Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Small beer compared to the allegations and revelations about Win, but Arcade Fire's status hasn't been helped by them not putting a decent album out for at least a decade.

I liked Everything Now as a way-in, though am aware that a band that liked to see themselves as the new U2 have seen that album seen as their version of U2's Pop.

WE was a chore, mind.

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

Agree 100% but not all behaviours are equal. 

Win and Ryan were actually sexually taking advantage of women while being manic aggressive stalker weirdos in positions of power. Peel was a self admitted paedo.

Bowie, Page and Plant, Iggy et al slept with underage groupie girls in the early 70s at a time when it was so acceptable in society that they wrote songs about it and people bought the records.

Townshend did none of those things, to anyones knowledge. 

Yeah. But she also would've been involved in changing it from the New Tent to the Peel Tent a year after he did an  interview admitting his behaviour in depth. 

Not having a go at Emily. There was no one calling him out on this at the time. Not us on here, the BBC or his millions of listeners. His death largely buried the, err, fiddly bits untll after Me Too.

To be fair, Butler should be ostracized from decent society anyway for calling himself DJ Windows 98.

2 hours ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

Just seen the news about Standon Calling being called off! What a shame, not one I've been to but not good industry news. Sad for the regular creative teams.

Looks like they owe loads from last year too! Had no idea

Was this Tweet a few weeks ago by a stand-up I like that made me aware that something wasn't right.

1 hour ago, Bike_Like_A_Mum said:

🤣

Not on at all! Looks like a right mess...

I don't think I appreciated how far this mess went until I saw others saying they were still waiting on payments in the tens of thousands. Which is a really questionable situation for them to have left people in.

11 hours ago, beau1 said:

I doubt AF would play Glastonbury anyway; they've never had the best relationship with the festival & if they were to play UK festivals it would be to headline medium size ones. That would have been the case even before the Win allegations came out.

Yeah their appearance as a 2014 headliner was probably the right time and only time for them to get such a position imo. I assume they'd still draw a crowd even with the allegations following him around, but I can't see it being a Glasto or Reading headline any time soon. Or even matching the times they headlined Hyde Park.

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

But she also would've been involved in changing it from the New Tent to the Peel Tent a year after he did an  interview admitting his behaviour in depth. 

She was only ten when he did the interview. 

"[Arcade Fire] Win's actions are certainly questionable they are really no different to some of our beloved acts such as [X] and [Y]; and dozens of other acts that have controversial moments whether involving sexual misconduct or not."

Just to say that I find this to be a very dangerous slope. Essentially this could be read as "sexual misconduct is OK, because so many people are doing sexual misconduct". I don't accept this at all. I think Win's action are bad, and what other musicians have done feels really irrelevant.

I understand that this is a Glastonbury forum, and Glastonbury may have booked other questionable acts. But then all I can see is that then we should question those bookings as well, not accept this as the normal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

The thing with Win Butler is that there's basically nothing proven or any really concrete evidence, it's just several people saying he's a peace of sh*t and manipulative and he said he isn't. That was it, nothing more came about it since 2022 I think

• Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

The thing with Win Butler is that there's basically nothing proven or any really concrete evidence, it's just several people saying he's a peace of sh*t and manipulative and he said he isn't. That was it, nothing more came about it since 2022 I think

This is true. Apart from the testimony of five people, their text messages, the explicit photos of Win masturbating, and the independent corroboration by Pitchfork of the above by friends and associates of all five, there’s no real concrete evidence. And Win has said that he thought all five were asking for it, so it’s ok.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmanuel said:

"[Arcade Fire] Win's actions are certainly questionable they are really no different to some of our beloved acts such as [X] and [Y]; and dozens of other acts that have controversial moments whether involving sexual misconduct or not."

Just to say that I find this to be a very dangerous slope. Essentially this could be read as "sexual misconduct is OK, because so many people are doing sexual misconduct". I don't accept this at all. I think Win's action are bad, and what other musicians have done feels really irrelevant.

I understand that this is a Glastonbury forum, and Glastonbury may have booked other questionable acts. But then all I can see is that then we should question those bookings as well, not accept this as the normal.

Considering you've quoted me here...

That was my point; not that sexual misconduct is ok but rather we should be judging all artists the same for their unacceptable behavoir.

I agree with your point but you've taken my post completely out of context. The discussion revolved around the notion of how much Arcade Fire's status had been affected and if people/bookers really cared; not whether Win's actions were acceptable.

Everyone, including me thinks Win has been gross but that doesn't mean the band won't be booked, or if their status has been affected because of it.

There seems to be a double standard here that some acts are allowed to get away with and still get booked, whilst others get cancelled. 

Like I said, no-one batted an eyelid when GnR headlined last year; and two of their members were charged with statutory rape.

Edited by beau1
  • Upvote 2