

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Not to me it's not. It's always been one of my favourite spots to hang out at. Also have very, very fond memories of the old eFests meets there (well, I say old. My first was '10 (possibly)).

Get a Hot'n'Spicy and then sit on a bench and listen to whoever's on, or head a few feet through the hedge and you're on the edge of the path and can watch and listen.

Then you can choose to either dive in, or, if it doesn't float your boat, it's a good spot for heading off elsewhere

Agree, the Cider Bus was the first place my friends took me on my first Glasto as we were camped ‘on’ Kidney Mead before heading to Brothers Bar & it is a great place to be. All my recollection of it though is being so noisey with everyone there milling about.

Certainly a great way to join a Pyramid set on a whim.

Edited by Bisque
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, reflekting said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Primal Scream before the Stones in 2013 was dreadful. So disappointed considering the rave reviews from their Other Stage headline set 2 years prior. 

Can't say I noticed. I was so ecstatic to get about ten rows from the front for The Stones that you could have put the worst act in the world on and I don't think I'd have noticed.

7 hours ago, Quark said:

You wound him up with a pissy response, what did you expect?

Quite. How to incur the wrath of a DJ? Suggest that they are "just putting records on" ? ??. Seriously though, I was well sleep deprived at that point this year. Pretty much everything was pissing me off. I'd slept through Janet Jackson. Think I may have been flashing back recently ;). I stand by my statement that you should be able to hear acts playing on The Pyramid Stage from the Pyramid Field. FFS what's so wrong with that opinion that I get a pissy response and two downvotes (oh, possibly the "just putting records on" comment maybe. PMSL).

2 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Oasis headlining in 2004 is often cited as a major disappointment. But I loved it. And I don’t normally enjoy anything at the pyramid. And I’m not a big oasis fan either 

I also enjoyed myself at that. My main memory of it though is getting too close to the front for the start, forgetting I was nearly 40 and really unfit, and thinking I was going to die in the crush when they came on ('04 was the last year without the crush barrier iirc). ME sat next to me in The Astrolabe the day after. To say he was quite cross with their performance would be an understatement.

Edited by MrZigster

6 hours ago, MrZigster said:

('04 was the last year without the crush barrier iirc).

the barrier came in 2007 when the capacity increased I think?, so I think 05 was the last year without.

regardless, moshed from right at the back to the front from Oasis too! (Blind drunk, thought it was brilliant. Heard it back, thought it was awful).

2 hours ago, Benja100 said:

I’m not a DJ- I just don’t believe in denigrating something because I don’t know much about it. I wouldn’t describe golf as walking around hitting a ball. It’s antagonistic.
If DJing is so easy, have a go yourself and see if you have the talent and commitment to earn $50m a year like Calvin Harris. Should be a breeze if it’s so easy.

I feel like you've been getting a bit of a bad rap here, dude ? 

The DJ vs Live music debate never ends well.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, MrZigster said:

And that's a very silly response if you ask me.

As you're so offended, I'm going to guess that you're a DJ?

Did you read all of the words? I had a shift to get to, so couldn't realistically head deeper into the packed field (though I would argue that you can't really get much deeper than "almost the middle of the field"). I suppose I could have gone right to the other side? (But doing so would have made me late for my shift, and, should everyone have to move to the other side of the field to avoid said bass thump?).

And what don't I understand about DJing? It's playing other peoples tunes isn't it? I never stated it wasn't my thing. Just pointed out that I felt that this was the wrong time and place, and, in this instance it was the stereotypical bass thump that was the issue. You couldn't avoid it from even a decent distance away.

If I'm paying close to £300 for a ticket, I expect to be able to hear the acts on the main stage when I am at the main stage. In practically the middle of the field. Not have acts ruined (and I mean ruined) by some selfishly overloud gits in a side venue. What's so silly about that?

The Cider Bus corner was always a great chilled out spot to watch acts on The Pyramid from. I'm pretty sure I've never noticed this problem there previously, or I wouldn't have spent so much time there watching bands over the years. Does anyone know if acts playing at The Village Green during sets on The Pyramid is a new thing or not? Certainly never at the volume I am moaning about.

I think it's inappropriate to have such sound bleeding through so close to the front of the main stage. I mean it's a bad enough problem in a lot of the other areas. Never thought it would become an issue at The Pyramid, but it did.

The wind speed and direction can make things seem louder than intended in the wrong place.

It's a good job you hadn't paid £300 for a ticket or you'd have really got angry!  

And no, DJing is not 'just' playing other peoples tunes.  That comment alone says it's not your thing.