Tour Announcements & Upcoming Gigs

FloorFiller

2 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

i love Napalm Death, seen them countless times since the first one in '91.

the London show in March is £40

sorry - thanks, but no thanks.

i realise the comments above are discussing the £100+ tickets (which is sickening), but at a lower level we are seeing gigs that should be a £20/£25 ticket being priced way too high.

i've pretty much given up on, and lost interest in, going to gigs these days, the cost is just way too much and all the fun has just been drained away.

my wife and i are big Springsteen fans, seen him all over the place - i really didn't want to go to ANY of his shows this year because of the crazy costs involved (and the stagnant setlist) but i was vetoed and we are going to a few - so it's comforting to know that Bruce will be in his solid gold swimming pool bathing in yet more of my money... 

We're talking slightly different eras here but totally agree with everything you have said here re smaller gigs. I feel like when I was at Uni nearly 15 years ago, I was going to the O2 Academy in Newcastle on average about 3 or 4 times a month, because if we fancied a gig we would just head out and the tickets for there used to be between £10-£20 and it was more often than not a fun night out. I don't think the venue (or similar ones of it's size) has a gig below £40/£45 these days by the time booking fees have been applied, usually for bands which do festival circuits which is why I still focus my interest on festivals these days.

But yeah, totally agree about losing interest too, I feel that when gigs were cheaper you could take a punt on a night out and if it wasn't great then so be it, no harm no foul. Too much expectation for the price for it to be a good night out these days at the minute.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'm seriously gonna become the Joker and Lady Gaga in Folie A Deux if the Boss doesn't shake up his setlists a bit this summer.

How many Springsteen gigs are you doing?

I did 7 in 2023 and still enjoyed a static setlist but id like to see a more flexible setlist for 2024 tour. Im doing 10 gigs this year across UK and Europe.

Just now, Wakey321 said:

I did 7 in 2023 and still enjoyed a static setlist but id like to see a more flexible setlist for 2024 tour. Im doing 10 gigs this year across UK and Europe.

Just the three - and only five overall in two years. Small fry compared to your 17. Was only going to do one but got my arm twisted into going to London - and then he added a second night and I was down there anyway....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Pretty sure most of the ticket price goes to charity.

I believe artists donate their fees/play for free (Daltry and Noel G are both patrons and pretty good at getting their mates to show up), See take their cut through booking fees so it's only really the venue that takes a cut.

Plus there's support/sponsorship from external companies that help with costs too.

Yep all time is donated free . According to townshend in 2000 it was costing him to play - dunno if he was paying the roadies out his own pocket or something. I know when i saw roger daltrey post pandemic (not charity gig) he said it was purely to give the support (roadies etc) an income. I know that its easy to be generous when you're minted  but still could take the dollar. 

Robert plant has been playing tiny venues for 30quid (started to get bigger and more expensive last tour but  £50) and thats a full band. He could charge more and play bigger venues but again appears to be at a point he does it cos he wants to and not for the money. 

15 minutes ago, Wakey321 said:

Tbh I get the impression he might’ve aged out of the setlists changing from night to night and one or two songs switching in and out is probably the best it’s gonna get henceforth. 

5 minutes ago, FloopFiller said:

Tbh I get the impression he might’ve aged out of the setlists changing from night to night and one or two songs switching in and out is probably the best it’s gonna get henceforth. 

Probably.  But while age is definitely a factor the Boss cognoscenti seemed to think he was doing more of a thematically-driven show this time out after his storytelling run on Broadway.

2 hours ago, northernangel said:

Yup. The issue we have is too, when people are going to pay these prices without batting an eyelid it will only increase. 

This year could comfortably be the last I commit to seeing a gig. I have a ticketmaster voucher from my birthday and I'm even a bit like don't use it on a any gig just to use it.

I'm guilty of this to an extent, though it is a conscious choice. I'd rather go to watch one of my favourite bands (or two in this case to be fair, which does increase the value a bit) than go to the pub or out for food or even to the football which I now look at as the same price as a decent mid-range gig, so I'm just balancing things out based on what I want to do the most. 

28 minutes ago, crumbler said:

You're getting a stellar four-band bill for that money though.

well, horses for courses n' all that - i'd like to see Wormrot but could care less about the other two bands.

i don't really accept the idea of the price being ok because of the support bill - its a Napalm Death gig, not a touring festival.

back in the day you'd have 2 /3 /4 top bands playing but it would just be a Napalm Death (or whoever) gig.

remember the days of paying £6 for a ticket at the Marquee and getting, for example, Pestilence, Cancer, Malevolent Creation?

or to use ND as an example the show with Obituary and Dismember in '92 was £7.50

google tells me that £6 in 1991 would be £14 today, dread to think how much a ticket for that show would be today (not that that would be possible unfortunately - RIP Brett) but i'm pretty sure £14 would maybe just about cover the fees.

there were no fees to pay back then either as you could just walk up to the box office, and so long as you paid in cash there were zero fees, just face value.

so yeah, all i'm saying is, its a ND show and i'm paying to see ND, whoever is supporting is irrelevant so i dont accept it justifies the cost.

damn... i really am a moany old bastard....

i remember when it was all fields around here......

😀

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Just the three - and only five overall in two years. Small fry compared to your 17. Was only going to do one but got my arm twisted into going to London - and then he added a second night and I was down there anyway....

Only doing 3 this time, as things stand, Cardiff, Milan 2 and London 2. I don't see the setlist changing, and only booked London because it's the last night and I really don't think we'll see him and the band over here again. 

As for gigs, there are still plenty of great smaller venues to support, providing you live in a city. Can easily take a punt on some new stuff for not much more than a couple of pints.

17 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Only doing 3 this time, as things stand, Cardiff, Milan 2 and London 2. I don't see the setlist changing, and only booked London because it's the last night and I really don't think we'll see him and the band over here again. 

As for gigs, there are still plenty of great smaller venues to support, providing you live in a city. Can easily take a punt on some new stuff for not much more than a couple of pints.

This. All well and good saying x band who have been around years charging so much, but every band was small once, and if you want to go to a smaller venue for a tenner, there are plenty of venues around the country to find something you like.

Also find that record store shows for more well known offer incredible value. Seen some huge bands at Banquet in Kingston.

4 hours ago, gingerevans84 said:

This. All well and good saying x band who have been around years charging so much, but every band was small once, and if you want to go to a smaller venue for a tenner, there are plenty of venues around the country to find something you like.

Also find that record store shows for more well known offer incredible value. Seen some huge bands at Banquet in Kingston.

Yes to this. Support the small independent venues and the acts playing in them. So much good live music for a fraction of the cost.

Record store supported shows are a great way of seeing a well known act at a fraction of the price and in better venues. 

4 hours ago, The Nal said:

My itch is well truly scratched. 

Unless he shakes up the setlists big league. 

Time he gave us the setlists heavy on the first two albums that the US got in fall 2016. 

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm guilty of this to an extent, though it is a conscious choice. I'd rather go to watch one of my favourite bands (or two in this case to be fair, which does increase the value a bit) than go to the pub or out for food or even to the football which I now look at as the same price as a decent mid-range gig, so I'm just balancing things out based on what I want to do the most. 

I don't think it's a case of being guilty, I don't think you are wrong for it. It is not for me to judge what you feel an act is worth for you to see. Just pointing out kinda how it is.

6 hours ago, -TLR- said:

i love Napalm Death, seen them countless times since the first one in '91.

the London show in March is £40

sorry - thanks, but no thanks.

i realise the comments above are discussing the £100+ tickets (which is sickening), but at a lower level we are seeing gigs that should be a £20/£25 ticket being priced way too high.

i've pretty much given up on, and lost interest in, going to gigs these days, the cost is just way too much and all the fun has just been drained away.

my wife and i are big Springsteen fans, seen him all over the place - i really didn't want to go to ANY of his shows this year because of the crazy costs involved (and the stagnant setlist) but i was vetoed and we are going to a few - so it's comforting to know that Bruce will be in his solid gold swimming pool bathing in yet more of my money... 

Yes I agree with you. I was driving earlier and skipping some songs from artists I like that I've only just put on my playlist because they just don't interest me anymore and kind of getting the realisation that the choice not to spend the money is a warranted one.

Susanne Sundfør is set to announce some dates next week. Unclear if they’ll include UK dates but would be thrilled if that’s the case. Her latest record was such an understated gem of 2023. Could see her crushing an early-evening Park set

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Yep.

image.thumb.png.66d0fac59d1d9cd7a082ec6a1b27cc80.png

Gosh, I do hope for a bit of a shake-up. Doesn't need to be buckets either. Just five or six a night, and more random than simply rotating between A and B list options.

That said, I got the lone tour spot of Racing in the Street last year, so no complaints there. I'm missing Jungleland - and somehow, a full-band Thunder Road for the must-haves.