Glasto hacks 2.0

Jne___

52 minutes ago, Quark said:

Prior to the fest let several loo rolls run down about halfway ish and take those with you. Much easier to flatten and carry half a loo roll in a day bag than it is a full one.

And put it in a ziplock bag in case it rains/your water bottle leaks/someone spills a pint over your bag etc.

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Rather than using baby wipes for cleansing bring a flannel and small camping stove.  Gives you a refreshing hot water wash .  

I do this - along with a collapsible bowl (about £3 in go outdoors atm).  Nice clean wash every morning makes the world of difference. 

Take an alarm clock with you. Means you can stash your phone in the lock ups or somewhere safe in your tent without relying on it to wake you up. Can also switch it off to save battery.

If, like me, you're a massive snorer, take a load of cheap earplugs and hang them in a plastic bag on the guy ropes to your tent.

• Upvote 1

Always buy a newspaper from the Guardian stand. Useful for spreading on the ground to sit on, mopping up any leaks inside your tent, emergency toilet roll, Can be fashioned into a sunhat. Used as kindling to start a campfire.

And, as a last resort, you can read it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, Mardy said:

Always buy a newspaper from the Guardian stand. Useful for spreading on the ground to sit on, mopping up any leaks inside your tent, emergency toilet roll, Can be fashioned into a sunhat. Used as kindling to start a campfire.

And, as a last resort, you can read it. 

And I thought people only bought it for the free bag.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ogriff said:

If you turn your phone off to charge it, will that have the desired effect of not running the portable charger down unnecessarily?

You know what, I’m not sure. I’m presuming it would. However, switching your phone on and off uses a fair bit of power if you’re doing it often. 

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

And I thought people only bought it for the free bag.

The bags were really good one year, they were sort of messanger bag style, maybe 11 or 12. But mostly they're horrible rucksack things. Got dozens of them at home, no idea what to do with them.

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Clothes in a dry bag - since condensation from breathing in tent will make them damp.

Comfort bottle!!

Avoid the one-in one-out (after the inevitable breaking of the seal) with beer/cider by having homemade cocktails/infusions.

White Russians are the cure hangovers and line the stomach (with a choc hob nob, of course)

Bog bag/kit for the blurry eye'd walk to the long drops in the morning

Love your feet in every way you can.

What's your white russian recipe? Bit kahlua or coffee syrup for sweetness? 

My tip with chargers is to just buy another one, charge it overnight and stop worrying.

More usefully, I have a small, light one for trickle charging which can do in the day bag or a coat pocket and a heavier, higher capacity charger for back at the tent. I'm considering getting a third this year to fully eradicate battery anxiety. 

I tried the various tricks around optimising charging, but it was just too much of a source of stress. When my phone was at 10% and I needed to go to sleep, my options were limited - spending the morning obsessing over the charge level of my phone before leaving camp or having to lug a massive charger around wasn't great.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

The bags were really good one year, they were sort of messanger bag style, maybe 11 or 12. But mostly they're horrible rucksack things. Got dozens of them at home, no idea what to do with them.

Sell them on ebay.  The 2011 ones which were the messenger style went for redic money  - saw some go for £40 ffs!

1 minute ago, tumbles said:

Sell them on ebay.  The 2011 ones which were the messenger style went for redic money  - saw some go for £40 ffs!

oooh, will dig them all out when I get home to the UK next month. Nice one. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I put my phone in airplane mode for the majority of the day, particularly when I'm watching acts, to save battery and the need to constantly charge.

Put it in airplane mode when charging too, your battery will be full in no time.

10 hours ago, Gacheezbo said:

If you're going to be using your smartphone a lot, bring portable charger(s). 

This is a bit of a given but seeing as there's always massive queues to recharge, some people don't plan for it (how?!) and miss half the festival!

Make sure your portable charger/powerbank has sufficient capacity to recharge your phone for the duration of the fest, e.g. if your phone battery charge capacity = 2500mAh and 1 charge lasts 24hrs, you will need to recharge your phone at least 4 times over the fest. To enable this your power bank needs to hold a minimum 11,000mAh (4 x 2500mAh + a minium 10% extra :  powerbanks can only deliver between 75 - 90% of the charge they hold to a phone)

Cheap powerbanks usually hold a max. of 5000mAh and often run out over the fest. Take several or one big one.