Festival "fashion" - what's your take on the concept?

OneLittleFish

What's your take on "festival fashion"?  

278 members have voted

1. 1. What importance does festival fashion have to you?

• It's really important that I'm looking good or fashionable at a festival. It's a social event and I went to look my best
    • I want to look decent but wouldn't go overboard with what I'm wearing
    • It doesn't hold that much importance to me but I still put thought into how I appear at a festival
    • I don't care at all, I take old clothes and whatever is on the tent floor first I put on
    • I'm a member of the Wurzels

I think just wearing whatever your comfortable wearing is the key to contributing to a decent festival atmosphere. Whether that's an old t-shirt and trousers, or a sequin dress, just being your true self is what counts.

In the near past, as a student, I've tried to wear whats fashionable to people my own age (which is just standard branded sportswear rave nonsense), but I've gave up on that and just wear the most practical clothing I can which ends up looking better anyway. The less brands the better really.

I also think the people that don fancy dress just for others enjoyment and contributing to the atmosphere are absolute heroes.

16 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Being bothered about what you look like is the main thing ruining festival atmospheres.

Camera phones are the problem.

Less phones, more drugs needed.

Yep, when I started going, by the Saturday everyone, male and female alike, looked like Rick Grimes from season 5 of the Walking Dead- it was liberating that no one gave a toot about what they looked like.

amc-the-walking-dead_season-5_episode-9-

I'm happy to admit that I tend to buy a lot of new clothes for Glastonbury, nothing expensive or branded, but for me it's no different to a holiday and it's all part of the fun. For me it's nice to go away and have a few new things to wear that you feel good in rather than putting on something you have worn day to day about 20 times already. I don't buy anything outlandish or quirky (nothing wrong with doing so) but I do dress a bit differently to how I do in normal life, again all part of the fun. My work is smart casual so my casual clothes tend to blend into my work clothes anyway, so all the more reason for me to have some new stuff for something like Glastonbury that is new and different.

Old t-shirts/shirts, shorts almost constantly and old shitty shoes/walking boots. Might occasionally buy something new but that's usually because I don't already own it and not because I want a brand spanking new one for Glastonbury. Looking back through old festival photos and I'm pretty much wearing the same shit year in year out :lol: especially in years like last year what's the point in bringing a whole new wardrobe that's just gonna get fucked immediately?

I wear pretty much what I wear outside of the festival, but with a hat. I look stupid in a hat, but I'm not washing my hair every day so hat it is.

I couldn't care less what other people do or don't wear. But if you're spending more time worrying what you're wearing at the festival than enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Old t-shirts/shirts, shorts almost constantly and old shitty shoes/walking boots. Might occasionally buy something new but that's usually because I don't already own it and not because I want a brand spanking new one for Glastonbury. Looking back through old festival photos and I'm pretty much wearing the same shit year in year out :lol: especially in years like last year what's the point in bringing a whole new wardrobe that's just gonna get fucked immediately?

That was the main appeal of the white jacket :D  It looked so incongruous! 

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

* cut to late 60s / early 70s festival footage of lots of hippies wearing scarves, afghan coats and sequinned headbands who were clearly following the fashions of their time *

Fair point, but.... that isn't quite the same in my opinion.  Their look was not as contrived, it was more organic. Obviously with no proof, but the hippy look was a look a lot had in "everyday life" - rather than a "festival fashion". If that makes sense.

I tend to a wear a mix of new and older stuff but I do think about what to wear before I go. Anything new I buy is cheap-ish as it'll inevitably end up covered in beer and mud. Not that it matters too much like as I go feral within about 5 minutes of walking through the gates and can barely be bothered to brush my hair...

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Last year watching someone shout "please don't get mud on my jeans" as we were pulling the trolly up the hill on the Wednesday was pretty funny.

Ha ha, no way! Good grief.