lacoste

british summer time 2019

Pretty sure I know roughly what they'll be anyway, but anyone know/got a photo of the bar prices? Going tomorrow but might enter later in the afternoon.

Thoughts on the day:

Sam Fender was absolutely great, nice way to start the festival and really get all the hype surrounding him now.

Cat Power was eh. I feel part of it was she wasn't my thing but the atmosphere was non-existent and she was pretty dull. 

Laura Marling was incredible, I've liked her for years and she didn't disappoint. Bit sad she played nowt off alas I cannot swim but that didn't hinder my enjoyment and it was fab to see her.

Neil Young was perfect. Haven't listened to too much of his stuff but he blew me out the window. Would love to see him again at some point. A perfect encore as well. Certainly the highlight of my day.

Bob Dylan was a huge disappointment, I don't think I've ever been as let down. Was incredibly excited to see him but honestly he's totally lost his voice and it felt like watching a shadow of himself. Ended up leaving during Like A Rolling Stone as I couldn't take anymore.

Very excited for Florence tomorrow! 

3 hours ago, y0ungtitan said:

Pretty sure I know roughly what they'll be anyway, but anyone know/got a photo of the bar prices? Going tomorrow but might enter later in the afternoon.

Mate at work went to Stevie last week and said it was £6.20 a pint...

Anyone had any bother bringing a portable charger in by the way?

Had 2 portable chargers on me, no problem.  

Cameras - they asked if mine had a removable lens, it does but I said no and they let it in, but it was only a smallish 50mm lens.

Heineken was £6 a pint.  Think Fosters was too.

Neil was great as always, Bob I lasted 3 songs but I wasn’t really there for him.  

Listened to Bob from outside and he sounded on decent enough form, Girl From the North Country was fantastic. So was Love Sick, as ever.

If anyone is selling a spare for Florence today and wants to meet outside the venue then let me know.

10 hours ago, fantomas said:

Cameras - they asked if mine had a removable lens, it does but I said no and they let it in, but it was only a smallish 50mm lens.

Nice, that's exactly what I was planning on taking 

I've heard so many negatively things about seeing Bob Dylan live, but I actually kinda enjoyed it. If you go in expecting the music to sound exactly as it did on vinyl then you'll be disappointed, but otherwise it's alright. Just don't think of it as a Bob Dylan concert, if that makes sense.

However there were quite a lot of talkers wherever I stood and it was hard to get away from there. A bunch of young lads all being like "oh my god I can't believe I'm seeing Bob Dylan, he's a fucking genius" and then talking nonstop through multiple songs. I'm sure it was worth paying £80+ for that

17 hours ago, y0ungtitan said:

£5.50 - £6.50 a pint. Mostly Heineken or Fosters, but some had Maltsmiths IPA, Moretti & Amstel. Ciders too, including Dark Fruits. Free water points about so def bring a bottle.

Like @Gilgamesh69states I have heard so many negative things about Dylan live that I shouldn't be disappointed.

But I still was.

It's like he makes no effort to ennunciate properly. He only seems to have about two or three notes vocally these days. He may as well just talk the lyrics but see point one. And, as for his timing? It's like he just spits out the next line whenever he feels like it. Call it "constantly reworking old material" or "improv", if you like. Personally I think it's just lazy. He still plays a mean harp though.

I left half an hour early to get home an hour earlier than I would have done otherwise.

He should have gone on before Young but I don't think that was ever going to happen.

There was no effort made to enforce the "No picnic blankets beyond this point" rule. They should be banned. Someone had even bought in a tent for their kids. It felt more like being on a beach in places than at a musical event.

I must remember to seriously reconsider going to Hyde Park if anyone I like comes up there in future. Even a decent view of the stage feels half a mile back with a GA ticket, and I found a decent view is hard to get (the sound tower on the left blocks out huge swathes of view). It's more like you're paying £80+ to see a live performance on a couple of screens and you can just about make out the stage in the distance. With only one or two different camera shots.

• Upvote 1

Neil was unbelievably good. Was a proper ripping setlist and the crowd seemed to love it. Feel really honoured that I got to see him again and it was easily as good as the gigs he did in 2016. 

Bob was alright. It was good fun and the band were great but his delivery and and annunciation meant that it never quite reached the peaks of Neil's set. 

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

I must remember to seriously reconsider going to Hyde Park if anyone I like comes up there in future. Even a decent view of the stage feels half a mile back with a GA ticket, and I found a decent view is hard to get (the sound tower on the left blocks out huge swathes of view). It's more like you're paying £80+ to see a live performance on a couple of screens and you can just about make out the stage in the distance. With only one or two different camera shots.

Exactly how I felt, although I did the cure last year so I knew the score, will give it a miss from now on. This diamond £400, gold £195 ticket price piss take which mean you can get nowhere near the front and the towers blocked out quite a lot of the stage for the normal tickets £95 holders at the back. 

Watched Dylan down at hop farms so wasn't expecting much, this was a lot better but then my expectations were very low after hop farm,  thought his band was pretty tight, that helped.

I think im going to stick to the non-tiered days from now on. Having a great time at Florence so far even though I don't know the bill that well and it was the same for The Cure last year.

It would have to be a huge name to pull me back for tiered to the point bar Paul McCartney or Fleetwood Mac I can't think of anyone I'd do it for.

I get they need the two big viewing platforms but put them way to the side. The left one in particular really irks me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a negative view on Bob Dylan, I felt so rude leaving early in his presence and I'm not expecting a direct from vinyl performance as well but there's a line and he crossed it for me.

If any of the people I saw in the front section during the National who spent the entire time sitting down on their phones happen to post here...I'd love to hear a rational explanation for it. 

Sadly I fear it would just be "we were waiting for Florence" though. 

Went last night and Neil Young was great, on par with Glastonbury 2009. Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan, who for years does his "greatest" as new arrangements. I saw Roger Walters last year which was also sold out, plus it was incredibly hot, but never had to queue for bars unlike yesterday when it took 30 ministers to get a drink. There seemed to be a ratio of one supervisor to three bar staff and the supervisors did bugger all except to check the odd £20 pound note. I have to forget that this is not a normal festival and accept that it is corporate land. But if they want to make more money improve the ratio of bar staff. Instead of spending £50+ we spent £12 on drinks. I want to see great performers but will always be very selective about who I see at Hyde Park.

Would love to see Neil Young at Glastonbury again, he fits into the ethos of the place.

2 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

If any of the people I saw in the front section during the National who spent the entire time sitting down on their phones happen to post here...I'd love to hear a rational explanation for it. 

Sadly I fear it would just be "we were waiting for Florence" though. 

I don't know if I was just unlucky, but the talkers nearly ruined The National for me. Like I'm not expecting radio silence/total immersion from the crowd during what was technically a support slot, but have some fucking consideration for others and piss off with your full blown, non stop conversation out of the pit.

6 hours ago, Fleetwood_Mac_And_Cheese said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a negative view on Bob Dylan, I felt so rude leaving early in his presence and I'm not expecting a direct from vinyl performance as well but there's a line and he crossed it for me.

Don't feel rude. I'm also glad it's not just me. I left by North exit at about 21:45 and there was a stream of people leaving. Thousands I'd say. A large percentage. Like you say, there's a line.

Currently listening to Bringing It All Back Home as I type and loving it. Needed to remind myself why I went. Still a bit peeved though.

44 minutes ago, moremi said:

Went last night and Neil Young was great, on par with Glastonbury 2009. Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan, who for years does his "greatest" as new arrangements. I saw Roger Walters last year which was also sold out, plus it was incredibly hot, but never had to queue for bars unlike yesterday when it took 30 ministers to get a drink. There seemed to be a ratio of one supervisor to three bar staff and the supervisors did bugger all except to check the odd £20 pound note. I have to forget that this is not a normal festival and accept that it is corporate land. But if they want to make more money improve the ratio of bar staff. Instead of spending £50+ we spent £12 on drinks. I want to see great performers but will always be very selective about who I see at Hyde Park.

Would love to see Neil Young at Glastonbury again, he fits into the ethos of the place.

Neil was indeed on par with '09 and hope the '20 rumours are true.

Dylan was indeed Dylan but see my previous post. "Arrangements" you call them :).

Was also at Waters (sic) last year but never experienced 30 minute queues at bars then or yesterday. Always pretty much served immediately yesterday. Trick is to find the right bar. You've got places only selling "packaged" product which worked out at about £9 a pint at some bars, or others with poured pints at £5.50/£6.00. Still amazed that the cheaper ones often had the shorter queues.

Saying that: Though I didn't have a problem with queuing, the amount of time it took (in no particular oreder) between asking for a pint, getting it, handing over the money and then getting change was strange. It was like a different person was involved at each step in the transaction and they were all chatting amongst themselves during said transaction rather than getting on with their jobs. It's not the ratio of staff it's how they're allocated and managed possibly?

And why the question I got at every bar "cash or card"?. I already have my payment in hand. Can't you see? You literally didn't spot me. It was the twenty I was waving about that caught your attention. And you still asked the question?

Really enjoyed today, everyone I caught was really good. Thought The Nationals setlist was really solid for a semi-headline festival, and Florence was great (even though I only knew 3 or 4 songs). I reckon The National would've probably been more suited to the night time slot while Florence would be fine for the sunset slot, but she's obviously way bigger in the UK so it all makes sense, no real complaints.

I don’t know if it’s because I relied on Clashfinder more than the BST app for timings, but was beyond chuffed to discover Self Esteem starting on Summer Stage just as I was leaving the pit from The National.

Really great day yesterday, Let’s Eat Grandma were another highlight.