Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

Just now, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye I know that, but he also specifically said the last he'd heard was that they'd turned down Glasto, didn't he? Which would mean he'd have to be wrong on two counts for them to end up playing.

I think them turning Glasto down was just implied by them having been offered but also there being no shows.

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think them turning Glasto down was just implied by them having been offered but also there being no shows.

Hmm.

"Turned it down from what i've been told, taking most of the year off now, first break they've had as a band really in 7 odd years."

Them doing one or two gigs (Standon Calling obvs being one) and not Glasto would still fit in imo. Sounds to me like he's specifically heard they turned down Glasto.

5 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Hmm.

"Turned it down from what i've been told, taking most of the year off now, first break they've had as a band really in 7 odd years."

Them doing one or two gigs (Standon Calling obvs being one) and not Glasto would still fit in imo. Sounds to me like he's specifically heard they turned down Glasto.

I agree. As we've mentioned before, they might rather wait and play Glastonbury when they have a new album out, while doing a few festivals like Standon Calling act as a few paydays between albums.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

I agree. As we've mentioned before, they might rather wait and play Glastonbury when they have a new album out, while doing a few festivals like Standon Calling act as a few paydays between albums.

Yep, makes more sense to do Glasto and the exposure you get with it when they've got a new album, whereas with stuff like Standon Calling it makes no difference.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

If they turned down Glasto because they wanted a year off then fine, makes perfect sense. But turning down Glasto to headline a small festival a couple of weeks later? Not for me Jeff...

Personally I think we have our Friday night headliner.

No one said they turned it down to do that festival instead? Word was they've taken most of the year off, presumably until they have new material out. Loads of bands do this and still do a few smaller festivals or whatever for the odd payday, whilst holding off on the bigger fests until they've released new material.

3 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

No one said they turned it down to do that festival instead? Word was they've taken most of the year off, presumably until they have new material out. Loads of bands do this and still do a few smaller festivals or whatever for the odd payday, whilst holding off on the bigger fests until they've released new material.

I'm not saying it's one or the other, I just wonder if they're coming out of the world's shortest self-imposed exile to do Standon and Glastonbury is also on the table. Well, why wouldn't you?

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm not saying it's one or the other, I just wonder if they're coming out of the world's shortest self-imposed exile to do Standon and Glastonbury is also on the table. Well, why wouldn't you?

Because, as we've said, it makes sense (and lots of bands do it) to hold off on the big festivals where you get broadcast on TV and play to tens of thousands of punters until you have new material to push. If they headline Other in 2019 they're not gonna be able to do it again in 2020 after they've got a new album out. If they turn down 2019 they'd almost definitely be given a 2020 slot instead.

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Because, as we've said, it makes sense (and lots of bands do it) to hold off on the big festivals where you get broadcast on TV and play to tens of thousands of punters until you have new material to push. If they headline Other in 2019 they're not gonna be able to do it again in 2020 after they've got a new album out. If they turn down 2019 they'd almost definitely be given a 2020 slot instead.

I concede that you have a point...

3 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Conversly Ian Brown has an album out on 1st Feb and has not been announced for any festivals at allfor this year. Not saying he is going to headline the other, but he will probably follow the cycle you outlined above.

Edited by eastynh

50 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Conversly Ian Brown has an album out on 1st Feb and has not been announced for any festivals at allfor this year. Not saying he is going to headline the other, but he will probably follow the cycle you outlined above.

How I have wanted to hear some of them solo tunes again. Ian Brown solo at this years Glastonbury would be the most pleasant surprise imaginable for me. 

57 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I’m surprised he hasn’t turned up on any lineups to be honest. Thought he’d be touring his new album extensively this summer and would have expected him to headline somewhere like Kendal or Standon. 

Edited by Hugh Jass