The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

Just now, Kinkyinuit said:

It felt biblical.  I was working on the bars that year and watched DJ shadow on my break.  Had to sprint from the bar to the JP tent in that shitstorm.  

It all dried up by sunday.  Even the saturday wasn't that bad at all

Friday night was awful thou.  I sat in the tent and had to listen to Bono going acapella

Just now, tumbles said:

Friday night was awful thou.  I sat in the tent and had to listen to Bono going acapella

That sounds like a fate worse than death.  

I got extremely lucky in the bar I was working on that year.   One night we had mexican wrestling, the other we had Kate Tempest's previous band - Sound of Rum play and escaped the worst of the weather.  It definitely made up for my shifts getting in the way of the festival!

GFS 06Z continued.

Sunday: High pressure actually fights back a bit, with the low being forced north (this is where the rain is showing to go on the Saturday). But showery rain showing on the Sunday. Cooler at 17-18.

In summary. Good start to the festival now but the Friday rain on this run would be horrendous. Lots of time for it to improve though!

image.png

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

FWIW from my experience of working outside, and therefore often checking the weather, I find the BBC Weather App is pretty crap. I'm sure someone told me they changed their weather model a few year back and now they're pretty unreliable. I've known them to be wrong even the day before plenty of times. 

No idea about the other ones though! 

In my experience the BBC weather app often can't predict the next hour accurately, let alone the next day. I would advise ignoring it completely.

edit to add: apart from when it gives an optimistic Glastonbury forecast, I think we should believe it for that.

Edited by uscore
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, briddj said:

GFS 06Z continued.

Sunday: High pressure actually fights back a bit, with the low being forced north (this is where the rain is showing to go on the Saturday). But showery rain showing on the Sunday. Cooler at 17-18.

In summary. Good start to the festival now but the Friday rain on this run would be horrendous. Lots of time for it to improve though!

image.png

With the way the site has dodged a lot of the heavier showers this month, I am sure that there is a force field around Pilton.

Overall it's a promising set of runs, barring the friday.  If the temps remain above 20 degrees, that should take care of the rain that comes down.

Right.  I guess I should relax a little until the next runs are out and not come on here until 6.  

I mean, I won't and I'll be back a lot sooner but at least I've tried

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, briddj said:

GFS 06Z continued.

200_s.gif

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

It felt biblical.  I was working on the bars that year and watched DJ shadow on my break.  Had to sprint from the bar to the JP tent in that shitstorm.  

It all dried up by sunday.  Even the saturday wasn't that bad at all

It was trainers weather by the Sunday I can recall that much.

45 minutes ago, kemosabe said:

FWIW from my experience of working outside, and therefore often checking the weather, I find the BBC Weather App is pretty crap. I'm sure someone told me they changed their weather model a few year back and now they're pretty unreliable. I've known them to be wrong even the day before plenty of times. 

No idea about the other ones though! 

BBC Weather website forecast has been wrong here every day for the past 10 days--says its going to be dry when it's raining, raining when it's dry, blue skies when it's cloudy- utter crap! 

When I was in Vietnam, AccuWeather was pretty good

2011 was one of my better years, Friday night in particular was probably my best night ever at Glastonbury. I remember it started raining quite a bit for Chase and Status, but didn't take any enjoyment away from their performance, the whole field seemed to be loving it.  Then went back to the tents, a few of our group sacked it off for the night cause of the rain, but me and 2 mates headed down to Arcadia (think it was still down at the South East Corner then). Got in easily as the rain put a lot of people off and had a sick night dancing under the warmth and glow of Arcadia. Remember being in wellies a bit the next day, but were back in trainers before we knew it. 

Been to a fair few Glastonbury's (since 2008) and only 2016 and 2010 actually stand out weather wise, the rest of the years just blur into one as the weather was never really an issue.

12 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Rain just before it starts = mud. Starts to dry out, then it c*nts it down all day Friday = mud from which there is no recovery.

Happy f*cking Christmas ?

True every time it's rained during the festival the whole thing is a disaster that can't be recovered from, totally balanced and rational reaction to a rainy day.

4 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

True every time it's rained during the festival the whole thing is a disaster that can't be recovered from, totally balanced and rational reaction to a rainy day.

I apologise I wasn’t aware that this thread was meant to be rational and balanced ?.

I shall try again.

Weather forecasting is an inexact science and modelling is extremely unrealistic beyond a very short time frame. Therefore, to debate weather 9 days from now is not a worthwhile exercise - delete this thread!

3 hours ago, Airlie said:

It was Circa Waves, I was there!  It really did bucket down at that point.

Ahhh yes, that’s jogged my memory. My friend wanted to see them, I remember we ended up getting there ridiculously early because he didn’t want to miss them, but it worked quite well as we missed all the rain sheltering in there.

Talk of a 'Spanish Plume' on the Netweather thread now!

Pretty sure that the 'Spanish Plume' is held in similar echelons as the might Azores High. A few of the model runs seem to be predicting some nice heat for next week now, hopefully a pattern that continues throughout the week.

Edited by bigfurbdogg