The Weather Thread 2019

sedra

10 minutes ago, rosieangel said:

*whispers* I'm feeling more and more confident that it's going to be fine - dry, cloudy, late teens-maybe early twenties and a small smattering of showers on the wed if at all

Ye, same here! The feelings of panic and dread have mainly subsided (for now at least).

1 hour ago, rosieangel said:

*whispers* I'm feeling more and more confident that it's going to be fine - dry, cloudy, late teens-maybe early twenties and a small smattering of showers on the wed if at all

I feel pretty good about it too.  The Weather Outlook says some rain for Friday, but I have no idea what 14mm of rain means. 

1 minute ago, briddj said:

GFS 12Z is go! 

Still going to get a soaking tomorrow but should be nothing to worry about with warmth to come. 

Updates to follow! 

May I politely enquire, have you a general interest in weather, an enthusiastic amateur, a professional, or are you Michael Fish in disguise!? ?

5 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

May I politely enquire, have you a general interest in weather, an enthusiastic amateur, a professional, or are you Michael Fish in disguise!? ?

Glastonbury weather obsessive having learned basic weather jargon in the run-up to festivals! I'm no expert, and can't go deeper into all the charts and runs mumbo-jumbo. What I can do is tell people what the GFS is doing.

• Upvote 2

GFS 12Z, this week through to Saturday

Tuesday: Still going to get a soaking (14 degrees) but should be nothing to worry about with warmth to come. Rain done by 6pm.

Wednesday: Bit of rain around in the afternoon, but 17 degrees.

Thursday: High pressure still struggling to wrestle control, struggling at 16-17. Little bit of rain around

Friday: High pressure finally begins to get into the south and force the low northbound. Temperatures still cool at 15-16. Just a trace of any rain

Saturday: Pressure is stable today, again a very small amout of rain around with temperatures around 18

Now, will the low (still out to the south west) force its way back in again as in previous runs on Sunday and Monday?

GFS 12Z, Sunday to Tuesday before the gates open

Sunday: Pressure remains good, keeping the low out to the south west. Very small amount of rain, though there is a heavy band about to move in overnight. Pleasant at 19-20

Monday: Cooler at 14-15 as the rain moves through overnight and through the day, but higher pressure keeps the low pressure area at bay. Could be a fair amount of rain around.

Tuesday: Higher pressure really builds in and takes command, temperatures up to 19 with zero rain. Brilliant for any drying required even though there is the possibility of a small amount of rain.

Next.... the gates open.

Edited by briddj

4 minutes ago, briddj said:

Sunday: Pressure remains good, keeping the low out to the south west. Very small amount of rain, though there is a heavy band about to move in overnight. Pleasant at 19-20

Monday: Cooler at 16-17 as the rain moves through overnight and through the day, but higher pressure keeps the low pressure area at bay. Could be a fair amount of rain around, but signs is could even track west over Wales and Ireland.

Tuesday: Higher pressure really builds in and takes command, temperatures up to 19-20 with zero rain. Brilliant for any drying required.

Next.... the gates open.

Still looking for me to go on Sunday now then. Shame to have an extra evening at the festival ;)

15 minutes ago, briddj said:

Monday: Cooler at 14-15 as the rain moves through overnight and through the day, but higher pressure keeps the low pressure area at bay. Could be a fair amount of rain around.

Tuesday: Higher pressure really builds in and takes command, temperatures up to 19-20 with zero rain. Brilliant for any drying required.

Next.... the gates open.

Aaaahh this is amazing, now we just need that high pressure to stick around during the festival itself. 

@marcwilson87take a look at this forecast! 

GFS 12Z, Wednesday: High pressure continues to be in total command. Rain showing for the area from 6am all morning so the possibility of being wet in the queue and setting up. But temperatures will be up to 21 by midday before rising to a high of 24! More rain showing for the evening, but not much.

3 minutes ago, briddj said:

GFS 12Z, Wednesday: High pressure continues to be in total command. Rain showing for the area from 6am all morning so the possibility of being wet in the queue and setting up. But temperatures will be up to 21 by midday before rising to a high of 24! More rain showing for the evening, but not much.

Yeah!! This is the stuff! It's looking good guys! ?

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

My god it’s just as well I hadn’t seen that before we arrived! And that photo is probably before the traders vans churned up the ground as they set up. 

I now want to go back to the 2016 weather thread to see how people were reacting to these images

1 minute ago, barkley87 said:

This has been the most stressful weather thread since I joined this forum in 2010 (I didn't go in 2016), and I am SO HAPPY it's finally all coming together. I knew we could do it! 

Still a long way out - could all change. But a positive trend is emerging!

1 minute ago, barkley87 said:

This has been the most stressful weather thread since I joined this forum in 2010 (I didn't go in 2016), and I am SO HAPPY it's finally all coming together. I knew we could do it! 

It's had everything hasn't it... and there's still room for some more twists and turns.