Lawks! It's only the 2019 Next Announcement Thread!

Gnomicide

I like that Pie manages to annoy some of the left because he dares to have a nuanced opinion that can accommodate criticism of fools like David Lammy. That said, he's very one-note. If you've seen one video you've basically seen them all, like that guy who shouts a lot from a taxi. Two peas in a pod, both articulating one of the left's central problems, which the assumption of moral authority and the instant, aggressive moral dismissal of anyone with an opposing point of view. I'm split on him - in tiny doses, I enjoy his schtick, but if he's any kind of spokesperson for the left, we're doomed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think you need to be left to think that Boris is an opportunist prick with no moral backbone.

I'm pretty sure more than half the tory party think the same.

Sure but hes says "we" when referring to the left in a few of those vids. 

Not sure where the hate is coming from unless its just part of this woke comedy shite. 

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

Which Nazis are you referring to here that they're 'going out to bat with'?

Far right people currently active?  Unfortunately theres plenty to choose from.  Generation Identity? The Brazilian government?  Viktor Orban? Take your pick.  Yer actual book burners.

Meanwhile Pie is sounding off about trigger warnings and safe spaces like they're the actual problem, whilst arguing for Tommy Robinson's right to a platform.

P.S. Nazi dog guy is now with UKIP, who in their present guise I'd also classify as extreme right. Not really a harmless japester in my view.

But as long as the left are annoyed, eh.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Meanwhile Pie is sounding off about trigger warnings and safe spaces like they're the actual problem, whilst arguing for Tommy Robinson's right to a platform.

I've got no idea who this guy is, so I don't know what I think of him - but to be fair, I've heard plenty of people on the left, including Billy Bragg, argue that the likes of Tommy Robinson should have a platform.

The idea being that if you shine a light on them, it's easier to expose just how full of shit they are.

57 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I was given tickets to see Pie and it was a curious experience.

Like some on here i'd only seen his YouTube videos taking the piss out of BJ, JRM, May, etc. Quite amusing.

Live was an altogether more divisive experience.

All that stuff i've mentioned above was decent, funny. As was the 'plot' of the show - a Patridge-esque attempt at a live show in order to get his own tv show. Worked quite well, if not original.

Towards the end though I had difficulty agreeing with - let alone laughing at - his schtick about:

- Telling people 'not to be victims'. Easily said if you're not on the receiving end of any sort of abuse.

- Stating that he wants to give the far right a voice...so he can talk to them...debate with them.

Fuck that. That shit didn't sit right with me.

I'm not clever enough to put my feelings into words or probably comprehend correctly what the overarching intention was, but:

As a comedian, i didn't really understand what he was aiming at / was going on (as i've just said), as a show i didn't get what, thematically, the point was. It was confused and drifted away from the narrative of the show as set out at the start.

Maybe i'm too thick. Probably. But it seemed very cosy for him to be making some of his points from a definite position of priviledge.

I think you summed it up very well- watching that Owen Jones interview with him,I think the reason you didn't quite get what his over arching aim is, was because I don't think he really understands what it is either- he just comes across as very naive. 

1 minute ago, incident said:

I've got no idea who this guy is, so I don't know what I think of him - but to be fair, I've heard plenty of people on the left, including Billy Bragg, argue that the likes of Tommy Robinson should have a platform.

The idea being that if you shine a light on them, it's easier to expose just how full of shit they are.

Not working so far, is it.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, incident said:

I think it's quite a vain notion though- that the interviewer is so clever and rational, in just 10 minutes they'll beat the bigot. What they fail to grasp is that the bigot isn't using reason, they're using emotion and they're reliant on having emotional resonance with the viewer- a lot of the time they end up running rings runs the interviewer. Even when the interviewer can nail them with reason, it makes zero difference to their supporters because they don't really care about that.

For example- I really like glastonbury, I'm looking forward to going. Say Newsnight do a programme tonight saying glastonbury is over priced, a waste of money and there are better things you could be spending your time and money. Do you listen with an open mind, carefully consider their arguments, weigh them up and then reflect on your position? Or do you think "what a load of bollocks" and then are so worked up you don't listen or are dismissive of everything they say? If after all that reasoning, there's another interviewee on the panel who simply says "you're full of shite! Glastonbury is f'ing ace"- you naturally will side with them and think they won the debate.

Edited by Mr.Tease
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think it's quite a vain notion though- that the interviewer is so clever and rational, in just 10 minutes they'll beat the bigot. What they fail to grasp is that the bigot isn't using reason, they're using emotion and they're reliant on having emotional resonance with the viewer- a lot of the time they end up running rings runs the interviewer. Even when the interviewer can nail them with reason, it makes zero difference to their supporters because they really care about that.

Aye. They think they're playing the same game when they're not.

Any shouts yet on when we might get the full poster? Few weeks yet?

Random one too, but any shouts on when we might find out what films the cinema is showing? I went there to watch Star Wars on the Thursday in 2017, and it was quite cool.

3 minutes ago, K2SO said:

Any shouts yet on when we might get the full poster? Few weeks yet?

Random one too, but any shouts on when we might find out what films the cinema is showing? I went there to watch Star Wars on the Thursday in 2017, and it was quite cool.

Normally the week after the 2nd bank holiday in May 

Get your May geek on:

In May we have previously seen:

• 48 Area announcements
  • 12 performer announcements including 2 headliners (1 as a replacement)
  • 1 Main Stages lineup
  • 8 full lineup announcements
  • 2 headliner cancellations
  • The only dates there has not been an announcement are 2nd, 3rd and 23rd
  • Days announcements made:
    • Mon - 7
    • Tues - 23
    • Wed - 10
    • Thu - 14
    • Fri - 19
    • Sat - 1
    • Sun - 2
  • Dates of the Full Lineup:
    • 22 May 2014
    • 25 May 2009
    • 29 May 2008
    • 30 May 2003
    • 30 May 2013 apart from BBC Introducing and Arcadia
    • 30 May 2017
    • 31 May 2007
    • 31 May 2016

Note: Some of the area announcements were made by the area's social media but did not get an announcement on the official Glastonbury Festival website:
11 May (Wed): Toad Hall
15 May (Sun): Poetry & Words
17 May (Tue): Hell Stage - 3 acts
24 May (Tue): Gaz's Rocket Lounge
25 May (Wed): The Rum Shack
15 May (Mon): The Gully
17 May (Wed): Wow
18 May (Thu): Speaker's Forum

For all May announcements see the Calendar section of TheThingy
https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/calendar.html

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Get your May geek on:

In May we have previously seen:

• 48 Area announcements
  • 12 performer announcements including 2 headliners (1 as a replacement)
  • 1 Main Stages lineup
  • 8 full lineup announcements
  • 2 headliner cancellations
  • The only dates there has not been an announcement are 2nd, 3rd and 23rd
  • Days announcements made:
    • Mon - 7
    • Tues - 23
    • Wed - 10
    • Thu - 14
    • Fri - 19
    • Sat - 1
    • Sun - 2
  • Dates of the Full Lineup:
    • 22 May 2014
    • 25 May 2009
    • 29 May 2008
    • 30 May 2003
    • 30 May 2013 apart from BBC Introducing and Arcadia
    • 30 May 2017
    • 31 May 2007
    • 31 May 2016

Note: Some of the area announcements were made by the area's social media but did not get an announcement on the official Glastonbury Festival website:
11 May (Wed): Toad Hall
15 May (Sun): Poetry & Words
17 May (Tue): Hell Stage - 3 acts
24 May (Tue): Gaz's Rocket Lounge
25 May (Wed): The Rum Shack
15 May (Mon): The Gully
17 May (Wed): Wow
18 May (Thu): Speaker's Forum

For all May announcements see the Calendar section of TheThingy
https://theglastonburythingy.weebly.com/calendar.html

As always, amazing ?