so, Stormzy then...?

eFestivals

8 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Without being mean I do feel that there is absolutely 0 hype for this set. I don’t think I’ve seen as little excitement or anticipation or speculation surrounding a headliner in any festival I’ve ever been to. 

I know the festival doesn’t tend to get things wrong but I think this was a bad call. They should have at least waited until the second album dropped. 

I’m glad to be proved wrong but if he thinks he can still be riding the hype of gang signs in 2019 then he’s got a problem. They should have been brave and given the slot to Tame Impala! In another universe they would be the Friday headliner and Stormzy would be a pyramid sub in 2020. 

EDIT: to further what I mean by riding the hype of the first album. Popular music is not loyal at all unless you give them something to hype over. There have been countless examples of artists having a pretty big first album and falling on the 2nd. Emiliee Sandee had a huge first album and now she’s not far off a butlins booking.

The age of the album as the key bit of output would appear  - at least for now - to be over.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The age of the album as the key bit of output would appear  - at least for now - to be over.

Do you not think so Calgon?  If there's a steady stream of singles or tracks coming through then maybe not, but when playing to a festival crowd it surely helps massively if they've had time to get to know tracks so they know it when it's played live?  Pretty much any artist will get a bigger crowd pop from a tune that people can sing along to, or at least know the structure of, than a completely unknown track right?

I would imagine rather than promoting new music, which he will obviously do to a point. This set is going to be more a celebration of how far Grime/UK Rap has come and would imagine there are going to be serious special guests to make that happen.

Expected his album by now but that doesn't mean to say if he drops it within the next 4 weeks that there wouldn't be hype for his set. The album drop could be massive and he could end up headlining on the crest of that wave which would probably be the perfect PR spin. The caveat of all of this is whether his new stuff is well received though. 

I still think the potential upside for Stormzy's set is extremely high. Whilst he is not my thing his set was a major part of every Glastonbury 17 vlog that I have seen. The younger and more urban demographic at the festival really love him. Also this is the first headliner in a while who has a chance to really make their 'Glastonbury moment'. It may fall flat but my money is on him absolutely smashing it.

Apparently Stormzy wasn't on site when his manager was searched.  I know he has a valid point to make but pulling out of a festival he was headlining means his fans miss out.  Seems a bit of a dick move when security have gone rogue.  Why not do the gig and make the point on stage?

Based on his tweet last year with that NG quote he will have been booked to headline Glastonbury when his profile was sky high after the Brits appearance.  Seems to have done little since but guess he is confident in his new stuff and will drop something before Glastonbury.  He's not up against the strongest other headliner in Tame Impala so guess he will get a decent crowd. 

Edited by Northtim

2 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Apparently Stormzy wasn't on site when his manager was searched.  I know he has a valid point to make but pulling out of a festival he was headlining means his fans miss out.  Seems a bit of a dick move when security have gone rogue.  Why not do the gig and make the point on stage?

I guess his view is that ultimately it wouldn't make a strong enough point.  Also, and this is a guess, given that it's in Austria rather than the UK how well would he be able to make that point? Hit them where it hurts.

I think Emily got it in that interview the other week about the line up and the stage bookers; it takes significant effort to get even an insignificant step forward.  Sometimes you gotta go big.

2 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Based on his tweet last year with that NG quote he will have been booked to headline Glastonbury when his profile was sky high after the Brits appearance.  Seems to have done little since but guess he is confident in his new stuff and will drop something before Glastonbury.  He's not up against the strongest other headliner in Tame Impala so guess he will get a decent crowd. 

I think it was more the fact that the festival didn't try and deal with the problem or address the issue or even apologise for the whole situation. They could have mediated the situation but instead made it worse and now the fact that they are resorting to desperate measures to try and save some face has just made it 10 times worse and makes them look guilty as f*ck. 

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Without being mean I do feel that there is absolutely 0 hype for this set. I don’t think I’ve seen as little excitement or anticipation or speculation surrounding a headliner in any festival I’ve ever been to. 

For me, that's a good thing.

1. There doesn't need to be hype, they've sold all the tickets

2. Too often headliners are hyped up to levels that they'll never match and are deemed a flop when the reality is they did a good set (see Kanye)

3. Low key is best for Stormzy. His best chance of nailing this and having a huge breakthrough moment is a low key build up and deliver a great set. 

You'll go to Stormzy because you want to. I don't get what the hype adds? Would people seriously go and see him just because of the hype? Hype leads to lots of casual observers coming to see him because the hype says he's amazing, etc, etc....and those people are nearly always leaving with a negative reaction that 'he was ok but nothing amazing'.

Stormzy doesn't need the hype. He seems a pretty grounded person and being the first UK rapper to headline Glastonbury is enough. Let the lad just go out there and suprise a few people without building the event.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

EDIT: to further what I mean by riding the hype of the first album. Popular music is not loyal at all unless you give them something to hype over.

Plenty of excitement in our house. I have two teenagers who have Stormzy at the top of their must see list (unfortunately for one Tame Impala was second...) 

Whilst it won't be Springsteenesque in terms of length, I am reliably informed he's got enough material for a headline set. 

Different demographic innit? One that will form part of the future of this festival. Bit harsh to suggest they need a load of hype to stay on board with an artist. 

Also, there's fuck all hype for The Killers or The Cure, singling out Stormzy would be wrong, especially since his announcement was absolutely ages ago so it's had a load of time to die down. I honestly can't think of a single headline act, at any festival, that you would say there is any significant amount of 'hype' for.

21 minutes ago, Keithy said:

For me, that's a good thing.

1. There doesn't need to be hype, they've sold all the tickets

2. Too often headliners are hyped up to levels that they'll never match and are deemed a flop when the reality is they did a good set (see Kanye)

3. Low key is best for Stormzy. His best chance of nailing this and having a huge breakthrough moment is a low key build up and deliver a great set. 

You'll go to Stormzy because you want to. I don't get what the hype adds? Would people seriously go and see him just because of the hype? Hype leads to lots of casual observers coming to see him because the hype says he's amazing, etc, etc....and those people are nearly always leaving with a negative reaction that 'he was ok but nothing amazing'.

Stormzy doesn't need the hype. He seems a pretty grounded person and being the first UK rapper to headline Glastonbury is enough. Let the lad just go out there and suprise a few people without building the event.

If.. When I'm at Glasto ill make sure I'm as far away from that crap as possible...sorry if that upsets people. 

You can be that there will be fucking hundreds of shut it t shirts tho lol... Nightmare.. 

I think I'm still drunk the pshyo pharepist is going to be have a strange session today lol.. I've got to be there at 12....

Shuuut it 

23 minutes ago, guypjfreak said:

If.. When I'm at Glasto ill make sure I'm as far away from that crap as possible...sorry if that upsets people. 

Be where you want old son, no-one's insisting that everyone likes Stormzy (or anything else for that matter!)

Key thing is accepting some people love it, and will be there having a ball! And as far as I know you ain't got a problem with that bit :)

• Upvote 1