so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

If he drops a couple of singles in May I think it would be perfect timing to create a 'hype' - enough time for it to build and not too long for it to die. Would still give him the benefit of the doubt, not much has changed since the announcement. Didn't expect an album to have dropped  much earlier than now. I think delivering a good and enjoyable performance matters more than releasing a (critially acclaimed) album in time.

The main problem with him not having an album out in time would be that it’d be essentially the same set as last time plus a few songs nobody knows. I’m sure it wont come to that, and bands have done it before (Coldplay 2002 due to their album being delayed) but it would be a bit of a piss poor excuse for a headline set, and he definitely needs something new to get people excited about him again.

It is pretty grim that none of the three headliners have put out anything anyone really cares about since last time they played (apologies to any big fans of The Cure’s post-94 output...I’m sure some exist). I suppose the issue is that Stormzy was the one who was meant to provide that spark, and it hasn’t yet materialised.

47 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The main problem with him not having an album out in time would be that it’d be essentially the same set as last time plus a few songs nobody knows. I’m sure it wont come to that, and bands have done it before (Coldplay 2002 due to their album being delayed) but it would be a bit of a piss poor excuse for a headline set, and he definitely needs something new to get people excited about him again.

As people have said the hype for The Cure and The Killers isn't there....I'd happily see both but myself. This looks a very bad booking especially in that trio, there is nowhere else that has seen him as a headliner yet.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Be where you want old son, no-one's insisting that everyone likes Stormzy (or anything else for that matter!)

Key thing is accepting some people love it, and will be there having a ball! And as far as I know you ain't got a problem with that bit :)

Corse old son christ for some strange unfavanale reason some people don't like pearl jam lolololololol 

I really liked the booking when it was announced, but had kind of assumed there'd be new material by now and was really interested to see what was coming.  Also a bit weird that he hasn't played a show for over 6 months and it looks like his next will be at the Big Weekend at the end of May.  You kind of think he'd be getting his aim in before that.

I think many are forgetting that his own market is about as fickle as it gets. The kids and the youth right now are not listening to Stormzy. He’s been out of the public eye for 6 months and the market has moved on.

Bookmark me on this - Stormzy will go down a similar path as Dizzie Rascal. One successful album which he will ride for a long time, but his own market will have moved on.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, Matt42 said:

I think many are forgetting that his own market is about as fickle as it gets. The kids and the youth right now are not listening to Stormzy. He’s been out of the public eye for 6 months and the market has moved on.

Bookmark me on this - Stormzy will go down a similar path as Dizzie Rascal. One successful album which he will ride for a long time, but his own market will have moved on.

Bold claim however Dizzie has not headlined the G despite him claiming in 17 that he should be. Emily has given Stormzy the chance instead. He will reap the rewards IMO. 

On 4/13/2019 at 12:00 AM, Thunderstruck said:

Getting too big for his boots! Really poor of him to pull out of a gig that fans were waiting for.

Or in reality...Really poor of festival security to racially profile his team, handle them and aggressively and then try to cover it up by offering punters drinks vouchers in exchange for positive PR.

On 4/14/2019 at 11:31 AM, Matt42 said:

That is not remotely how Dizzee's career went down ahah

12 minutes ago, Username taken said:

One successful album, then 4 #1 singles five years later, after his market has moved on :rofl:

The 2 albums after that album both did better (I cant remember chart placing but I'm sure Maths and English is his only top 10 album) he was everywhere in 2007 managing to find a weird line between the indie kids and the grime lot. Grime left and he released some absolute bangers and dominated pop for a bit. He subbed the pyramid 10 years after that first album, which is still really a bit of a cult classic and no where near stormzy's level, as a UK rapper which was basically unheard of except for - wait for it - Dizzee Rascal.

Hes obviously not done so well in the last 6 years (although I enjoyed Raskit) but you'd imagine Stormzy would be pretty happy if he had a career like Dizzee's.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:01 AM, jyoung said:

Or in reality...Really poor of festival security to racially profile his team, handle them and aggressively and then try to cover it up by offering punters drinks vouchers in exchange for positive PR.

Oh yeh, it is poor. But I'd personally just take a different approach and not pull out.