1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

Check out The Glade Lounge line up when the full line up drops. I’m fingers crossed for a full on trance night (well, until 0300h anyway!!) on the Thursday night. If they programme the trance acts they have kindly for me it could be an amazing lead into the Fri-Sun proper. 

Ben

Ooh sounds promising, which names should I look out for?

53 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sorry about some of the more elliptical sentences or odd references, knocked out the recommendation post at velocity. Happy to expand further if anyone is intrigued but baffled by chunks of it.

It might not be full of megastars but that to me is a really sharp line-up, packed with variety and all around a strong keyhole into the white-hot fringes of underground electronic music.

The shorthand is: we're in good hands.

Yes please, it was a pleasure to read even if I was out of my depth.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Bold

52 minutes ago, bigbilly said:

Yup. Fully agreed. They could fill this with the tech house and big room techno DJs but where's the originality in that

They have Silver Hayes and The Common for that. I was hoping for Haai once Daniel Avery was announced. I've promised myself I'm gonna try and get into NYC Downlow this year. I was hoping for Dimitri From Paris to appear somewhere but I guess it's not happening. Plenty here for me to discover though. Ecited for Larry Heard on IICON

Edited by Madyaker
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Anyone who was into boshy, breakbeat-heavy techno or early jungle in the good ol' days will find a lot to love at the moment, on IICON in particular. 2 Bad Mice, Acen, Xpansions and Moving Shadow type warpers are getting thrown in and out of Batu, Zenker Brothers, Hodge, Stenny, Lee Gamble and Laurel Halo sets with freedom. It'll be the same for Eris Drew in the Temple, too.

Techno feels refreshingly un-linear and off the grid currently. It's good stuff.

Breaks are back, baby.

Thank you - this context is spot on and dead helpful

47 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Tristan (he's the main one to aim for, I'd say)
Regan
Aliji
Liquid Ross

All pretty decent trance. I really need a trance night on the Farm!

:)

Ben

Thanks for this, much appreciated

1 hour ago, Ddiamondd said:

Sorry about some of the more elliptical sentences or odd references, knocked out the recommendation post at velocity. Happy to expand further if anyone is intrigued but baffled by chunks of it..

Not at all! Hugely appreciated and if we don’t know about this stuff and are on an electronic music thread of a festivals forum it’s because we want to learn more.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ddiamondd said:

Okay let do my best here to tip some folks wise:

Genosys – major doof with a twist

HAAi is the new superstar of the Daniel Avery / Andrew Weatherall / Erol Alkan world. Trippy, rock-informed techno. She will level the place. Same too Anthony Parasole and Randomer. Massive warehouse bangers with a hint of trance uplift. Here's a good starter on HAAi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFDS6bdb8w

Honcho is the best gay party in America, Leeon is a resident of Bogota's Video Club, Partok is the biggest name to come from Tel Aviv's The Block, Dan Beaumont runs Chapter 10, Roi Perez is a current poster boy of Panoramabar and Siren are a young collective running great pro-femme underground raves in London.

You're basically getting the cutting edge of queer techno in the open air, in spaces which used to be for the veterans of Detroit and Chicago, which is a bold and great move imho.

IICON – big league experimental electronics under a ridiculous conceptual structure best seen to be believed

Batu and the Zenker Brothers are behind two of the hottest labels going (Timedance and Ilian Tape respectively), absolutely phenomenal DJs blending all aspects of broken techno, garage, dubstep, breakbeat, whatever. Bruce, Hodge and Stenny will play similarly but this, from Batu, is best go-to: https://soundcloud.com/dkmntl/batu-at-dekmantel-selectors-2018

Moor Mother is like an Afrofuturist Kate Tempest. This lecture is fascinating stuff and her performances are pretty astounding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPWi2wJELh4

L-Vis 1990, Kode9, Manthe Ribane, Demdike Stare, Lee Gamble will all fall into sounds of the UK underground that used to fill the actual London Underground, envoys of Hyperdub, DDS and Night Slugs. Don't miss the small-font Hessle Audio, which is Ben UFO, Pearson Sound and Pangaea.

Musically, the stage is largely a monument to the "continuum" of jungle, dubstep, soundscapes, rave etc.

NYC Downlow & Meat Rack queer mania

Legend O'Clock: Mr Fingers will be the deeper version of Larry Heard, I expect. Add him to Tony Humphries (Club Zanzibar in New Jersey, think Ron Trent level thick, disco-y house and you're there) and Erick Morillo (tribal king of NYC and Ibiza) and you've got a mega trio.

The Black Madonna people probably know, this time b2b with Garrett David, who's a resident at Queen! in Chicago's Smartbar and releases on Lobster Theremin too. They will be great fun. Same too Midland and Gideön, they know the territory intimately.

Sweely is one for the minimal lovers, quite like Traumer or Margaret Dygas. Interesting pick for there. Mexican Jihad also interesting, part of the NAAFI label, eclectic bass stuff.

Wes Baggaley, Dan Shake, Trouble Vision et al carry this on in the Meat Rack, which is even more sordid. Dan was very good fun last time, played a lot of Brazilian edits which had sweat dripping.

Hope that helps

Very new to the world of Techno, have no idea about the who’s who, etc, but this HAAi boiler room set is absolutely gorgeous. 

My group have no interest so I’ll be going solo but she is now a must see!

Also liking what I hear of Randomer.

I think I need that bit of “uplift” as you put it. 

Who else would fit the bill, d’ya think?

(eternally grateful for sharing all these insights / knowledge. For someone who knows nothing, it’s such a great introduction to a scene I’d like to explore more of)

15 minutes ago, Eyebrow said:

Very new to the world of Techno, have no idea about the who’s who, etc, but this HAAi boiler room set is absolutely gorgeous. 

My group have no interest so I’ll be going solo but she is now a must see!

Also liking what I hear of Randomer.

I think I need that bit of “uplift” as you put it. 

Who else would fit the bill, d’ya think?

(eternally grateful for sharing all these insights / knowledge. For someone who knows nothing, it’s such a great introduction to a scene I’d like to explore more of)

If you like Haai then Midland is your man too. 

9 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yep, Midland in the NYCDL, Wes Baggaley in the Meat Rack and Dan Beaumont on Genosys should get that "uplift" in your techno gruel. 

Away from Block9, it sounds like you could be into Four Tet on Arcadia, the (rumoured, not yet confirmed) Avalon Emerson set in Beat Hotel – and probably quite a lot of Beat Hotel picks to come tbh – Eris Drew in the Temple (check her RA mix), and Peach (Thursday at Stonebridge / Sunday in Silver Hayes), whose set here is seemingly a dyed in the wool fav in the Electronica thread: 

Four Tet is definitely on the list. 

I watched the Peach set due to the prior recommendation and loved it so that’s another great shout. 

Also got a tip off about Paranoid London which was quality.

I love Drone Logic so would like to see Avery given the chance.

I’ll check out Midland, Avalon Emerson and the rest you’ve all recommended if I can tear myself away from this HAAi set...

52 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

He’s playing the Clash stage in Shangri La, and presumably somewhere else too, has Sat & Sun listed in his tour dates.

Cheers mate. I think I seen him on the Clash stage last time. Is that the one which is like a ship?