If I hadn't been to Glastonbury I would never have...

bexj

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run around a field singing the Flintstones theme, pretending to be ostriches and surrounding unsuspecting punters to embarrass them.

Danced and sung to cheesy 80s style pop in the rain (Lekkido the Lord of the Lobsters)

Listened to Raisin Flower's story about his upbringing on an island (I think)

Gone to see small bands in pub venues that I'd never have known they were playing if I hadn't seen them play at Glastonbury

Felt I could overcome the establishment just by listening to Billy Bragg

Felt so tired I was literally falling asleep on my feet - I didn't think this was possible

Been so excited for repeating it all again

Sorry to go all deep and 'woe is me' on this thread, but:

Before I started going to Glastonbury, I had really bad anxiety and was treated pretty terribly by a group of people who I thought were my friends. I also have dyspraxia which only heightened my anxiety. It's quite a misunderstood disability and much more than just a co-ordination problem. I used to think really lowly of myself and pretty much hated the fact that I had these things in my life and I used to constantly ask myself why I couldn't just be normal. On the first day of 2008 I realized that there are people out there just like me, who have to put up with different things in their lives but just goton with it and had fun.

So I guess if I hadn't have gone to Glastonbury in 2008, I would never have realized that it's ok to have something unusual about you and nobody's gonna judge you for it. Obviously there are some dicks in this world, but fuck 'em.

Wouldn't have spent the last however many months obsessively checking efestivals

Wouldn't have been arguing over the merits of tartiflette for the past 3 years

Wouldn't have perfected the art of face glitter

Wouldn't have realised that vegan breakfast is absolutely NOT the one when you're savagely hungover

Wouldn't have realised how much total strangers enjoy watching you throw up said vegan breakfast into the nearest bin

Wouldn't have discovered the quaffibility (and thus inherent dangers) of JD Honey

And in 2016, wouldn't have started going out with my ex....well, they can't all be positive, can they? :lol:

37 minutes ago, daisylane said:

I'm intrigued!! 

Will try to keep it short. Basically our group's plan in '08 was to head to my folks (25 mins from Pilton) on the Monday after the fest to get a shower, some BBQ and a well earned night's sleep before heading back up north where we all lived on the Tuesday with the added bonus of avoiding the horrific traffic.

One of our number went somewhat feral for the 5 days on site, refusing to wash, change clothes or observe basic tenets of hygiene. He pissed himself on at least one occasion we know of and having worn only shorts for the entire time was suitably caked I'm mud.

On the Monday we managed to get back in one piece.  This chap had stayed up with a bottle of whiskey on the Sunday and was still in a merry mood. Arriving at my folks doorstep and upon seeing the mess that was our friend my mother refused to let him cross the threshold until he stripped down to his birthday suit. Being a no nonsense nurse she then marched him to the shower (despite his protestations) to the shower where he was duly scrubbed down in a manner that I imagine residents of a gulag would find less comfortable than their own predicament. My sister (also a nurse) assisted. I understand no happy ending was proffered. 

NB. We were 30 at the time.

NB. This friend is now married with two kids.

NB. He remembers the experience fondly.....my mum less so

14 minutes ago, Tables innit said:

Arriving at my folks doorstep and upon seeing the mess that was our friend my mother refused to let him cross the threshold until he stripped down to his birthday suit. Being a no nonsense nurse she then marched him to the shower (despite his protestations) to the shower where he was duly scrubbed down in a manner that I imagine residents of a gulag would find less comfortable than their own predicament.

NB. He remembers the experience fondly.....my mum less so

Wow. I hope your poor mother gets a damehood for having to endure that experience! 

Burned a few relationships .

I was once  told I was miserable for the 6 months after Glasto and uncommunitive and then hyper for the 6 months leading upto it and yes still uncommunitive !

But it is difficult to sit down and discuss things if Neil has just done a big update on the rumours page ! 

Been called a 'cool mum'. Pretty much everything else I do is deeply uncool, but taking my kids to Glastonbury is one of the best things I can do for them. They both have problems with social interaction but the festival frees them to talk to people without fear of being put down or humiliated. Come to think of it that describes me too!