so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

17 hours ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

5th highest first week streaming fingers of all time - reckon Matt42 might have been wrong...

Will happily eat humble pie. Quite like vossy bop

I actually like Stormzy, my problem was that it was looking like he was set to headline without any new material that the GP would be familiar with. Him blocking Taylor Swift is very impressive.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

The good thing about @Matt42 taking ownership of an assessment that loads of others made before him is that when it's wrong, only he has to take the L. :lol: 

Is a pretty surprising turn of events though that Stormzy has come back with something bigger than any of his other songs without having to "sell out" with some contrived collab or anything. When I heard Vossi Bop, I'm sure many others thought the same as I that it wouldn't be a smash but look what it gone did.

Edited by dentalplan

On 5/4/2019 at 2:44 AM, FloorFiller said:

And there was me thinking this news single was a bit of a throwaway/teaser track. I’m shite at gauging what will be popular. I guess the album rollout hype is officially on.

VB is pop filler. It's fine - nothing wrong with it, but it's a catchy song designed to be popular. Doesn't say anything, doesn't change anything, but yeah sure - I can bop my head to it. I'm still curious about when his new album will drop, and I'm starting to suspect he'll do it out of nowhere. If his people don't release it at least 2-3 weeks before Glastonbury, they're mental. I would say it's imminent.

1 hour ago, Thunderstruck said:

He’s talented from what I’ve seen but it’s hardly headline material.

Yep, I think everyone is agreed on that. Where we differ is on whether he'll step off the stage in the same place he was in when he arrived. If so, Glastonbury have lost the gamble and wasted a headline set. If not, they'll have elevated Stormzy to 'festival headliner' status and not only influenced his career but the musical landscape. It will also have been a transcendent set; a proper Glastonbury moment, and only discount Noel Gallagher's would whine otherwise.

Personally, I think the gamble is worth it regardless of the result. Imagine if they only gave headline slots to already established acts. They'd be grovelling to the entitled, aka we'd be Coachella.

Edited by kalifire

7 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Is a pretty surprising turn of events though that Stormzy has come back with something bigger than any of his other songs without having to "sell out" with some contrived collab or anything. When I heard Vossi Bop, I'm sure many others thought the same as I that it wouldn't be a smash but look what it gone did.

It’s quite smart for him to come back with a pretty easy tune. Interesting to see him come back with a hip hop sound instead of grime.

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

VB is pop filler. It's fine - nothing wrong with it, but it's a catchy song designed to be popular. Doesn't say anything, doesn't change anything, but yeah sure - I can bop my head to it. I'm still curious about when his new album will drop, and I'm starting to suspect he'll do it out of nowhere. If his people don't release it at least 2-3 weeks before Glastonbury, they're mental. I would say it's imminent.

Pop filler that blocked Taylor swift and that cowboy tune that mums love. I didn’t think it would debut as strong as it is either.

i’m happy to take an L when I’m factually proven wrong. I truly didn’t think he had it in him to come back with a #1 single. 

All those Taylor swift rabid fans that would have been continuously streaming her tune all day and Stormzy beat her. Mad

23 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

All those Taylor swift rabid fans that would have been continuously streaming her tune all day and Stormzy beat her. Mad

Undoubtedly it is an impressive achievement from Stormzy, but surprisingly Taylor Swift only actually has 1 Uk number 1 single, so she's not exactly a heavyweight in this department. 

Shake it off for example peaked at number 2 and was beaten by David Guetta Lovers on the Sun, a song which I'm not sure i've ever even heard.  

3 hours ago, Scott129 said:

Undoubtedly it is an impressive achievement from Stormzy, but surprisingly Taylor Swift only actually has 1 Uk number 1 single, so she's not exactly a heavyweight in this department. 

Shake it off for example peaked at number 2 and was beaten by David Guetta Lovers on the Sun, a song which I'm not sure i've ever even heard.  

Yeah taylor isn’t exactly the force over here that she is in America. But Taylor’s latest single broke the VEVO record worldwide so I expect regardless her numbers here were pretty impressive anyway.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:42 PM, Matt42 said:

It’s quite smart for him to come back with a pretty easy tune. Interesting to see him come back with a hip hop sound instead of grime.

He's always said he considers himself a rapper who uses grime beats, and his last album had quite a varied sound.

I'm not surprised this is a hit - it's got a bit of that trappy sound that's everywhere over hear and in the US, catchy chorus, very easy to dance to, nod to the afropop sound.  It'll be interesting to see what the album looks like.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I know its only a Big Weekend set but Stormzy seems very underwhelming. I was excited about the Glastonbury set and the venue and crowd may have something to do with it but the start so far hasn't been the best for me.

Are the full sets from Big Weekend on TV or is this on the radio?