"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Yes they are big enough.

No they're not, in a million years, and I bloody love the National! 

Go look at 2016 head & subs for both stages. Even down to 3rd. The national aren't anywhere remotely as known as any of those acts.

For Pyramid : Muse, foals, Adele, tame impala, Coldplay, beck. 

Other: Bastille, disclosure, new order, churches, LCD, PJ Harvey. 

bands that played 3rd down included 1975, bring me horizon, catfish, Ellie Goulding, zz top & last shadow puppets. All generally radio 1/2 (6at a push) fodder popular amongst average music listeners. The national are great but are fairly obscure & unknown amongst the Pyramid / other type crowd. 

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Nah I wouldn't read too much into the poster mate. 2 big stages + first 6 names on poster doesn't = head + sub for the 3 nights.  The national are afternoon / early evening filler, 3rd from top at best. 

Tbf they did announce a tour that was no larger than big academy today and the London dates are equivalent to an 02 Arena but Sheeran who played 3rd down last time also had a big! tour later on in the year.

2 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Go look at 2016 head & subs for both stages. Even down to 3rd. The national aren't anywhere remotely as known as any of those acts.

bands that played 3rd down included 1975, bring me horizon, catfish, Ellie Goulding, zz top & last shadow puppets. All generally radio 1/2 (6at a push) fodder popular amongst average music listeners. The national are great but are fairly obscure & unknown amongst the Pyramid / other type crowd. 

Other headliner does make sense due to their niche following, Nick Cave for me is too but the latest announced gigs were arenas and Nick Cave's name is known, It think finding people who aren't fans who will know The National front man is slim.

1 minute ago, scott44 said:

Van Morrison?

He is free that weekend, playing Cornwall the weekend after and was booked for 2015 but pulled out when it was leaked, hence Burt Bacharach booked at late notice.

Also I still reckon Kraftwerk and Jackson Browne

I considered it but surely he wouldn't want anyone to be suggesting him, working it out or too high question over it if he could pull again.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

I considered it but surely he wouldn't want anyone to be suggesting him, working it out or too high question over it if he could pull again.

Apparently he's got a house in the square behind the pub I'm in later I'll go knock on his door and ask! 

14 minutes ago, Wilfko said:

Honestly, (opening myself to abuse here once you read the rest) but I consider my music knowledge to be pretty good, and I'd never even heard of them before the poster! 

well then you are vastly overestimating your music knowledge, which obviously isn't great, as they've had top 5 albums in both the UK and US, headlined Latitude last year and are pretty critically acclaimed.

4 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

They're bigger than half of those acts, and at least as big as Beck who subbed last year. As said above, they're almost certainly subbing Foos so the bookers obviously agree.

They're on the small side for a sub, sure, but they're still big enough to do it. The thing with acts like this, who have a cult following, is that you maybe have to give them bigger slots than their crowd size would dictate, on the basis that if not they'd just stick to their own shows/festivals more suited to them. Same with LCD last year. It's either give them a big slot knowing that they may not draw the biggest crowd, or miss out on them entirely.

11 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Chvrches subbed the National last year at Latitude (a festival they've headlined twice now), and The National have also headlined other festivals that some of those acts were at (Primavera, with Foals, Chvrches again and Disclosure - all 3 of them, admittedly not quite at peak fame then, but not really far off it).

I'd also argue they're a bigger draw than Tame Impala.

Edited by merago
Addition of afterhought :)

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

They're bigger than half of those acts, and at least as big as Beck who subbed last year. As said above, they're almost certainly subbing Foos so the bookers obviously agree.

They're on the small side for a sub, sure, but they're still big enough to do it. The thing with acts like this, who have a cult following, is that you maybe have to give them bigger slots than their crowd size would dictate, on the basis that if not they'd just stick to their own shows/festivals more suited to them. Same with LCD last year. It's either give them a big slot knowing that they may not draw the biggest crowd, or miss out on them entirely.

I get what you're saying, but latitude isn't Glasto, by a long shot in any way; crowd size or demographic. 

43 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Nah I wouldn't read too much into the poster mate. 2 big stages + first 6 names on poster doesn't = head + sub for the 3 nights.  The national are afternoon / early evening filler, 3rd from top at best. 

well 5 of the first 6 names on the poster are the Pyramid headliners and subs.

unless you think it's just a massive co-incidence that the first 3 names are the Pyramid headliners all listed in correct order of day, then 4th is the Friday Pyramid sub (The xx) and 6th is the Sunday Pyramid sub (Biffy Clyro).

then for the laugh they've just thrown The National in between them, when by your reckoning they're "afternoon filler".

:rolleyes:

e: and that's leaving aside the fact that the Other headliners are almost certainly listed in order on the 4th line too, the Sunday one we're already sure of as it has been confirmed (BBK).

Edited by ghostdancer1

4 minutes ago, merago said:

Chvrches subbed the National last year at Latitude (a festival they've headlined twice now), and The National have also headlined other festivals that some of those acts were at (Primavera, with Foals, Chvrches again and Disclosure - all 3 of them, admittedly not quite at peak fame then, but not really far off it).

It's how we define 'bigger.' We obviously love them but truth is 70-90% of the average other / Pyramid crowd won't know a single song, so risk is they'll fall flat or be ignored by people just waiting for who's on next. I'd love them on the park stage headlining and playing until they stopped with tiredness & exhaustion !

Just now, Bonaneas said:

It's how we define 'bigger.' We obviously love them but truth is 70-90% of the average other / Pyramid crowd won't know a single song, so risk is they'll fall flat or be ignored by people just waiting for who's on next. I'd love them on the park stage headlining and playing until they stopped with tiredness & exhaustion !

Oh, I agree, the Pyramid is not where I'd ideally place them.  My heart sank a little when it started to seem that was where they'd be.  I'm still holding out hope for Other headliner, but it sounds like that's unlikely.

12 minutes ago, merago said:

I'd also argue they're a bigger draw than Tame Impala.

Yes but Chvrches only subbed Other so The 1975 could play more places....easily would have been reversed. There isn't a chance they are a bigger draw than Tame Impala. 

I remember Kevin Parker, Nick Cave and I don't like either band, I haven't got a clue who anyone who plays for the other is.

They have had albums at 3rd and 5th in the UK but even their US sales aren't that convincing, they are very niche to their crowd. What they have done at European fests has no barring on English one's. 

7 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

It can only be one thing im thinking now.

This lot are getting back together....ahhh nu metal...my old friend haha

I had no idea what defenestration meant so I looked it up...

Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window

Random fact for the day ticked off 

Edited by mario man
  • Upvote 1