2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

1 hour ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Aye as time has passed since the release of their album, I've realised that this is basically what Shame are. Not all that different from several NME hype bands of years passed.

Don't see IDLES as being that, though.

It could be worse, they could be Slaves.

I've heard a lot of people I trust insisting IDLES are worth checking out, so I'll probably give them a go if I can park my prejudices for a bit.

Sleaford Mods could take them all in a scrap though.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, henry bear said:

Me neither. They sound like what I'd imagine Sleaford Mods would if they expanded into a 5 piece. Still, the Indie Landfill gods demand it.

Now I like pouring scorn on mediocre guitar bands as next as the next man, but neither Sleaford Mods or IDLES are remotely close to indie landfill.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, henry bear said:

To me they just don’t sound particularly groundbreaking or, crucially, that good. Downvote me all you like, I’m just expressing my opinion - just like you are.

Now that's a perfectly reasonable opinion.  Saying either bands are indie landfill is objectively false.  I can see I'm late to the party here though!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

If we're in the business of moving swiftly on, that Paul McCartney album is actually pretty fun. Not nearly as shit as Fuh You promised it would be. If you were hiding from it in case Sir Paul it was daubed in randy Sheeran-lite shit then I'm here to tell you it's safe to listen to.

Yeah, it's alright.  Fuh You is eminently skippable, but the rest is ok.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Now I like pouring scorn on mediocre guitar bands as next as the next man, but neither Sleaford Mods or IDLES are remotely close to indie landfill.

What then is indie landfill? It’s just a phrase that we all possibly have different assumptions about. Perhaps to some it relates to a specific time and bands like The Kooks etc prevailed. To me, it encompasses any kind of indie act that haven’t lived up to their potential or never had much in the first place. I’m not saying IDLES won’t be looked on in 10-15 years as a great act, but so far I’m not convinced. 

I don't know if you remember a movement from the early-mid 90’s that became known as The New Wave Of The New Wave? For a while the NME and Melody Maker were all over bands like These Animal Men. This current crop of punk inspired acts (IDLES, Bad Breeding etc) reminds me of that. I hope they become more than that, I’m always on the look out for something new and genuinely exciting, but thus far they’re not doing it for me. Other people obviously feel differently and good for them. :)

Feels like everyone that was one the Shame hype train (and many more) have now jumped over to IDLES, shrugging off Shame's album as if it wasn't as good as they had originally thought. Yeah it's not as deep or intricate as moments on the IDLES effort while still falling into the same sub-genre. However it was extremely catchy and took an interesting comedic approach with its themes and lyrics, and for me it just doesn't really get old. I can't really compare them to other bands that have come and gone in that sense. I can relisten to Songs of Praise in full countless times thanks to the perfect mixture of tracks. (Something I'm also finding is beginning to happen to this IDLES album as I continue to rinse it).