so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

3 minutes ago, tarw said:

Just watched the end of Stormzy’s set on iPlayer. Seemed good to me.

In all fairness, Vossi Bop and BFYB were much better but earlier on was dreadful, especially that weird Shape of You thing. 

Earlier on in the performance it wasn't very good at all. 

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Are the full sets from Big Weekend on TV or is this on the radio?

BBC iPlayer. You can scroll back, Stormzy is stream two. Full sets will be available in a bit probably.

Edited by RarerThanDandyB

1 minute ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

In all fairness, Vossi Bop and BFYB were much better but earlier on was dreadful, especially that weird Shape of You thing. 

Earlier on in the performance it wasn't very good at all. 

BBC iPlayer. You can scroll back, Stormzy is stream two. Full sets will be available in a bit probably.

Like I said I only watched the end of his set.  Seemed to have lots of energy and hadn’t lost the crowd.  CBA watching the whole set as I will probably be watching Mr Hopkins anyway.  Mrs Tarw will probably be watching Stormzy with an early night.  I will probably have to go to the naughty corner or Arcadia to get my body clock ready for an overnight shift on Saturday.

22 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I know its only a Big Weekend set but Stormzy seems very underwhelming. I was excited about the Glastonbury set and the venue and crowd may have something to do with it but the start so far hasn't been the best for me.

I was there. They had closed the tent off to other people outside desperate to see him due to safety concerns. Mental that they had him in the tent against billy banjo and the lads as the demand was high. Also mental to think that a Glastonbury headliner was on the second stage. Big mistake really as the crowd charged the stewards and broke through at one point. 

The crowd loved it to be fair to him. He had them in the palm of his hands. So much so that Mrs Doug has changed her mind and wants to see his headline set now. 

• 2 weeks later...

So are we all of the mindset at this point that he's not going to have anything new except one single? Seems mental to me that he's going to headline off of the exact same album he came with in 2017. Was planning to see him but at this rate I'm more inclined to head to SEC early and get a spot for the late Idles set, don't see the need to see the exact same set just in headline form.

1 hour ago, Crossfit Jesus said:

So are we all of the mindset at this point that he's not going to have anything new except one single? Seems mental to me that he's going to headline off of the exact same album he came with in 2017. Was planning to see him but at this rate I'm more inclined to head to SEC early and get a spot for the late Idles set, don't see the need to see the exact same set just in headline form.

Yeah bold move by him. I’m assuming the album was originally supposed to be out pre-festival but he just didn’t get it done in time, so the songs from his previous album + a few that people haven’t heard yet it is. Will be interesting to see how that goes down. 

I mean, it wouldn't be any different from the standpoint of people actually attending his headline set, but would it be outrageous to suggest his album will come out on the same day? Could be a great little bit of marketing, if people listen to his album the day it drops then gets to see a lot of it performed on BBC One later that evening.

52 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Still think he’ll have his new album out before the festival.

3 minutes ago, y0ungtitan said:

I mean, it wouldn't be any different from the standpoint of people actually attending his headline set, but would it be outrageous to suggest his album will come out on the same day? Could be a great little bit of marketing, if people listen to his album the day it drops then gets to see a lot of it performed on BBC One later that evening.

Really quite hoping he does something like this and releases it out of nowhere before/during the festival as it’d be a baller way to get hype around both the album and headline performance, but tbh I think it’s more likely it just isn’t finished yet and that he’s gonna have to work pretty hard to get people interested in hearing a bunch of never heard before songs. He may be a great live performer but that’s a tough one to sell for anybody, especially when you only have one other album of material. 

I really hope he puts the album out before the fest even if he just drops it out of nowhere. Can’t see too many people who saw him in ‘17 bothering to see the same set again plus a few songs we’ve never heard before. It was fine but I wouldn’t be rushing to the pyramid to see it again. He needs to put out the album or else have a load of good special guests lined up to avoid being the flop of the weekend imo.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:
  • A genre that's not widely loved;
  • One album's worth of material that people know;
  • Potential for quite a few songs people haven't even heard yet;

I genuinely want him to succeed, but the odds aren't in his favour.

Spot on this, i reckon. Unless the album comes out of nowhere in the next week, then i fear it’s not looking great. Has the potential to be really special, but my hopes are fading.

I really want to watch him as I've been a fine since the fire in the park days.

But I'm struggling to make a case to go see him, Vossi Bop got my interests back up but not it's looking like no 2nd album, I'm torn at the minute.

It's also not being helped by the fact that everyone who was at Tame Impala on Saturday has said how incredible it was. 

I didn't seem him in 2017 so the old material should be as much of a draw as it ever was but not having no new material to get my teeth into seems so underwhelming, so I'll be off to watch some French Environmental Metal unless he drops on Friday and it's straight fire. ???

Maybe it is different for me because I am not faced with any clash decisions so these things aren’t playing against one another in the back of my head but Stormzy’s career has been him continuously stepping up to the occasion and delivering exciting performances. I really don’t see his debut Glasto headline set being the dregs of his last tour with songs that people don’t know what get talked over. He’s been thinking about the every day since he got booked so he’s not gonna half-arse it - the guy is gonna command attention and have the place eating out of his hand whatever he plays.

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Yeah, this.

Think he's absolutely risking it by going this close to the wire with any/all new material, yes. But he is still going to deliver an almighty show. Bring on some special guests that actually live up to the billing (Dave, J Hus, Skepta, Dizzee, whoever), dial up the production, maybe go for a Brits-style invective to keep the political fires burning and, fuck it, throw in the first song reloads a Glasto headliner has attempted and it will be a spectacle.

He’s gonna launch a Boris balloon.

Just seen this from back at the end of April where he claims the album was complete and ready to go back then. I know artists always seem to say albums are ready when in reality they aren't, but surely if it was ready a month ago it's only a matter of time before he releases it? Can't see him having it ready to go in April and waiting until after he headlines to put it out.

6 hours ago, Madyaker said:

I really hope he puts the album out before the fest even if he just drops it out of nowhere. Can’t see too many people who saw him in ‘17 bothering to see the same set again plus a few songs we’ve never heard before. It was fine but I wouldn’t be rushing to the pyramid to see it again. He needs to put out the album or else have a load of good special guests lined up to avoid being the flop of the weekend imo.

Its pretty much the same story with Tame Impala headlining the other. 

1 minute ago, Ged Devereux said:

Its pretty much the same story with Tame Impala headlining the other. 

A factor that has made me missing them an even easier decision. 

Maybe they'll debut a new song at the festival, but as it stands it's looking like a pretty similar setlist to their 2016 sub slot. I'm sure the added bonus of darkness and their light show will make it worth it for those who go, but I was kind of counting on some new tunes to ramp up my interest.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

A factor that has made me missing them an even easier decision. 

Maybe they'll debut a new song at the festival, but as it stands it's looking like a pretty similar setlist to their 2016 sub slot. I'm sure the added bonus of darkness and their light show will make it worth it for those who go, but I was kind of counting on some new tunes to ramp up my interest.

I think Kevin Parker is on Radio 1 on Thursday with Annie Mac so maybe we'll get another single. Pretty poor the two main stages are going to have pretty much repeat sets, pretty sure they were expecting them to both have new albums out by now. Black Keys would have been a better choice to headline other this year 

Surely he was booked under the impression that he would have a new album out by the time of the festival? I just can’t see them giving him such a huge shot with one albums worth of material - they would know that won’t go down well at all. 

Now whether that has changed and he’s pushed back the release for whatever reason is another matter ... 

Edited by st dan

Not agreeing with it and I know that really bookings should be made for us punters who have paid for a ticket, but don’t forget how much pyramid headliner bookings are made for what they’ll look like on the BBC.

He’s extremely popular at the moment, yes one album is really stretching things but to the average joe bloggs sitting on their sofa that won’t occur to them and it will look amazing.

In no way shape of from has Stormzy been booked for his back catalogue, it’s a myriad of contributing factors.