"Really big secret"

Supernintendo Chalmers

won't be anyone big. gonna be such an anti climax. maybe it's coldplay. could it be a new area? i think it's a thursday headliner. certainly a park secret set. maybe it's coldplay. new area? park set. not anybody big. disappointing. coldplay? thursday? let down. coldplay?

• Upvote 1

Just now, SwedgeAntilles said:

Honestly mate, I'm not trying to pish on your chips but come on. You can't get into fucking William's Green on a Thursday night, there's no way they're putting an act like that on the Pyramid with nothing else on the other stages. 

I know but other areas / stages are open by look of it so far, truth stage, glade, silver Hayes, Williams green, etc.

52 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Were they being c**ts before you told them they were c**ts?

For the record, I think they are a bunch of c**ts.

Let my story but 7 am stumbling around , saw a group of lads , asked them where something was (I forget what) they were really stand offish no GLASTO spirit . So we asked them who they wanted to see and if they were going to watch pendulum bush I think it was . They replied Fuck no we are on (insert stage name here) grabbed my guide went to that stage and time saw the kooks. So we said your the Kooks. Yes they said . You're a bunch of c**ts we replied. They stormed off off in a huff . I was rolling around on the floor laughing 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

There is no way of a Thursday night headliner, would be a health and safety nightmare with nothing significant going on elsewhere and everyone descending on the pyramid

There is thursday nights for Shangri-la so it could be.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

The way she's said it suggests to me that it's either an act who'd be considered a worthy headliner, of an act like The Kinks where their reunion would be considered something very special by itself.

thats what I get from this as well...as I stated yesterday, I really dont see how and why theyd go to this length to keep something secret(and considering the time of year it is and the amount of potential leaks it must have taken great lengths!) if it wasnt going to be something pretty incredible......it simply wouldnt be worth it for a minor announcement 

9 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

I'm going with a big name band that had their own huge stadium gigs to sell before Glasto could announce them, are in the vicinity, and coupled with a Thursday headline slot. This leaves GnR, Stone Roses, Depeche Mode. Any others about? 

People have mentioned the licence required for Thursday but unless you've seen the actual licence then it's still a possible, given there's no fest next year so why not have an extra night. 

we have a resident depeche mode source who says it's not them, so it probably isn't.

12 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

People have mentioned the licence required for Thursday but unless you've seen the actual licence then it's still a possible, given there's no fest next year so why not have an extra night. 

This is efests, there's plenty obsessives on here. Many of us have actually seen the relevant parts of the licence(s), or the EMP.

It can't happen in any viable way without an application being made to MDC. There hasn't been an application made to date, and there's a high chance that any application would be rejected.

Thursday night on a large stage would surely cause all sorts of crowd issues (due not much else to keep people away, during or before)? Can't see it being that, for that reason plus licence issues.  

Edit: I now see a few people above have said the same. I agree with them :)

Edited by neil_d

1 minute ago, neil_d said:

Thursday night on a large stage would surely cause all sorts of crowd issues (due not much else to keep people away, during or before)? Can't see it being that, for that reason plus licence issues.  

Yeah you're right, it'll only work if they literally add a whole day/night worth of music on all the other stages.  

17 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

I'm going with a big name band that had their own huge stadium gigs to sell before Glasto could announce them, are in the vicinity, and coupled with a Thursday headline slot. This leaves GnR, Stone Roses, Depeche Mode. Any others about? 

Depeche Mode are in Berlin on the Thursday night I think. They are only free on the Friday and Saturday.

Hows about Talking Heads or U2

4 minutes ago, incident said:

This is efests, there's plenty obsessives on here. Many of us have actually seen the relevant parts of the licence(s), or the EMP.

It can't happen in any viable way without an application being made to MDC. There hasn't been an application made to date, and there's a high chance that any application would be rejected.

And to back that up, they had to apply for a licence amendment and publish it for Cinemaggedeon to show films on Thurs night.IMG_20170512_124144.thumb.jpg.6b40bcd8bd05047d8e5bb449579634ff.jpg

1 hour ago, Jugtanion said:

If it's anyone of Led Zep size (not that there is anyone), my money's on The Ginger One being in on the secret and being knocked down a peg. It won't be anyone particularly bombastic in that case because it's Sunday. Could be The Mac though.

My money is also on one of your suggestions / something akin to

It's almost defo going to be someone that wouldn't just come on the 2nd poster, my guess would be hugely bigger than any other sub we have right now and an American artist that wants to play and by taking a lower slot than some might think in their favor, with an extended past normal set length...unless it's the sub on Saturday. I'd actually not mind The Weeknd but in all fairness I don't think he has that 'wow' going on.

An act that wants to play the festival and it would help them right now. Defo won't be a guest to another as that just happens at the time, it's one of the things about Glasto so why kill.the hype, Taylor I doubt would agree to it yet as her demand is too high

I can't believe you're making me add fuel to the R.E.M. fire by reminding people of the end of the last Radiohead trailer for OKNOTOK(although I know its a programming term) but still

I can't believe there is a suggestion of R.E.M.  Why do you do this.  Them and Radiohead are my 2 favourite bands, with The National my 3rd favourite.

34 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep. Gaga slips into the saturday night slot of doom while the national triumphantly headline the other stage.........on friday, clashing with radiohead and flaming lips. 

It was ever thus.

No no no

No more acts I want to see can fit into the Friday evening slots. 

Regarding the licence and Thursday operation - let me clear this up hopefully for the last time.

A large chunk of the 2015 licence is online here. Within that document, there's (at least) 2 distinct reasons why the Pyramid cannot operate in any useful way on the Wednesday or Thursday:

- The licence designates specific opening hours for 16 "Main Stages". Those stages are only permitted to operate for specific hours on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Annoyingly the document doesn't specify which stages are which (as the accompanying map isn't included), but it should be fairly safe to assume that the Pyramid, Other, and West Holts are the first 3 and so have permitted hours of 10:00-24:000 on Friday and Saturday, with the curfew an hour earlier on Sunday.

- Seperate to that, the Festival as a whole is subject to overall noise limits as stated already in this thread. This means that on the Thursday, sound systems are very limited.

There's a minor exception for testing purposes on the Thursday, but this is only allowed between 4pm and 8pm. And the Festival has previously been in trouble for putting a live band on the Jazz World on the Thursday as a "test" so that's very unlikely to happen again.