Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

31 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

I must live in a parallel universe, I thought the last Tame Impala album was mediocre. How are they suddenly massive enough to headline?

Yep, I’m with you there. They’re not a bad band, but headliners? Even subbing the Pyramid seemed like a big old stretch to me the other year.

Yeah there’s a weird thing on eFests about overhyping Tame Impala. They’re a band on the rise that got a big Pyramid slot out of replacing an act (D’Angelo ffs) and a successful next album should only really solidify that level of billing, rather than use that as a springboard. I love them but I don’t think they’ll ever headline stuff as big as Glastonbury or Reading or TRNSMT in the UK - I don’t really see how they can crack into that within a short timeframe.

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah there’s a weird thing on eFests about overhyping Tame Impala. They’re a band on the rise that got a big Pyramid slot out of replacing an act (D’Angelo ffs) and a successful next album should only really solidify that level of billing, rather than use that as a springboard. I love them but I don’t think they’ll ever headline stuff as big as Glastonbury or Reading or TRNSMT in the UK - I don’t really see how they can crack into that within a short timeframe.

I disagree. Currents was way more successful than I expected it to be. You also can’t deny that they have maintained a strong core fan base whilst getting more popular. 

If their next album even matches Currents they will make that step to headlining festivals. I don’t think Glastonbury will be the first festival they headline though.

I don’t see how 21P can headline reading but Tame Impala can’t?

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

That D'Angelo thing was weird, when he (its a 'he', right?) suddenly popped up all big on the poster for a few hours. Most people including me didn't even know who he was.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I disagree. Currents was way more successful than I expected it to be. You also can’t deny that they have maintained a strong core fan base whilst getting more popular. 

If their next album even matches Currents they will make that step to headlining festivals. I don’t think Glastonbury will be the first festival they headline though.

Because they’ve sold millions of albums and are perfect for Reading lol. Currents hasn’t even sold the levels of the album before Twenty One Pilots’ breakthrough.

Honestly this is exactly the same as you calling out from the rooftops for Black Keys to headline festivals.

44 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Did they definitely replace him? D'Angelo seemed very odd as a sub as hardly anyone seemed to know he was. He was just weirdly on the poster for a really brief period of time?

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Agree with most of this but would change 21P to Foals.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Because they’ve sold millions of albums and are perfect for Reading lol. Currents hasn’t even sold the levels of the album before Twenty One Pilots’ breakthrough.

Honestly this is exactly the same as you calling out from the rooftops for Black Keys to headline festivals.

Except from I’m not calling for the Black Keys to headline festivals in 2019.

also do you really think Black Keys, a band who’ve done nothing for years are about the same size as Tame Impala now? I strongly disagree.

i also don’t understand the notion that Tame Impala have peaked in size? They picked up a lot of fans with currents, i’m sure that their next album (if good) could perform even better.

22 minutes ago, TomViolence said:

Agree with most of this but would change 21P to Foals.

What the hell? 

Foals did the rounds at UK fests for yonks, building up a fan base and headlining a whack of festivals before headlining Reading. Not to mention it’s their home festival that they’ve never failed to conjure a crowd at, whereas Tame Impala have hardly ever mustered a crowd there, so I hear.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Except from I’m not calling for the Black Keys to headline festivals in 2019.

also do you really think Black Keys, a band who’ve done nothing for years are about the same size as Tame Impala now? I strongly disagree.

i also don’t understand the notion that Tame Impala have peaked in size? They picked up a lot of fans with currents, i’m sure that their next album (if good) could perform even better.

No I meant in 2014 you were saying the same shiz about Black Keys being a future Glastonbury headliner bc of Coachella and stuff like that.

Though if they came back they’d be about the same size (like a major fest sub) as Tame Impala, since they were playing bigger slots and venues in their pomp so they were, and El Camino was way bigger than Currents.

21 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

What the hell? 

Foals did the rounds at UK fests for yonks, building up a fan base and headlining a whack of festivals before headlining Reading. Not to mention it’s their home festival that they’ve never failed to conjure a crowd at, whereas Tame Impala have hardly ever mustered a crowd there, so I hear.

No I meant in 2014 you were saying the same shiz about Black Keys being a future Glastonbury headliner bc of Coachella and stuff like that.

Though if they came back they’d be about the same size (like a major fest sub) as Tame Impala, since they were playing bigger slots and venues in their pomp so they were, and El Camino was way bigger than Currents.

7B017FFC-204B-4104-B50A-72E5E94420B9.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

7B017FFC-204B-4104-B50A-72E5E94420B9.png

:D

I’m not knocking you for being wrong about it - god knows I predict badly - but I’m just saying it’s easy to get carried away before standing back and realising that they’ve accomplished relatively little, compared to these other headliners that are being picked at.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

:D

I’m not knocking you for being wrong about it - god knows I predict badly - but I’m just saying it’s easy to get carried away before standing back and realising that they’ve accomplished relatively little, compared to these other headliners that are being picked at.

I still stand by my opinion that the Black Keys could have been UK festival headliners. In the same way that I think Vampire Weekend could have been. 

I think primarily it’s down to whether the band considers the U.K. as a valuable market to put effort into / what actually happens to the band.

i believe both of the bands I’ve mentioned having a long hiatus etc dampened their chances. However, I’d like to think that at a certain point you’d agree with me that The Black Keys were on their way to reaching that level before... life happened... I guess.

bringing it back to Tame Impala they’ve had no such break and they are starting the tour off the back of a well received album so I think the possibility for them is different in comparison to The Black Keys

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What the hell? 

Foals have indeed steadily worked their way up to that level but I see no reason why Tame Impala can't reach / exceed that. 

Tame Impala sell out similar venues to ones Foals played on the Holy Fire tour and you'd expect them to do arenas on the next tour.  Their albums are always very well received with critics and Currents charted as well as any Foals album has. 

If the next one does well and if they nail Coachella they're surely only going to continue getting bigger and that'll surely open the door to headlining a festival like Reading.

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I still stand by my opinion that the Black Keys could have been UK festival headliners. In the same way that I think Vampire Weekend could have been. 

I think primarily it’s down to whether the band considers the U.K. as a valuable market to put effort into / what actually happens to the band.

i believe both of the bands I’ve mentioned having a long hiatus etc dampened their chances. However, I’d like to think that at a certain point you’d agree with me that The Black Keys were on their way to reaching that level before... life happened... I guess.

I have to respectfully disagree. I saw both headline Latitude and sub elsewhere (and I liked them). They were just better as subs. Florence for example (regardless of taste) stepped up, they didn’t. 

I always got the opinion that Tame Impala were much bigger in the US than they were in the UK and don't think them being booked as a headliner over there would have any significant bearing on their possible positioning over here. For example, off the top of my head, Coachella had a Blur and Stone Roses co headline a few years ago (which would never happen in the Uk because both bands could comfortably headline any festival over here in their own right) whilst Biffy Clyro played a middle of the afternoon slot on the Coachella second stage after they'd made the jump to UK headliner.