Pangea

tumbles

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

Cranes dangling anything remotely heavy over a crowd is generally a huge no no in terms of health and safety, they won't get a license for it.

Depends on the cranes rating, it’s an old dock yard crane so let’s say it’s a got a working limit of 40 ton. If it’s holding a 200kg ball over the crowd it’s probably going to be okay with a safer factor of 200...

Arcadia had stuff dangling over people, just have to justify the safety case. 

It isn't a crane any more though is it?  It looks like they're just using the supporting frame (without the boom) as the main structure for something else.  I don't know anything about the stability of those Radome things, but they seem to sit out in the wind and weather for decades without falling apart.  So presumably it would be possible to assemble one around a sufficiently sold structure without too much risk of it collapsing on the crowd below.  Plus, if Pangea is a big installation with fire etc, there may well be loads of stuff around the base which will form a safe perimeter keeping the crowds out from underneath the Radome.

I reckon it's going to be a big projection show inside the Radome.  If you look at the website of the company that are behind it, they've done loads of projection stuff before.

2 hours ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

It isn't a crane any more though is it?  It looks like they're just using the supporting frame (without the boom) as the main structure for something else.  I don't know anything about the stability of those Radome things, but they seem to sit out in the wind and weather for decades without falling apart.  So presumably it would be possible to assemble one around a sufficiently sold structure without too much risk of it collapsing on the crowd below.  Plus, if Pangea is a big installation with fire etc, there may well be loads of stuff around the base which will form a safe perimeter keeping the crowds out from underneath the Radome.

I reckon it's going to be a big projection show inside the Radome.  If you look at the website of the company that are behind it, they've done loads of projection stuff before.

I think you’re spot on... won’t be on the boom - too risky over thousands of people.  As much as I’d love to see the radome doing a 360 above the crowd it’s not gonna get signed off. 

So... internal projection from top of structure with djs underneath... maybe the boom will still operate with performers on it? 

Edited by stuie

7 hours ago, kalifire said:

I'm sure she's usually better than that, but if I happened to glance up to the DJ area at 2m20s, I wouldn't have much confidence she had any earthly clue what she was doing.

She's just got up there and she looks to me like the set-up is not what she had asked for. It's a few moments in one set. Maybe she was sick, maybe her dog died. Maybe she isn't the best DJ in the world. We all know, so many DJs are hyped beyond their true skills. But there's an interesting level of glee from people jumping on this thread, wanting to pick her performance apart. Like everything else at Glastonbury, go somewhere else, if you don't like it. She is one booking and she is also really loved by the community who are represented by NYC Downlow. 

Edited by ravermum
Just realised this is Pangea thread, but she's also playing Downlow and you know what I'm trying to say here
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Cranes dangling anything remotely heavy over a crowd is generally a huge no no in terms of health and safety, they won't get a license for it.

One of the many apocryphal KLF stories is that they wanted to do a set at Glastonbury whilst suspended via Chinook helicopter above the Pyramid crowd. Needless to say this didn't come to pass. 

So as just discussed on Lauren Laverne show

No show this year

5 year plan

Show in the sky eventually

The crane stays on site! 

As already knowledge asking for punters to put forward beat ideas on how it can evolve

Edited by bigbilly

7 hours ago, stuie said:

I think you’re spot on... won’t be on the boom - too risky over thousands of people.  As much as I’d love to see the radome doing a 360 above the crowd it’s not gonna get signed off. 

So... internal projection from top of structure with djs underneath... maybe the boom will still operate with performers on it? 

Looking at the circle on the map I wonder if the radome will attach over the crane.  I guess they could make that stable enough and it may rotate on the crane structure?  

No idea what the outer circle and dots are though, or those comments about dinosaur/insect?

I did wonder why they haven't painted the crane and I suppose if it ends up hidden under stuff that answers that.

Probably completely wrong - looking forward to seeing what they do.  They have a busy 4 weeks!

22 minutes ago, ravermum said:

This comes out just before my birthday so I'm adding it to my list ? - thank you

Ah nice one! Really looking forward to it, loved the John Higgs biography of the lads. You might be interested in the recent Jimmy Cauty 'cookbook' he published, The Advanced Acoustic Armaments Cookbook 1994-1997, which details some of his projects in the K-Foundation. I got the Limited Edition when it came out, which featured a gorgeous etched cardboard wrap-around cover of one of his tanks. It's signed on the inside - in chalk! Because of course it is. ?

https://l-13.org/product/jimmy-cauty-aaa-cookbook-regular-edition/

10 hours ago, rubick said:

One of the many apocryphal KLF stories is that they wanted to do a set at Glastonbury whilst suspended via Chinook helicopter above the Pyramid crowd. Needless to say this didn't come to pass. 

Health and safety aside, all the entire crowd would have been able to hear is the Chinook, they are loud AF

10 hours ago, rubick said:

Health and safety gone mad innit? Bet it was Brussels :ninja:

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, Old_Johno said:

Health and safety aside, all the entire crowd would have been able to hear is the Chinook, they are loud AF

Indeed, growing up in Northern Ireland throughout the 80s I've heard seen many a passing Chinook. Saw one at the Ulster Air Show in the early 90s that did a massive 'U'-shaped maneouver, hovering on its axis at either end. Not the first aircraft that you associate with such aerobatics but impressive all the same. 

8 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I reckon the radome is gonna hang from the crane as a mahoosive glitter ball rotating around and above the masses.... the mother of all glitter balls!

Or maybe not, but I hope so as that would be awesome!?

Yeah, I said this would be awesome but apparently boring old health and safety says people aren't allowed under loaded crane arms!

We'll have to wait and see!

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

my guess* is that it'll be lasers lights and fire and not much more this year.

* might not be a guess. :P 

so its finished then ? :) just a few spotlights from the local school to add along with the dj having a couple of laser pens :)