2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

This is albums I’ve listened through fully more than once. Some of the ones on the bottom end I may have only listened through twice but specifically really liked a couple of tracks, those said tracks boosting the whole album in my little rating system. (Also again, I made this the other night out of boredom and ranking how many tracks I really liked from each album, how much I liked them and comparing to how many songs I didn’t particularly like on the album and my list shouldn’t be taken seriously in anyway, I was just asking for new albums to listen to as I realised my current list is a bit bland. Didn’t post the list in the first place as didn’t think it was such a big deal when all I want is a few new albums, which some of you have provided and I must say some stellar albums been recommended so far that I need to give some more time to)

1 hour ago, The life of Pablo said:

At the moment, what is in your top 20? 

At the minute without any of these new records my top 20 is Kids See Ghosts , TA13OO (Denzel Curry), Joy As An Act Of Resistance (Ides) , Astroworld (Travis Scott), Vacation In Hell (Flatbush zombies), Slime Language (Young Thug), High as Hope (Florence + The Machine), Ye (Kanye), Daytona (Pusha T), Year Of The Snitch (Death Grips), Combat sports (The Vaccines), Dream wife, Bad Witch (Nine Inch Nails), Dear Annie (Rejjie Snow), Marble Skies (Django Django), Violence (Editors), Veteran (JPEGMafia), A Better Life (Spring King) and after two listen throughs a piece both the recommended Illusion of Perfection by Spencer Brown and You will Not Die by Nakhane are probably going to go in there with a bit more listening.

The Beths, Levellers, Baloji, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, White Denim and Anna Calvi all got one listen through each to their albums and some are decent so far the only one I don’t really like is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. The rest definitely need anothe listen but my faves from the recommended so far are deff the Spencer Brown and Nakhane albums.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TheWaters said:

The Beths, Levellers, Baloji, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, White Denim and Anna Calvi all got one listen through each to their albums and some are decent so far the only one I don’t really like is Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever. The rest definitely need anothe listen but my faves from the recommended so far are deff the Spencer Brown and Nakhane albums.

Quark made you listen to a Levellers album ahhhh I love this place.

19 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

There have only been 242 days this year. How does someone listen to over 100 albums enough times to fully form an opinion on them and rank them in that many days? Not to mention also listening to music that didn't come out this year. I have like a top 25 and at least the bottom half of those I don't even feel like I've listened to enough to have a fully formed opinion on them.

Working on the assumption that most adults will sleep 8 hours per night, he would have 16 hours per day to listen to music. 

If the average album lasts 60 minutes, he would be able to listen to each of his top 100 albums 32 times from start to finish within 200 days. 

This would allow our good friend 42 days to listen to music produced outside of 2018. 

Still working with the previous assumptions of sleep and album length and assuming he listens to each album once, he’d be able to listen to 672 other albums within this 42 day period.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/4/2018 at 10:46 AM, dentalplan said:

On the Idles album discussion; I don't actually think Joy is better than Brutalism - and I find the consensus that it is disrespectful (joke) - but it's a riot and a half. So excellent that they're hitting these heights whilst remaining 100% real; I kinda get goosebumps thinking how far they've come in a couple of years so god knows what they must be feeling.

I'd say they're pretty close but I think Joy just edges it out, I think it just has more things going on. Anyway, both albums are great and IDLES have certainly solidified themselves as one of the best Punk bands in recent memory.

Also saw them earlier today and it was great! The new songs are great live and they took requests from the crowd which was cool. Got a decent mix of singles and album tracks.

On 9/4/2018 at 2:59 PM, TheWaters said:

Been looking for some new music recently and thought this thread may help. Can anyone recommend some of the best albums of the year so far? Any genre. Recently made a list of my top 100 albums of the year but when The Xcerts, Cabbage, Blossoms etc. are all lingering around the bottom it really shows I need some new albums to make the list lmao.

Retirement Party's debut is one of my favourite albums, some good Indie/Power Pop. If you don't mind heavy stuff the new Birds In Row is great and if you don't mind really abrasive stuff The HIRS Collective put an album which just straight up rips.

Edited by justanothername

One day I will learn not to be too hasty when judging new stuff. Marauder is actually pretty solid.

What's everyone looking forward to this month? Don't think there's a single release properly on my radar. Suede's album could be a good reason to give them a proper listen I guess, as I only know a couple of their hits.

Just now, Odessa said:

One day I will learn not to be too hasty when judging new stuff. Marauder is actually pretty solid.

What's everyone looking forward to this month? Don't think there's a single release properly on my radar. Suede's album could be a good reason to give them a proper listen I guess, as I only know a couple of their hits.

Main one for me is the new Teleman album out in a couple of weeks, properly looking forward to that after seeing them earlier in the summer.

I gave Marauder another go yetserday.  It's certainly not bad, but it's still not pulling me back in for another go.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Main one for me is the new Teleman album out in a couple of weeks, properly looking forward to that after seeing them earlier in the summer.

I gave Marauder another go yetserday.  It's certainly not bad, but it's still not pulling me back in for another go.

Ahh cool, forgot about Teleman. New singles sounded good at Green Man. Will check that out for sure.

And yeah I've probably had 4 or 5 listens to Marauder now. First 2 or 3 I couldn't be arsed but it's a pretty nice vibe if you're in the mood for it. I completely wrote off their self-titled record before realising it's alright a few years ago too. Don't even think the majority of Turn On The Bright Lights grabbed me very quickly and now that's one of my all time favourites (I won't post a list of them dw dental).

10 minutes ago, Odessa said:

There's a lot out but not much I have high hopes for, although I guess that's good because I can then be surprised. Dilly Dally's new album has every right to be a corker though, after the last disc. And also the final Spiritualized album will hopefully take up a lot of my time.

11 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Not really anything I'm super pumped for but Spiritualized, Octavian mixtape, Aphex Twin EP, Beak>, Suede, Nick Cave live album will all definitely get some listens.

There's also new Macca and Chic that I'll listen to out of interest but I'm not expecting either to be any good.

17 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

It's not out officially until the 14th but Low's new album is really good. It leaked ridiculously early, over two months ago I think.

Came here to post this. Can’t say I’ve kept up with a lot of their recent releases and I’m usually the first to sigh at seeing bands do their ‘electronic album’ but saw talk about the new direction for them away from the slowcore of norm and I'm really digging it and it’s my new ‘listen until I’m sick of it’ album after already having done that with both Idles and Big Red Machine.

16 hours ago, Odessa said:

Looking forward to Clutch, Christine and the Queens, Rick and Morty Soundtrack.

3 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Christine and the Queens

Good shout, forgot that was coming.

New Macca album out today. On my listening plans for the morning along with the new Tunng and Maribou State. Going to try and catch up with the Vaccines album as well, still haven't listened to that.

I've got Eminem downloaded, but find absolutely no urge to listen to it...

Edited by Quark