2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

Only just properly catching up from last week. The Lemon Twigs' Go To School is more than a bit mad but there are some lovely songs on it and I think the majority of it works. Definitely getting better with each listen and it's probably one of my favourites of the year. Hoping for a tour announcement once these Arctics support dates have passed.

I've had a few listens to Marauder too and can't deny that it's super underwhelming. El Pintor was enjoyable but not Interpol at their best, and this is easily a step or two down from that one. Hoping it grows on me cos atm the majority of it is isn't doing a lot for me.

Gonna have to get on this Idles one asap. Surely it can't live up to this hype.

Don’t think i’ve mentioned the Slaves effort on here but it’s average, better than take control but nothing special. Can’t see a Slaves comeback happening anytime soon.

New Eminem sounds alright, miles better than revival but just a bit dried up imo and he overdoes the whole diss anyone that didn’t like revival thing.

Idles have come through with a quality second album that’s growing on me with every listen.

Buzzing for the Blinder’s debut full length release and also the new $uicideboy$ later this month, both have potential to be up there with IDLES, Shame and Travis Scott as some of my albums of the year so far.

Edited by UndergroundSound

Bit left field for what normally ends up on here, but Olafur Arnalds released his new album re:member a week a so back.  If you've not come across him before the best way I can describe it is classical with electronic beats and synths thrown in.  Very laid back, chilled stuff, definitely worth a listen.

3 hours ago, jyoung said:

That Ariana Grande record is bold + vibey af.

Meh I can't get into it. Her voice is stunning as always but I find the Pharrel production in particular very poor. Lyrics were never her strong suit either but stuff like the "picking it up" lines in NTLTC is so cringey.

I wish she had stuck with the smoother cobtemporary rnb style she had on Dangerous Woman, or moved to a darker sound similar to Banks (but I guess I can't complain, at least she seems happy with the experimenting and the whole thing still feels very Ariana and authentic even if not to my tastes)

10 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Meh I can't get into it. Her voice is stunning as always but I find the Pharrel production in particular very poor. Lyrics were never her strong suit either but stuff like the "picking it up" lines in NTLTC is so cringey.

I wish she had stuck with the smoother cobtemporary rnb style she had on Dangerous Woman, or moved to a darker sound similar to Banks (but I guess I can't complain, at least she seems happy with the experimenting and the whole thing still feels very Ariana and authentic even if not to my tastes)

I like that she's took a leap forward rather than staying in the same lane. I thought it felt like a mature progression. Someone finding their own style. It won't be for everyone, as you've experienced but it certainly works for me!

On 9/2/2018 at 12:17 PM, Odessa said:

Only just properly catching up from last week. The Lemon Twigs' Go To School is more than a bit mad but there are some lovely songs on it and I think the majority of it works. Definitely getting better with each listen and it's probably one of my favourites of the year. Hoping for a tour announcement once these Arctics support dates have passed.

I've had a few listens to Marauder too and can't deny that it's super underwhelming. El Pintor was enjoyable but not Interpol at their best, and this is easily a step or two down from that one. Hoping it grows on me cos atm the majority of it is isn't doing a lot for me.

Gonna have to get on this Idles one asap. Surely it can't live up to this hype.

It's pretty damn good.  And it really does get better as you listen to it more; I'd definitely recommend giving it a proper "pay attention" listen to get the lyrics properly.  There's a lot going on in there.

Was a bit disappointed by Marauder as well, was hoping for more but.....not really.  Will give it another go but it's not going to be getting repeated spins at this rate. Still got to try Lemon Twigs, got it downloaded but not got to it yet

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Marauder doesn't really sound like anything. One of those albums you've already forgotten about the second it finishes playing.

Spot on. Rover's the only track I can remember, and that's because it was on the 6Music playlist

2 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Idles album is projected to hit number 3 in the charts which is pretty awesome.

Came on here just to post the same. It's bloody brilliant. Saw them on Saturday at Electric Fields and they were the band of the weekend for me. Hadn't really heard of them till a couple of weeks ago.

Got to the Lemon Twigs album this morning.  Bat shit crazy. But......I really like it!

Feels like a real throwback, proper 70s light rock in the harmonies and the piano lines.  Not sure any of them work on their own as singles, but as an album that tells a story it really works.  I mean, I really felt for the bloody chimp by the end :lol:

I don't think it'll get loads of repeat listens immediately, just because it needs to be listened to from start to finish. Can't dip in and out, so not such a great album to listen to at work, but yep. Thumbs up from me.

30 minutes ago, Quark said:

Got to the Lemon Twigs album this morning.  Bat shit crazy. But......I really like it!

Feels like a real throwback, proper 70s light rock in the harmonies and the piano lines.  Not sure any of them work on their own as singles, but as an album that tells a story it really works.  I mean, I really felt for the bloody chimp by the end :lol:

I don't think it'll get loads of repeat listens immediately, just because it needs to be listened to from start to finish. Can't dip in and out, so not such a great album to listen to at work, but yep. Thumbs up from me.

Listened to the first Lemon Twigs album after it was raved about on here and hated it. They're supporting AM's over the next couple of weeks so might give them another chance before then.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Listened to the first Lemon Twigs album after it was raved about on here and hated it. They're supporting AM's over the next couple of weeks so might give them another chance before then.

Saw them in JP last year and they are very entertaining live I have to say.  How well this new stuff will translate to a live show God only knows!

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Saw them in JP last year and they are very entertaining live I have to say.  How well this new stuff will translate to a live show God only knows!

They're gonna fuckin die before the Arctic Monkeys crowd. But so might TBHC so that's something.

On the Idles album discussion; I don't actually think Joy is better than Brutalism - and I find the consensus that it is disrespectful (joke) - but it's a riot and a half. So excellent that they're hitting these heights whilst remaining 100% real; I kinda get goosebumps thinking how far they've come in a couple of years so god knows what they must be feeling.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They're gonna fuckin die before the Arctic Monkeys crowd. But so might TBHC so that's something.

Being a support act can be a thankless task.  Saw Maiden at the O2 a few years back, supported by Dragonforce.  Good band in their own right, but the Maiden crowd barely acknowledged their existence!  Bad enough at a fest, but in an arena it looked pretty crushing

Just now, Quark said:

Being a support act can be a thankless task.  Saw Maiden at the O2 a few years back, supported by Dragonforce.  Good band in their own right, but the Maiden crowd barely acknowledged their existence!  Bad enough at a fest, but in an arena it looked pretty crushing

I've actually read somewhere that supporting Iron Maiden is the toughest gig in music. I remember watching QOTSA's Download sub slot on telly and the field was full of bored Maiden fans craning their neck to see if Eddie was being prepped side-stage or something. Homme then gave a shout out to his heroes Black Sabbath, Motorhead and AC/DC, which is kinda funny if it was intentional.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've actually read somewhere that supporting Iron Maiden is the toughest gig in music. I remember watching QOTSA's Download sub slot on telly and the field was full of bored Maiden fans craning their neck to see if Eddie was being prepped side-stage or something. Homme then gave a shout out to his heroes Black Sabbath, Motorhead and AC/DC, which is kinda funny if it was intentional.

Yeah, I could believe all of that.  Maiden fans can be an odd breed. I've branched out and escaped the cult!

Been looking for some new music recently and thought this thread may help. Can anyone recommend some of the best albums of the year so far? Any genre. Recently made a list of my top 100 albums of the year but when The Xcerts, Cabbage, Blossoms etc. are all lingering around the bottom it really shows I need some new albums to make the list lmao.

5 minutes ago, TheWaters said:

Been looking for some new music recently and thought this thread may help. Can anyone recommend some of the best albums of the year so far? Any genre. Recently made a list of my top 100 albums of the year but when The Xcerts, Cabbage, Blossoms etc. are all lingering around the bottom it really shows I need some new albums to make the list lmao.

Parquet Courts, Shame, Idles, Confidence Man.